Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Superhub turning into wi-fi hot spot.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Superhub turning into wi-fi hot spot.

Old 18-01-2018, 13:28   #1
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Superhub turning into wi-fi hot spot.

Just got an email from VM telling me they're planning to change home user's superhubs into wi-fi hot spots. I have a SH2 and it's the first I've heard of this but is it anything to be concerned about?
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-01-2018, 14:09   #2
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
Re: Superhub turning into wi-fi hot spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Just got an email from VM telling me they're planning to change home user's superhubs into wi-fi hot spots. I have a SH2 and it's the first I've heard of this but is it anything to be concerned about?

You can opt out as far as I'm aware, although you won't be able to use any of the hot spots via the Virginmedia app if you do.

It's basically what BT do with their hubs and shouldn't impact your connection.

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 14:21   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

BT have done this for years. As a BT customer I have often benefited from access to such hotspots wherever I am in the country. At home I have never suffered from having my bandwidth shared because it is quite tightly managed and only releases a small portion of it for the hotspot to use.

If they implement it like BT the hotspot will have a completely different name and IP address but you won't be able to influence the way it works in any way. No blocking protocols, ports, setting up access schedules, a DMZ or anything else you might like to do with your home router.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 14:35   #4
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I wonder how much power it consumes? And what happens to your access to the hotspots if you habitually turn your router off at night?
Taf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 14:38   #5
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0id View Post
You can opt out as far as I'm aware, although you won't be able to use any of the hot spots via the Virginmedia app if you do.
Actually opting out your own hotspot doesn't affect your ability to use the rest of the Virgin Media WiFi service.

---------- Post added at 13:37 ---------- Previous post was at 13:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
BT have done this for years. As a BT customer I have often benefited from access to such hotspots wherever I am in the country. At home I have never suffered from having my bandwidth shared because it is quite tightly managed and only releases a small portion of it for the hotspot to use.
It works differently to BT. A separate service flow is added to the Hub, so it doesn't take anything away from your home connection. Whereas my understand is that for BT it takes some of the overall sync speed for the extra WiFi connection.

So for instance instead of having one 100Mb config, there is for instance 100Mb + 20Mb.

---------- Post added at 13:38 ---------- Previous post was at 13:37 ----------

I'd also point out that this has been running on the Hub 3.0 for ages:

http://www.cableforum.uk/board/showt...php?t=33703961
Old 18-01-2018, 15:19   #6
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all

Haven't had an email yet, so SH2 are becoming hotspots as well as SH3?
JPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 15:25   #7
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

The 2ac are, the older 2 isn't.
Old 18-01-2018, 17:12   #8
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

ive not had this email and a SH3 user here.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 17:21   #9
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
ive not had this email and a SH3 user here.
Depends when you got the Hub 3.0

They were switched on early last year, so those customers who already had a Hub 3.0 at that point would have been notified.

Anyone else who got a Hub 3.0 afterwards are covered by the existing T&Cs, and the Hub would have been automatically opted in:
http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-...ces.html#using

Quote:
H9. We reserve the right to automatically enable any additional and separate bandwidth on the equipment we provide in order to offer a separate wireless local area network (Wi-Fi Hotspot) for other customers in the local area to connect to.
Old 18-01-2018, 17:36   #10
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

What about if it's in Modem mode?
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 17:37   #11
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
What about if it's in Modem mode?
Automatically opted out as all the WiFi features of the Hub are disabled.
Old 18-01-2018, 19:33   #12
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Automatically opted out as all the WiFi features of the Hub are disabled.
That must mean that the Hub "informs" VM when it is in modem mode.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 19:43   #13
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Big brother is watching you.
Old 18-01-2018, 20:15   #14
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

If you're using a VM phone/SIM, then the Hub settings are irrelevant.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 20:17   #15
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Yes, there are lots of things that Virgin Media can see about both the broadband and TV kit as part of diagnostic tools.