Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 20:42   #511
Julian Smart
Inactive

Julian Smart has a spectacular aura about themJulian Smart has a spectacular aura about themJulian Smart has a spectacular aura about themJulian Smart has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77 & 102]

If you search in http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03...ripa/comments/ for Privacy International you'll see a very telling communication. Evidently PI are not officially endorsing Phorm at all and Phorm are abusing PI's name and reputation. To think that major ISPs are falling for this - it's utterly shameful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJamieHunter View Post
I've e-mailed Privacy International about Phorm's claim that PI have given the technology the thumbs up. Here's an except:

"Phorm are claiming (as per the page at http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02...ing/page2.html) that Privacy International have given the technology the thumbs-up. I quote directly from that page:

"A spokesman rubbished the links to PeopleOnPage that have worried some Reg readers. "The previous company was involved in the adware space, but that was a long time ago," he said. "We're actually setting a whole new gold standard in online privacy." He said Privacy International had given the technology the thumbs-up."

I have used the search facility to search for "Phorm" and found nothing.

Please could you confirm what "thumbs-up" or other endorsements PI have given to Phorm. I would appreciate it if you could be as clear and precise as possible so that I can pass your information on to other concerned people. "

Any reply will be posted here.
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2008, 20:50   #512
hOrZa
Inactive

hOrZa is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morden View Post
I think you are getting into the realms of fantasy there

I wonder if this was said to Woodward & Bernstein
Old 04-03-2008, 20:51   #513
WhiskeyOscar
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media TV and XL BB
WhiskeyOscar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hOrZa View Post
I wonder if this was said to Woodward & Bernstein
Hahah! You crack me up.
Old 04-03-2008, 20:58   #514
shawty
Permanently Banned

shawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Such Technology already exists - how do you think they have busted previous paedophile internet rings?

Correct me if Im wrong, but they have only caught paedophiles due to either, someone taking computers in to get fixed or by paedophiles using their credit cards to buy and view the images.
Old 04-03-2008, 21:21   #515
mogodon
cf.member

Services: VM BB 200MB & TV XL / Telephone / Tivo / Now TV / Netflix / Amazon / Spotify
mogodon is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey845 View Post
Dont know if anyone has put this up, but i've come across a online petition.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/ispphorm/
Just signed this. I think someone should sticky this petition or add it as a non contrib thread. Definitely worth a try.
Old 05-03-2008, 00:56   #516
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 12 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal

I believe someone mentioned that the software Phorm use/have used in the past is apparently a rootkit? Well that can go root off on my computer, 'cause I've downloaded - and regularly use - BlackLight Beta. One rootkit in a lifetime (don't know which one, but when it hit my Windows 2000 PC it crippled McAfee, somehow downgraded IE6 to IE5 so I couldn't repair it, and kept redirecting me to Microsoft.com no matter which browser I used) is quite enough for me; I scan for them regularly...I might in fact put BlackLight into my Startup folder. In my Start menu there's a folder entitled 'Scumware Destruction' which contains shortcuts to SpywareBlaster, Spybot, Ad-Aware 2007 and BlackLight, plus I use Norton 360 (which I've never had any trouble with even on Vista, so I really don't understand the myriad complaints about it) - ain't no freakin' spyware gettin' on my system, dudes!

I'm running TrackMeNot now. I've emailed Watchdog. I've signed the petition. I tried the ICO site, but I keep getting a server error, whether I use IE7 or Firefox (also running NoScript!). It also occurred to me that since this issue has raised concerns about the security of online banking, perhaps the banks might take an interest, so I've also emailed Barclays and intend (when I can get secure access; at the moment there seems to be a problem) to email Barclaycard. Surely the last thing banks want is possibly thousands of customers simultaneously reclaiming hundreds or even thousands of pounds that they, the banks, are never going to recoup?

Hey, mods: have any of you who work for Virgin let 'em know what we their customers think, or has this already been covered somewhere in these 500-odd posts? Can we contact the Data Protection Registrar?
Old 05-03-2008, 01:18   #517
losepete
Inactive

losepete is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm...

2 possibily useful bits of info at the start of the thread turned out to be naff:-

http://www.ico.gov.uk/ - turns out to be a non-functioning website

Tor - http://www.torproject.org/ - not available for my platform

Guess I just have to hope that VM pay attention to the fact that I do not want adverts targeted at me.

I would have no hesitation in giving them 1 hours notice to cancel my account and remove their equipment if they do not respect my wishes.

I have used the VM Contact Us form to make my views clear and am awaiting a response.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:23   #518
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Hmm...

2 possibily useful bits of info at the start of the thread turned out to be naff:-

http://www.ico.gov.uk/ - turns out to be a non-functioning website

Tor - http://www.torproject.org/ - not available for my platform
thats odd as
http://www.ico.gov.uk/ESDWebPages/Search.asp?EC=1
works fine so its not a non-functioning website,mearly a bad page.

they probably messed up the database for the front page, perhaps you
should drop them an email pointing out the error so they can fix it.

as for Tor, what is your platform exactly?, if theres no ready compiled binary,just go and download the source trunk and compile your own version for your platform.
http://www.torproject.org/svn/trunk/

or go ask someone on their IRC channel how and were you might find a ready compiled one for your machine.
http://www.torproject.org/documentat....en#RunningTor

---------- Post added at 04:23 ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 ----------

Quote:
"Guess I just have to hope that VM pay attention to the fact that I do not want adverts targeted at me."
no guessing or hoping required, just send the DPA notice as already said and wait the 14 days notice (or longer, i forget)before making your inquirys as to weather they have complyed (ring Ccare and see if you get though to the offshore personel etc).

for instance John makes an almost good enough generic letter you might use.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03...ripa/comments/
"
This should cover it

By John Edwards
Posted Tuesday 4th March 2008 17:14 GMT

Virgin Media Ltd
PO Box 333
Swansea SA7 9ZJ
Sir,
I forbid the collection of data concerning the use of my computer and its connections for any purpose whatever beyond that which is necessary for billing or monitoring for technical faults.

In particular I expressly forbid for passing any of my information to Phorm, (or any like organisation), for any purpose whatever.

This letter may be taken to over-ride any past or future conditions in your End User License Agreement.
Yours faithfully,"

and Alexander gives you several other options if you want that.
"The majority of customers are ok with it?

By Alexander Hanff
Posted Tuesday 4th March 2008 17:56 GMT

So they are quick to claim that once they know about the *cough* added security features *cough* of the system most of their customers are happy with this.

So my next questions are as follows:
1. Were the quizzed customers told that this "value added service" breaks the following laws:
a: RIPA
b: DPA
c: European Convention on Human Rights
d: Trespass of Chattels
e: Computer Misuse Act
"
and finally AC made the office chuckle
"Dont leave - Have fun

By Anonymous Coward
Posted Tuesday 4th March 2008 18:30 GMT
I have issued a letter to my ISP withdrawing any permission for them to share my personal data with a 3rd party, or ship said data overseas.
I now have plans to have fun.

Each time I get a call from an indian call center a complaint will be raised with the data protection people.

It will be fun to take action at a european level once phorm is implimented.

If I leave and find another ISP all the furure fun will end. So I plan to fight from within an who knows become richer to boot."

Quote:
plus

I would have no hesitation in giving them 1 hours notice to cancel my account and remove their equipment if they do not respect my wishes.
well one hours notice is your choice , however that may incure a 30 days notice and perhaps charges, you could however go for breach of contract on VMs part if you were to take the reg storys and the official VM comments there and the Phorm site regarding their intent to bring this online etc.

Quote:
I have used the VM Contact Us form to make my views clear and am awaiting a response.
is that one the VM website that asks for your VM personal data details in the open, as its http, not a secure https that Phorm say they wouldnt collect,track and process!

OC VM/BT etc wont worry, as most people cant even be bothered to cut and paste a letter and send it registered post to protect their property, perhaps people might this time though, who knows!

BTW how does a person join in Oct 2005 and yet make one single post today,
thats probably a record isnt it?.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:47   #519
hOrZa
Inactive

hOrZa is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post

BTW how does a person join in Oct 2005 and yet make one single post today,
thats probably a record isnt it?.
I joined in Jan 05 and made my first post the 2nd of this month LOL

I usually just lurk but this has really got my blood pressure up
Old 05-03-2008, 09:59   #520
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

I've been reading this thread with interest since I saw the news break on the register and think broadband. I am a volunteer for a national charity and the people who use it's forum can be vulnerable, the Phorm "spying" deal is a real cause for concern and I feel it's something I must take a stand on.

The actions of VM show they have no consideration for customer privacy, and try and use the "oh it's safer" to those customers who probably wouldn't read forums and tech sites.

Thanks to everyone for the tips and mention of FF extensions that can help, I've been sending the register pages and links to this forum to everyone I know.

Keep up the great work
Old 05-03-2008, 11:36   #521
none
Inactive

none is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nice
ISP Ad Partners NebuAd and Phorm Eye Overseas Expansions

Unbelievable! - http://www.clickz.com/showPage.html?page=3628633

there's another ad-company eying up UK ISP's as well now - NebuAd :S

I get the feeling that in the coming years finding an ISP that rejects these Ad-partner scumbags is gonna be like finding a needle in a haystack.

<rant>
Has this what it has come to now? Not content with being the most spied on country in the world via cameras, we now have to have our every move online tracked traced and profiled too!!!
</rant>
Old 05-03-2008, 12:05   #522
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society

Playing devils advocate for a minute...

We all know that the ISP market itself isn't very profitable on the carrier infrastructure alone. We also know that content markets are demanding greater bandwidth (e.g. BBC iPlayer) and greater reliability (e.g. VOIP) forcing ISPs to chew through what little profit there was in the first place.

Ignoring for a minute the fact that VM charge a premium rate compared to many ADSL ISPs at the moment, would the people (me included) against Phorm be prepared to pay a premium for a snoop-free service?

For me the answer is yes I would, but it looks like we're not going to be given the option.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:11   #523
dav
Inactive

dav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of light

brundles: I suspect you may be playing into their hands by raising this point.
Pay not to be monitored? This immediately discriminates against those unable to afford the premium. The richer you are, the more private your business? It'll never work. The howls of derision would be deafening.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:15   #524
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Why should we have to pay more just to have a spyware free service, something that the ISP is already supposed to be providing.

Those that accept this intrusion should be offered a significant incentive, or discount.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:54   #525
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by brundles View Post
Playing devils advocate for a minute...

We all know that the ISP market itself isn't very profitable on the carrier infrastructure alone. We also know that content markets are demanding greater bandwidth (e.g. BBC iPlayer) and greater reliability (e.g. VOIP) forcing ISPs to chew through what little profit there was in the first place.

Ignoring for a minute the fact that VM charge a premium rate compared to many ADSL ISPs at the moment, would the people (me included) against Phorm be prepared to pay a premium for a snoop-free service?

For me the answer is yes I would, but it looks like we're not going to be given the option.
devils advocate is always a good thing to be now and then however.

paying for a snoop free service: NO, its unlawful to snoop so they cant be allowed to profit from an unlawful act by supplying a lawful service at an extra cost.

how can the given UK ISP increase cash flow:
offer to sell/rent the end user more than one cable/DSL modem per account, VM dont allow that.

offer to sell/rent the end user some internal co-location space at their head end and connected buildings etc, VM dont do that.

offer the end user Multicast (tunnels) so as to grow Multicasting video streaming accross the entire network and the UK,hence saving masses of bandwidth for the taking, VM dont do that.

far more options to make more lawful profits, but as you might guess, Virgin Media dont do that....

---------- Post added at 12:54 ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 ----------

BTW that http://www.clickz.com is blocked by many online hosts files and i cant be bothered to unblock it just to read the http://www.clickz.com/showPage.html?page=3628633

whats the basic outline of that story you and Pieman posted ?.
Closed Thread