Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 1gig Rollout getting faster

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

1gig Rollout getting faster

Old 24-11-2021, 23:56   #421
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: 1gig Rollout getting faster

With my amateur eye, I can't see anything misconfigured by VM - as compared with my stats.

My DS3.1 channel runs at QAM2048 whereas yours runs at QAM256; that would indicate downstream noise in your circuit. With crap power levels like you've got, and only 1 upstream channel, noise is usually unavoidable but for what my opinion is worth, the noise isn't on the coax portion of your circuit, but rather the Hub 4 itself. This opinion is assisted by the HUB 3's nominal performance.

The tech you've booked will surely swap the Hub 4. You'll have an interesting Monday. Do keep us posted, mon General.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-11-2021, 00:03   #422
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I have got sick and tired of the random reboots so i have rebooked it for tomorrow and left notes with all the info. I was hoping he would swap the shub over as the first and easiest thing to do.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2021, 00:14   #423
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I have got sick and tired of the random reboots so i have rebooked it for tomorrow and left notes with all the info. I was hoping he would swap the shub over as the first and easiest thing to do.
Good. The reboots aren't random - some of the levels are outside the range at which it'll work. Particularly when the upstream on 1 channel hits 55dBmv, it can't talk to the CMTS and it must reset.

Old 25-11-2021, 10:07   #424
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

My SH4 does weird stuff sometimes and becomes unresponsive to pings etc. Nowhere near as bad as yours, I don't have your post RS errors etc, and my D3.1 channel is at 4096QAM, so I've not bothered trying to explain/complain to VM's call centre staff. I'm in modem mode so internet still works, the periods of time it has issues correspond with an increase in pre-RS errors, but nothing else seems impacted.

https://imgur.com/zkQb7kR.png

The loss is only from my server to the SH, it can still get out to the wider internet.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2021, 10:22   #425
Gobble
cf.addict

Services: Gig1 SH4-AX86U, Stream
Gobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
My SH4 does weird stuff sometimes and becomes unresponsive to pings etc. Nowhere near as bad as yours, I don't have your post RS errors etc, and my D3.1 channel is at 4096QAM, so I've not bothered trying to explain/complain to VM's call centre staff. I'm in modem mode so internet still works, the periods of time it has issues correspond with an increase in pre-RS errors, but nothing else seems impacted.

https://imgur.com/zkQb7kR.png

The loss is only from my server to the SH, it can still get out to the wider internet.
I wonder if it's just a prioritisation of other traffic types. Do you have a BQM of WAN traffic to compare?
Gobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2021, 12:39   #426
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobble View Post
I wonder if it's just a prioritisation of other traffic types. Do you have a BQM of WAN traffic to compare?
https://imgur.com/a/dj1V6ww

This shows the pings to all the WAN targets I monitor during the 8 hours of SH4 weirdness.

Final graph is the Superhub, all the loss I see is to the SH, no other targets experience loss.

As you can see from the pings to other places, the connection isn't particularly loaded at this time - hell, I don't know what I could download to load a gig1 connection solidly for 8 hours
Old 26-11-2021, 00:01   #427
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
"Tomorrow" was today, mon General.

What happened with the VM tech?

Old 26-11-2021, 00:38   #428
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I could swear i posted an update earlier. I'll keep this short and sweet because i am on my phone. I was absolutely fuming earlier and could have killed someone. I left very clear and concise notes explaining what the problem was and the retard came round, said he didnt have any replacement shubs in his van and did a factory reset on the shub and left me a note saying everything was okay and what the parameters are for the power levels.

My connection is completely unusable now. Downstream power is -15 with 1 million post rs errors on each channel and upstream power is 59.5. The hub is stuck in a cycle of constantly rebooting. It does it so many times, switches to a red light for a few mins and then starts all over again.

I rang VM, moaned my ass off and spoke to somebody in 2nd line support and they are sending me a new hub 4 but i wont get it till Monday.
Old 26-11-2021, 09:55   #429
rtho782
cf.addict

Quote:
I could swear i posted an update earlier. I'll keep this short and sweet because i am on my phone. I was absolutely fuming earlier and could have killed someone. I left very clear and concise notes explaining what the problem was and the retard came round, said he didnt have any replacement shubs in his van and did a factory reset on the shub and left me a note saying everything was okay and what the parameters are for the power levels.

My connection is completely unusable now. Downstream power is -15 with 1 million post rs errors on each channel and upstream power is 59.5. The hub is stuck in a cycle of constantly rebooting. It does it so many times, switches to a red light for a few mins and then starts all over again.

I rang VM, moaned my ass off and spoke to somebody in 2nd line support and they are sending me a new hub 4 but i wont get it till Monday.
Wow. Just wow. Amazing customer service from VM for a change :/
Old 26-11-2021, 10:14   #430
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:

Presumably the Hub 3 will work OK in the meantime.

Old 26-11-2021, 20:17   #431
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Presumably the Hub 3 will work OK in the meantime.
no, once a new shub is registered on the network the old one gets removed. I tried reconnecting it on Tuesday night after the hub 4 was activated and it wouldn't come online.

My whining paid off. Another tech turned up out of the blue this afternoon, checked all the connections and replaced the shub and everything is perfect atm so it must have been a shub fault as I suspeced.
Old 26-11-2021, 20:37   #432
bbxxl
cf.addict

bbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nice

Great news! Hope it’s fine from now on.
bbxxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2021, 06:06   #433
telfordcable
cf.mega poster

Services: 5G Three 599/21
telfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
It's great, mon General. I've had 1 Gig for just under two years and never below 945/52.

52 Meg upload

Hyperoptic are way better with 900 Meg upload
telfordcable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2021, 09:34   #434
Sephiroth
Simples

Fine when you're in a Hyperoptic area.

Old 28-11-2021, 10:55   #435
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbxxl View Post
Great news! Hope it’s fine from now on.