Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Loss of Freeview channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Loss of Freeview channels

Old 05-08-2011, 10:18   #1
doubledecker
Inactive

doubledecker is an unknown quantity at this point
Loss of Freeview channels

Hi Guys,

Newby here. I have a query regarding my Panasonic Viera TX32LMD70N with built in Freeview. All digital channels had disappeared yesterday evening, just analogue available. I went to the TV menu and rescanned all the channels, this looked to be working fine as it completed both the digital and analogue scans and listed the digital channels as it was finding them. However on completion of the scan there were still only analogue channels available. We have BT Vision and can still access all the freeview channels this way so its no big deal. Is it safe to assume the built in Freeview on the TV is kaput ? Thanks guys
doubledecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2011, 10:23   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Loss of Freeview channels

Could be an issue with the transmitter.. which transmitter are you near (or give the postcode of a local street (not your own)

---------- Post added at 10:23 ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 ----------

Moved to FREESAT forum
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:34   #3
doubledecker
Inactive

Hi Kymmy,

Thanks for the reply

I am in Sheffield. Local postcode would be S7 1GY
Old 05-08-2011, 10:41   #4
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Doing a google there have been one or two reports of problems with the transmitter in the run up to the digital switchover on the 24th Aug..

Also something I have noticed on a few other TV/STB's is that when they start messing about wit the systems a rescan isn't always the way to go, instead a full reser (factory settings) will often cure the problem.. Can I suggest you try that just to make sure
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:56   #5
doubledecker
Inactive

I did actually do the factory reset option, sorry for duff information earlier in the thread. The bit that puzzled me is that it did seem to pick up the channels as it scanned , but was not able to actually view them, The TV seemed to default to analogue every time I sweitched it on, tried to remedy this by forcing it to digital by way of the relevant TV menu setting but with no luck. You may be right about the transmitter problem but I think that usually just shows up as "no signal" when you try to access the channels. I don't even get that. Thanks for your help
Old 05-08-2011, 12:34   #6
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

I think the switchover from analogue to digital is not going quite as smoothly as hoped. A couple of my neighbours have reported freeview channels coming and going over the last few days. I think we're looking at Belmont transmitter but possibly others are having the same issues.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 14:42   #7
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Here is the switchover for the Yorkshire region

http://www.freeview.co.uk/Switchover/Yorkshire

This may help you?

Quote:
Sheffield Transmitter
Serves the Sheffield area
The switchover process will start on 10 August 2011 and complete on 24 August 2011
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 13:56   #8
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledecker View Post
I did actually do the factory reset option, sorry for duff information earlier in the thread. The bit that puzzled me is that it did seem to pick up the channels as it scanned , but was not able to actually view them, The TV seemed to default to analogue every time I sweitched it on, tried to remedy this by forcing it to digital by way of the relevant TV menu setting but with no luck. You may be right about the transmitter problem but I think that usually just shows up as "no signal" when you try to access the channels. I don't even get that. Thanks for your help
You're right about that. If no channels are found it should then give you the option to check your aerial and re-scan, or to perfom manual tuning. If it's locking on and storing channels these should appear on the EPG, and even if a channel is not broadcasting it would show on the screen as "no service" when that channel is selected. I'm wondering if the set needs the software re-loading.

I had a problem a couple of years back where my Pan TV would get stuck on Freeview BBC1 and refuse to select another channel, although it would go onto analogue without any bother. Set was under guarantee and a TV tech came and reloaded the software. No problems since.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 22:25   #9
Central

Services: Sky + HD family pack 50mb XXL Phone M Sutton Coldfield TX
Central is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of society

This is a good site to check for issues as people can comment to. So might be worth a look through the comments to see if anyone else is having issues

http://www.ukfree.tv/shutdowndetail.php?tx=SK324870

I set it for your transmitter
Central is offline   Reply With Quote