Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 20:23   #646
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77 & 102]

Hmm - Telegraph news item says we should put up with Phorm or expect higher prices?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected...dltrack108.xml

Please someone correct me if its not saying that at all ...
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2008, 20:29   #647
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by none View Post
Should have also mentioned that right here on this very board they said that

Quote:
“If you are not part of the system ie opted out no data will be processed by phorm. I really hope that's clear.”
Mmm yes clear... clear as mud.

See here (comment 15) - http://www.bobpiper.co.uk/2008/03/theyve_got_phorm.php

YOU SIMPLY CANNOT take on face value what this company tells you.

Im with Sirius and RizzyKing, VM introduce this, then I too will be acting accordingly.
Maybe hiding behind smoke and mirrors here but could this equally read?

“If you are not part of the system ie opted out data will be processed by VM using phorm code on specific media farm hardware located in the UK on VM premises, however none of this data will then be passed to phorm to enable then to serve back advertising through OIX.”
Just a thought.
Equally I am typing this using a dell computer running microsoft XP and MSIE. In making this posting no data is being processed by microsoft or Dell but this posting could not happen without microsoft code being involved.
Old 06-03-2008, 20:30   #648
none
Inactive

none is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick
Hmm - Telegraph news item says we should put up with Phorm or expect higher prices?

Its certainly hinting at that.

But you could give me a 20MB or even the new 50MB pipe for free, subsidized by the op-in of Phorm and I'd still walk away.

Would I be prepared to pay more for a Phorm-free ISP? You betchya!
Old 06-03-2008, 20:32   #649
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post

Thats how i read it.

Btw Mick

Thanks for allowing us to expose the spin that is Phorm and VirginMedia. I did not expect them to run away that fast

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Old 06-03-2008, 20:38   #650
eddcase

Can I ask when all this is to start please?

Old 06-03-2008, 20:44   #651
none
Inactive

none is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
Maybe hiding behind smoke and mirrors here but could this equally read?

“If you are not part of the system ie opted out data will be processed by VM using phorm code on specific media farm hardware located in the UK on VM premises, however none of this data will then be passed to phorm to enable then to serve back advertising through OIX.” code being involved.
good point, which is why i originally asked
Quote:
Originally Posted by none
So for example If I am opted out (via your lousy cookie), does any data sent FROM my machine go through Phorm systems or servers (at ANY stage) in order to load a web page, send an email or IM. It’s a simple enough question, but please be as technical as you like when replying.
emphisis on the 'Phorm systems or servers (at ANY stage)' part, to which they replied
Quote:
If you are not part of the system ie opted out no data will be processed by phorm
that reply wouldn't be quite so quite truthful now if what you (SMHarman) said were correct.
Old 06-03-2008, 20:46   #652
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

Which is exactly what I have been saying in this thread.

We may not like this system, but the margins are so tight, we may have no choice. Although..........VM's margins are better than others.
Old 06-03-2008, 20:46   #653
isf
Inactive

isf is an unknown quantity at this point

The issue isn't the ads, it's the harvesting of clickstream data and a cookie isn't cutting it. Multiple HTTP clients across multiple computers makes for a hell of an opt-out procedure. I looked at the webwise opt-out page and it uses javascript to set the cookie, that's neither guaranteed to be enabled or even supported (netsurf, dillo, lynx etc..) and there's issues for other client software like wget and curl.

Since techteam/phorm claim this is network level technology, why is the opt-out not handled per subscriber at the network level by the ISP?
Old 06-03-2008, 20:48   #654
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Thats how i read it.

Btw Mick

Thanks for allowing us to expose the spin that is Phorm and VirginMedia. I did not expect them to run away that fast
Virgin Media played no part in Phorm coming here as far as I know, there has been no contact from them and to be fair you cannot expect someone to be still answering questions at 8 'o' Clock in the evening if they work office hours 9 - 5.

I respect the fact and understand that there is anger, even I am angry but we have to at least give people a chance to have their say. But if we start to get hostile or start demanding this, this or this. It doesn't get anywhere.
Old 06-03-2008, 20:50   #655
none
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by isf View Post
Since techteam/phorm claim this is network level technology, why is the opt-out not handled per subscriber at the network level by the ISP?
That is a bloody good question and should defiantly be one of the questions directed to their tech team
Old 06-03-2008, 20:54   #656
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Virgin Media played no part in Phorm coming here as far as I know, there has been no contact from them and to be fair you cannot expect someone to be still answering questions at 8 'o' Clock in the evening if they work office hours 9 - 5.

I respect the fact and understand that there is anger, even I am angry but we have to at least give people a chance to have their say. But if we start to get hostile or start demanding this, this or this. It doesn't get anywhere.
Mick

I appreciate what you tried to do here honest. I just hate being taken for a ride by a company that i have had dealings with before when it comes to their spy-ware. I lost a lot of data due to the infection they gave me.

Old 06-03-2008, 21:05   #657
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Mick

I appreciate what you tried to do here honest. I just hate being taken for a ride by a company that i have had dealings with before when it comes to their spy-ware. I lost a lot of data due to the infection they gave me.
I know but there has to be at least some credit shown for having the balls to come and face the public head on esp on here - Look at it this way. I have been banging on at Virgin/ntl for years to come and have someone answer posts in an official capacity on here, they always keep telling me it cannot be done etc.

In a sane world, it shouldn't be Phorm coming here telling us what is happening - Phorm is not our ISP - Virgin Media is and they should be explaining things regarding setups their end. Agree?
Old 06-03-2008, 21:07   #658
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
I know but there has to be at least some credit shown for having the balls to come and face the public head on esp on here - Look at it this way. I have been banging on at Virgin/ntl for years to come and have someone answer posts in an official capacity on here, they always keep telling me it cannot be done etc.

In a sane world, it shouldn't be Phorm coming here telling us what is happening - Phorm is not our ISP - Virgin Media is and they should be explaining things regarding setups their end. Agree?
Fully agree and thats why VM will not be my ISP soon.

Old 06-03-2008, 21:12   #659
none
Inactive

Quote:
I know but there has to be at least some credit shown for having the balls to come and face the public head on esp on here
Dont be so quick to give credit.

They come here because its in their own selfish interest to do so, nothing more. By trying to appease the angry crowd, they hope less users will leave their ISP. This matters because if there were a mass boycott of all things Phorm, their business model is gone as no ISP will then touch them for fear of losing customers.
Old 06-03-2008, 21:17   #660
markt50
Inactive

markt50 is on a distinguished roadmarkt50 is on a distinguished road

Even I agree that it shows some bottle for them to come on here and I have to give them respect for that. A part of me thinks that this is a combination of a misunderstanding of the technology combined with some bad initial communication on Phorms part. It seems this has caught them on the hop a bit.

It doesn't mean I'm any happier about what Phorm does, and I'm definately to yet be convinced by their arguments, my stance is that I will still be looking for a new ISP and telling anyone else who cares to do the same thing because I'm just as angry at Virgin for the way it looks like they are allowing it to be implemented (i.e. the default of being opted in).
Closed Thread