Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky or VM

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Sky or VM

Old 12-01-2018, 18:37   #1
Central

Services: Sky + HD family pack 50mb XXL Phone M Sutton Coldfield TX
Central is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of society
Sky or VM

I am currently with Sky on their fibre package. I pay £32.99 for 40mb and a phone line which I get evenings and weekends. Looking at Virgin I can get 50mb and anytime on the phone package for £32. Now I know its 99p cheaper but I get an extra 10mb and anytime calls. But I have a few questions.

1. I have Sky Q. Will VM work ok with this?
2. How good is the router?
3. Is it truly unlimited and no slow downs like Sky is?

Cheers
Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2018, 19:54   #2
blackthorn
cf.geek

blackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation erablackthorn has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Sky or VM

If its any help I ditched virgin tv in September and got sky q.
Kept the 100 mb broadband and phone from VM for £37
I`ve got the superhub 2 and it works fine with sky q
blackthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 23:37   #3
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Do you use the landline? If not so much vodafone fibre is cheap
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 23:43   #4
Central

Central is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of society

Heard very bad things about Vodafone fibre and their rubbish router
Old 13-01-2018, 00:04   #5
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central View Post
Heard very bad things about Vodafone fibre and their rubbish router
Sounds the same as Virgin then
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 07:52   #6
kalleh
cf.addict

kalleh is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Sounds the same as Virgin then
Correct. Although Now vodafone allow customers to use their own purchased router.

Some good and bad feedback on them much like virgin media really.

I believe they bought the old C & W network infrastructure could be wrong though.
kalleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 13:18   #7
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

If you only want BB of around 50Mb, you might as well stick with Sky. You will get a proportionally better upstream than VM.

If you want a lot of down speed, i.e. over 100Mb, with a possibility of a 350Mb package, then I would choose VM.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 13:26   #8
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central View Post
Sky. . . I pay £32.99 for 40mb and a phone line
Virgin I can get 50mb and phone package for £32.
Now I know its 99p cheaper - I have a few questions.
I'd consider the risk of a price increase by both companies and pick which one would be less likely to do it
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 13:13   #9
Peter729
cf.addict

Peter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about them

One of the main reasons I went with VM was to get rid of the Line rental charge, there seems little point in having a home phone when we both have mobiles, it feels like you are paying for the same service twice. When we sat down and thought about the home landline phone we could not remember the last time we used it, the only people who rang us on the house phone were scammers and people trying to sell things.

I used the savings on the Line rental charge and invested in faster broadband 100mps very pleased with it so far at £32 per month.
Peter729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 21:13   #10
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
If its any help I ditched virgin tv in September and got sky q.
Kept the 100 mb broadband and phone from VM for £37
I`ve got the superhub 2 and it works fine with sky q
If its any help, I ditched Sky Q after almost a year of heartache, technical issues, box swaps, rewiring, wifi boosters, ethernet cable runs, 2 new dishes... and have now gone to BT TV which has been tremendous.

Everyones experience is different when it comes to TV, for broadband there will be regional variances with all providers, even VM. I would first check anyone you know locally who has VM and ask their opinion on the service, that woill give youa good indication straight away.

The router with VM is the SuperHub 3, pretty good WiFi coverage but again depends on your house type and many other factors that can affect your WiFi performance. You can always use your own router alongside the hub in modem mode and I would recommend mesh WiFi services like Orbi, BT Whole Home and Deco to boost your home WiFi coverage.

VM is unlimited and doesn't throttle bandwidth.

BT is also unlimited in its top tariff and doesn't throttle, the same as Sky... although your VDSL speeds will depend on your distance to the cabinet, you should be getting the same speed with all providers on VDSL (on the same tarrifs at least)

HTH

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 19:19   #11
Central

Not to bothered about the wifi getting about the house as both my Q boxes are repeaters anyway. But I decided to stay with Sky.

Thank you everyone for the replies