Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Faster upload speeds. aka. full 10% on all packages?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Faster upload speeds. aka. full 10% on all packages?

Old 20-01-2021, 14:14   #16
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
Re: Faster upload speeds. aka. full 10% on all packages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Well thats great if you happen to live in one of 12 cites, not much use for the vast majority of us.
City fibre have been laying ducting for over two years here, breaking virginmedia connections all over the place.
Still only one very small area of the town has access to the city fibre network.
I think it will take a long time before they become relevant here.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-01-2021, 19:24   #17
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Cityfibre are rolling out to a lot of towns at once. This time next year there will be a lot more availability.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 23:07   #18
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Openreach are expanding their FTTP network at a breakneck pace. Not symmetrical like CityFibre but 115Mb up is still twice as fast as VM with headroom to go higher.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 00:33   #19
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

From the openreach site ;

Quote:
At the moment, we don't have any plans to upgrade your area to full fibre

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 09:41   #20
bobna
cf.addict

bobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the rough

i've had vodafone's fttp for about a year now, in huddersfield on their 200mb/200mb package, while the price is good, the service is good but the router supplied and customer service, well if i'd of only known then...
i moved to another street in the same area and they completely messed up my account billing somehow, it took almost 3 months to sort out, when you call for an issue about the broadband their clueless because you have a fttp product and they go through steps for a adsl line ie. checking your filters or phone cable etc..
the router is probably one of the worse i've ever used, 5ghz devices sometimes don't see the router even if next to it, options to change settings are very basic and often reset to default after a while.... and the kicker is i've still yet to find a suitable replacement which will work with the service.... ones available are quite pricy and at the min out of my price range..
but i still use the service as it's the best for my and that of my family's needs, 4 kids who use the bandwidth like tap water lol
i would however recommend it as i've not really had any service issues and never had a dropped connection and boy is it fast both ways, currently getting about 218MB down and 210MB up
bobna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 13:28   #21
InsaneNutter
cf.addict

Services: Virgin 200mbit / Superhub 3 Modem / pfSense Firewall
InsaneNutter is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
City fibre have been laying ducting for over two years here, breaking virginmedia connections all over the place.
Still only one very small area of the town has access to the city fibre network.
I think it will take a long time before they become relevant here.
Basically the same here, the ducting on streets near me comes out the ground by lamp posts / telegraph poles and is tied up to them. It's been that way for a year now. I suspect City Fibre is not going to be live in most areas of advertised towns / cities any time soon.
Old 22-01-2021, 15:31   #22
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobna View Post
i've had vodafone's fttp for about a year now, in huddersfield on their 200mb/200mb package, while the price is good, the service is good but the router supplied and customer service, well if i'd of only known then...
i moved to another street in the same area and they completely messed up my account billing somehow, it took almost 3 months to sort out, when you call for an issue about the broadband their clueless because you have a fttp product and they go through steps for a adsl line ie. checking your filters or phone cable etc..
the router is probably one of the worse i've ever used, 5ghz devices sometimes don't see the router even if next to it, options to change settings are very basic and often reset to default after a while.... and the kicker is i've still yet to find a suitable replacement which will work with the service.... ones available are quite pricy and at the min out of my price range..
but i still use the service as it's the best for my and that of my family's needs, 4 kids who use the bandwidth like tap water lol
i would however recommend it as i've not really had any service issues and never had a dropped connection and boy is it fast both ways, currently getting about 218MB down and 210MB up

I mean, the SH3 is kind of renowned for being crap, the SH4 is still puma chipset, and at least with CF you can use your own router properly rather than still being stuck with the SH as a modem.

But there will be more than Vodafone on CityFibre as it gets wider, Zen have already announced pricing etc for CityFibre based services here in Ipswich, which is way lower than VM (who aren't really comparable with 35m up).

And as for customer services, I think if anyone could be worse at that than VM I'd consider it an achievement.

Almost 1 year waiting for my simple customer services complaint to be dealt with now.
Old 22-01-2021, 16:33   #23
bobna
cf.addict

bobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the rough

this is the router they / I use
https://www.vodafone.co.uk/broadband...-broadband-app

before this there is a black box on the wall inside your house which converts the fibre to ethernet and then this is connected to the router.. somehow the router knows or has a username and password to be able to connect the user account and provision the correct package, you'd think you would be able to just use any cable router like you would with virgin but without the user detail's you simply can't.
there is a draytek (think that's how it's spelt) that will work with some reconfiguring but by all accounts it's a pita to do
oh the customer service is very dire, i've had experience with virgins army of drones and their not a patch on vodafone's muppets
bobna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 16:56   #24
rtho782
cf.addict

Yes, I know, they are a Calix SDN G-Pon network, so the black box will be a gigapoint 800gv2:

https://www.calix.com/content/calix/....htm?88696.htm

That is a G-Pon ONT, equivalent really to the RFoG fibre to coax adapter in a VM RFoG install.

As for using your own router, you should just need to set the VLAN to 911.

VM don't even answer the phone anymore heh.... And then when they do, they lie to you, change your package without consent, etc. I cannot wait to be far away from VM.

Still, I'm likely to take Zen on CF over Voda.
Old 26-01-2021, 23:58   #25
The Installer
cf.addict

Services: Telewest Stuff
The Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
From the openreach site ;
https://api.superfastmaps.co.uk/fibr...ity=Nottingham
The Installer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 00:17   #26
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Yep, nothing planned anywhere near me.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote