Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)
Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 20:59   #2476
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

The old rumour has rumbled again, vm looking to create a tvanywhere app for playstation 4 and xbox one.

---------- Post added at 19:59 ---------- Previous post was at 19:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Was the commercially produced content that you mentioned before produced by A&E? Are the promotions for the Community Channel or A&E/Blaze?

It is a surprising situation!

---------- Post added at 17:42 ---------- Previous post was at 17:25 ----------

Re: Freesports, Fox News etc.

I wonder if VM could get away with pseudo adding these to the EPG by doing a BBC3? They wouldn't be showing these channels without authorisation, but simply pointing viewers to a publically available internet stream!

I don't think that ITV offer a live internet stream, so if they continue to demand retransmission fees perhaps VM could do a deal with tvPlayer??

Not that I'd want to encourage this as we wouldn't be able to record anything.

Edit: I can't find a live stream for Freesports, so if they don't offer this my idea wouldn't be possible (I've sent them a message to ask them).
ITV have live streams via itv hub on most platforms https://www.itv.com/hub/itv
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2017, 02:30   #2477
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Cheers, they could possibly link Ch 103 to that then if need be.

If this would cause legal problems, they could do as they did with BBC3 prior to closing Ch 106 and not provide a direct link, but signpost viewers to it
Old 02-09-2017, 03:06   #2478
jj20x

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj20x View Post
Then again, it could just have been a contrived method of grabbing CC's old EPG slot only to close TCC at a later date. Who knows? it's all very odd.
a516digital appears to be on the case with a report on the behind the scenes moves leading up to this. With Community Channel creating a new company and passing on its DTT licence to the new company, subsequently passing control of the new company to A&E. What with this situation and ITV passing control of "The Store" to AMC / CBS as a vehicle to promote CBS Action to a better Freeview EPG slot, it remains to be seen what Digital UK will do to close this new loophole.

It will be interesting to see if these new, placeholder, channels develop into full time channels and find their way onto other platforms. Coming soon to Virgin Media? Perhaps not but who knows...

http://www.a516digital.com/2017/09/h...w-channel.html

Old 02-09-2017, 04:14   #2479
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Much ado about nothing, in my opinion. Who actually watches the Community Channel (apart from Richard, that is).
Old 02-09-2017, 04:33   #2480
jj20x

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Much ado about nothing, in my opinion. Who actually watches the Community Channel (apart from Richard, that is).
Not really the point, considering that the Community Channel transferred ownership of TCC to A+E Networks. It's just a part they played in bringing this about.

Old 02-09-2017, 17:45   #2481
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Not really the point, considering that the Community Channel transferred ownership of TCC to A+E Networks. It's just a part they played in bringing this about.
Well spotted,at least we now know what's been going on. Looks like A&E have effectively paid the Community Channel for their better EPG slot, but have had to go round the houses to get round the rules

Apparently, this is the second time that this has been done (the first being ITV), so maybe they will change the rules again to prevent this happening again.
Old 02-09-2017, 20:46   #2482
jj20x

Quote:
Well spotted,at least we now know what's been going on. Looks like A&E have effectively paid the Community Channel for their better EPG slot, but have had to go round the houses to get round the rules

Apparently, this is the second time that this has been done (the first being ITV), so maybe they will change the rules again to prevent this happening again.
A less convoluted method for ITV, which transferred the DTPS licence of "The Store" to AMC, who then took the opportunity to switch the LCNs of The Store and CBS Action. ITV had already run down "The Store" to a 1 hour placeholder, so AMC gained a better EPG slot and very little in the way of additional broadcasting commitments.

ITV is well placed to benefit from such moves as both a broadcaster and platform operator. Clearly ITV is looking for additional sources of revenue.

Old 03-09-2017, 17:24   #2483
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Sky have been having problems with their UHD service:

http://www.a516digital.com/2017/09/u...e-for-sky.html

Let's hope this is sorted out before/if it comes to VM...
Old 03-09-2017, 18:23   #2484
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

I'm not entirely convinced Virgin Media's other content providers, nor the shareholders of Liberty Global, would be enthusiastic about littering the EPG with "go online and find minority content rather than find something worth watching on this platform".
Old 03-09-2017, 19:43   #2485
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Sky have been having problems with their UHD service:

http://www.a516digital.com/2017/09/u...e-for-sky.html

Let's hope this is sorted out before/if it comes to VM...
I would imagine that they would iron out any problems within the next 5 years or so
Old 04-09-2017, 00:00   #2486
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky Trevor View Post
I would imagine that they would iron out any problems within the next 5 years or so
By the time vm get Skys UHD channels 16k will be rolling out lol.
Old 04-09-2017, 00:12   #2487
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
A less convoluted method for ITV, which transferred the DTPS licence of "The Store" to AMC, who then took the opportunity to switch the LCNs of The Store and CBS Action. ITV had already run down "The Store" to a 1 hour placeholder, so AMC gained a better EPG slot and very little in the way of additional broadcasting commitments.

ITV is well placed to benefit from such moves as both a broadcaster and platform operator. Clearly ITV is looking for additional sources of revenue.
One good thing about the Community Channel saga is that Freeview viewers (and those on the lower pay TV packages) can obtain access to some A&E pay TV programming; at least for the time being.

---------- Post added at 22:12 ---------- Previous post was at 22:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky trevor View Post
i would imagine that they would iron out any problems within the next 5 years or so :d
😂😂😂
Old 04-09-2017, 00:23   #2488
jj20x

Quote:
One good thing about the Community Channel saga is that Freeview viewers (and those on the lower pay TV packages) can obtain access to some A&E pay TV programming; at least for the time being
I'm not so sure about that. The content shown on TCC would probably have gone to Blaze in the absence of TCC. It won't affect those on lower pay-tv packages at all (now that TCC has a completely different schedule to the Community Channel).

Old 04-09-2017, 00:53   #2489
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I meant any pay TV packages that don't include CI etc, but if all the material would have gone onto Blaze anyway it's a moot point!

Having said that, I'm not sure if Blaze is available on the M/Player packs as VM have been putting Freeview channels into the M+/Mix packs alately. If not, these customers could tune into TCC on Freeview to see what they're missing.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:16   #2490
jj20x

Quote:
I meant any pay TV packages that don't include CI etc, but if all the material would have gone onto Blaze anyway it's a moot point!

Having said that, I'm not sure if Blaze is available on the M/Player packs as VM have been putting Freeview channels into the M+/Mix packs alately. If not, these customers could tune into TCC on Freeview to see what they're missing.
Blaze is available in the Mix, M+, Fun & Full House packs. Not available in Player, M or More. Blaze is, however, available on Freeview. I see where you are coming from, if the viewers on the lower packs have access to Freeview, they could use that instead.

The TCC content isn't anything special, just old versions of; Monster In Laws, Kim of Queens, A Very British Road Trip & Banger Boys.

Closed Thread