Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit blackout warning to channels.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

When sky Q over internet begins, will you consider moving from VM?
View Poll Results: When Sky Q over internet begins, will you consider moving from VM?
Yes 24 30.77%
No 45 57.69%
Maybe (please state reasons in thread). 9 11.54%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19-04-2018, 02:22   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
When sky Q over internet begins, will you consider moving from VM?

Personally i'll decide when I see what's on offer and for what price.

I think people will be tempted as they'll be able to get Sky Atlantic and it should work out cheaper than paying VM and Now TV.

Those who only have cable because they can't or don't want a dish on their wall will finally have a choice.

Apparently, it will also include a Freeview tuner, so that should end the current situation with VM where channels on Freeview (like Freesports) aren't available to paying customers! Of course, this would need an aerial, but since DSO I've seen people receive excellent reception even with indoor aerials.

I think that this could be the biggest threat to cable TV since the introduction of satellite television in the 1980's.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 19-04-2018 at 02:27.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-04-2018, 03:01   #2
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: When sky Q over internet begins, will you consider moving from VM?

I use neither Virgin nor Sky. The series that interest me have been made available to me by friends either in the US or Canada. I get to see them before they appear here.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 10:36   #3
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Sky Atlantic is tosh. Can get it via Sky Go, but there's never been anything on worth watching, mostly crap US imports.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 12:59   #4
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

And who supports what? I can just see Sky supporting the box saying it's the ISP and the ISP the box.
Old 19-04-2018, 13:03   #5
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

Though internet is much more reliable these days, I still would not like to trust it for all TV programmes, especially with the extra strain put on it by lots of people streaming
oliver1948uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 13:08   #6
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1948uk View Post
Though internet is much more reliable these days, I still would not like to trust it for all TV programmes, especially with the extra strain put on it by lots of people streaming
Lots of people still use Sky satellite and will do for a long while yet. I'd much sooner use the Sky Q over satellite if it's an option.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 13:45   #7
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

I'm a "maybe". I currently have the full VM TV (whatever that's called these days) and top it up with Netflix and the occasional month with NowTV when there's something I fancy on Sky Atlantic. I can't have a dish on the outside of my home and have never wanted to directly line Murdoch's pocket, but neither of these will be relevant in 2019. We've been NTL/VM TV customers since the late nineties.
We're under contract until next January and we are in no hurry to leave VM/Netflix as, Atlantic aside, they give us everything we want to watch at an affordable price. But I'm intrigued by the new Sky Q and when it finally launches I'll consider the price (I'm on a good deal at the moment and I'm not prepared to pay more) and reports on its reliability. Having said that, I'm more likely to drop VM TV and just use Netflix and NowTV, possibly with a Freeview recorder, than try something new and probably flakey at launch. At the moment, Mrs Nialli is very happy with our pair of V6 boxes and her Netflix/VM combo, and that's probably the biggest factor of all...
But never say never, which is why I've said 'Maybe'

Last edited by nialli; 19-04-2018 at 13:49.
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 14:07   #8
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I'd imagine it will be like the Italian box with terrestrial tuners.
Old 19-04-2018, 15:12   #9
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Personally i'll decide when I see what's on offer and for what price.

I think people will be tempted as they'll be able to get Sky Atlantic and it should work out cheaper than paying VM and Now TV.

Those who only have cable because they can't or don't want a dish on their wall will finally have a choice.

Apparently, it will also include a Freeview tuner, so that should end the current situation with VM where channels on Freeview (like Freesports) aren't available to paying customers! Of course, this would need an aerial, but since DSO I've seen people receive excellent reception even with indoor aerials.

I think that this could be the biggest threat to cable TV since the introduction of satellite television in the 1980's.
I doubt that having a tuner as part of the Sky Q will be that much of a draw, to be honest. If you have an aerial, then I would imagine that you will already have resolved the problem of the 'missing' terrestrials on Virgin, not that they are anything to write home about.

I have an aerial and I can receive the terrestrial channels both through my TV and through my DVD recorder. So there doesn't appear to be anything in the new Sky offer that would interest me, but maybe they will have a few surprises in store to make me re-consider.

The Sky Q interface is far better than Virgin's, but I prefer the way Virgin works. I really don't like the fact that you have to wait for your on demand selections to be downloaded before you can watch them, for example.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 16:39   #10
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I doubt that having a tuner as part of the Sky Q will be that much of a draw, to be honest. If you have an aerial, then I would imagine that you will already have resolved the problem of the 'missing' terrestrials on Virgin, not that they are anything to write home about.

I have an aerial and I can receive the terrestrial channels both through my TV and through my DVD recorder. So there doesn't appear to be anything in the new Sky offer that would interest me, but maybe they will have a few surprises in store to make me re-consider.

The Sky Q interface is far better than Virgin's, but I prefer the way Virgin works. I really don't like the fact that you have to wait for your on demand selections to be downloaded before you can watch them, for example.
you can start watching a download before it has finished downloading.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 17:23   #11
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

For me UHD is usually available to view in under 15 seconds.
Old 19-04-2018, 19:43   #12
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Sky Atlantic is tosh. Can get it via Sky Go, but there's never been anything on worth watching, mostly crap US imports.

In your opinion of course, i'd be surprised if there wasn't something on Atlantic that most people would enjoy.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 22:08   #13
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
For me UHD is usually available to view in under 15 seconds.
For me, the UHD is the big selling point. That would definitely tempt me if Virgin did not move forward on this soon.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 22:52   #14
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1948uk View Post
I think that might be one of the reasons why there will be a terrestrial TV tuner included, so that all TV is not lost in the event of internet failure.

---------- Post added at 21:52 ---------- Previous post was at 21:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
I'm a "maybe". I currently have the full VM TV (whatever that's called these days) and top it up with Netflix and the occasional month with NowTV when there's something I fancy on Sky Atlantic. I can't have a dish on the outside of my home and have never wanted to directly line Murdoch's pocket, but neither of these will be relevant in 2019. We've been NTL/VM TV customers since the late nineties.
We're under contract until next January and we are in no hurry to leave VM/Netflix as, Atlantic aside, they give us everything we want to watch at an affordable price. But I'm intrigued by the new Sky Q and when it finally launches I'll consider the price (I'm on a good deal at the moment and I'm not prepared to pay more) and reports on its reliability. Having said that, I'm more likely to drop VM TV and just use Netflix and NowTV, possibly with a Freeview recorder, than try something new and probably flakey at launch. At the moment, Mrs Nialli is very happy with our pair of V6 boxes and her Netflix/VM combo, and that's probably the biggest factor of all...
But never say never, which is why I've said 'Maybe'
I'm also on a very good deal, but would certainly not pay any more either. If this was ever withdrawn or reduced i'd consider Sky Q over the internet along with all other providers.

Also, as it stands, Sky cannot legally refuse to put all the dross onto their EPG if they pay the appropriate fees. I imagine that this service will be covered by cable legislation where they can choose what goes on as VM can (apart from the PSB channels in SD that they have to carry).
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 01:32   #15
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM Phone : Sky Mobile : Sky TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
In your opinion of course, i'd be surprised if there wasn't something on Atlantic that most people would enjoy.
Not just his opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter
Not until the majority of the UK gets decent fibre internet.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote