Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Oscar 2020 Nominations

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Film & Cinema

Oscar 2020 Nominations

Old 12-09-2020, 20:32   #46
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Oscar 2020 Nominations

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
https://deadline.com/2020/09/academy...ty-1234573172/

Not sure how I feel about this atm. Are films going to be nominated because and win because they are fantastic films or because they have got a gay black actor in them. I am sure there are dedicated awards ceremonies for diversity and gender equality across various industries and the premiere awards ceremony which celebrates the very best of movie magic does not need to be converted into one. It risks diminishing to value of the Oscars and shifting it to another awards ceremony which will recognise the very best in quality and talent.
If you dig down into the criteria, because of the qualification of 'crew', it won't change much. I saw on Reddit someone posting an analysis of which films would have missed out and the vast majority would still have qualified as they had enough minorities in the crew. You sort of have to go out of your way to not qualify.

---------- Post added at 19:32 ---------- Previous post was at 19:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Ive never condidered the oscars to be representative of most people who actually watch films, otherwise the Marvel films would sweep the board every year, but now they have lost the plot completely.

Its clearly no longer about how good they think a film is, or how good someone is at their job, its all about are they Gay/Black/whatever. Racism, whateverism at its best.
Oscars are representative of the people who make films. It's called the Academy after all. Although the voters do watch a lot of films, it's the industry they're in, its not about which film has been watched the most.

Which is sort of the main advantage of the Oscars to be honest. It pushes up more obsure films that might not have been heard about. Getting a nomination for Best Picture usually means a film is assured of a wide release in the cinema. Parasite for example did well after it won an Oscar.

The 'People's Choice Awards' is the biggest award ceremony that is voted for by the public and yeah it's usually Marvel who cleans up in every movie category.

Last edited by Damien; 12-09-2020 at 20:37.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-09-2020, 21:18   #47
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post

The 'People's Choice Awards' is the biggest award ceremony that is voted for by the public and yeah it's usually Marvel who cleans up in every movie category.
they were talking about that as part of the Oscar revamp to get more viewers but I think they knocked the idea on the head. They wanted a sort of "people's" Oscar which would obviously go to the most popular/highest grossing film of the year and it would be great to see stuff like the Marvel films or Star Wars get it. I think the public would be more forgiving when they see their favourite miss out on the big Oscars and go to films nobody has heard of if they know their film is going to win the popular Oscar. I don't know what you would call it or how the voting would work but I definitely think it should be a thing. It would have let The Hurt Locker and Avatar both win big in the same year. If they do something like that though it needs to be international. You can't have US only voting given that they make a big thing at every awards ceremony saying over 1bn people are watching from154 countries around the world. I am thinking that all the voting would have to be done online with a registered account on the Oscars website to prevent fraud. Voting can happen in the same window as the ballet votes for the other categories. That way it is all done at the same time and the category can be seamlessly integrated into the established process of vote counting, statuette production and winning envelope production etc.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 21:39   #48
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

You could do 'Best Popular Film' I guess which would limit the selection to the top 10 selling films of the year from which the voters inside the Academy could pick.

I wouldn't have it as a public vote as the point of The Oscars is to be a industry award. That this is what the people who make movies think of this year's movies.

They should have more members though as part of the problem is it's structure lends itself to being an 'old guard' where long established filmmakers get to vote and newer filmmakers do not. This is where they got into trouble with the diversity issues as it the voting make up was skewed towards older filmmakers and didn't reflect newer ones.

You would then have less bias against action films or animation. Animation is the most dunked on of all the categories at The Oscars.

tbh I don't think it matters that much. If Kevin Feige feels sad about the lack of a Best Picture Oscar he can console himself with the massive pile of cash Marvel Studios and Disney have earned. Marvel don't need an Oscar in the way Bong Joon-ho did.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 20:44   #49
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
You could do 'Best Popular Film' I guess which would limit the selection to the top 10 selling films of the year from which the voters inside the Academy could pick.
Good idea, it would be a great selection of quality of films. I have been monitor the top 10 for the last couple of years and there has only been one film or maybe two each year that I wasn't too keen, other than that the rest would be thoroughly deserving.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote