Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What have you fixed lately?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

What have you fixed lately?

Old 01-06-2020, 16:02   #796
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: What have you fixed lately?

A garden table with rotten feet is now a few inches shorter with plastic feet. I intend to make all new garden furniture but the timber I need is scarce.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2020, 16:40   #797
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

My son's mother's selfish and autocratic attitude as to when I can have extra contact with him...

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:24   #798
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
A garden table with rotten feet is now a few inches shorter with plastic feet. I intend to make all new garden furniture but the timber I need is scarce.
True, ironwoods, teak etc are expensive but do last without treatment. They can go a dull grey/green colour but form own protective layer.
When my brother-in-law put our deck in we would have liked to use ironwoods, we had the money for the timber but not for the tools needed to work them. As it was the deck grew from a small stand about half width of house to something all round the backside of house and round the side to back door, no step up/down. There are thousands of screws holding it together and the planks are all offset so easier to replace one and they don't all move at same rate.
Old 17-06-2020, 15:51   #799
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

My main PC which is also my media server: It had been behaving oddly resetting or powering down out of the blue. I changed the PSU but the problems continued until it wouldn't start up at all. At least it ran long enough to get an up-to-date backup of critical data.

Seems a fault in the old PSU (+5v SB was 6.2v) had damaged the power control and reset circits on the Mobo. ( nForce3-A)

I'd almost resigned myself to a new build when on the off chance I googled the Mobo and found a tested and guaranteed one on ebay from Riga in Latvia. Amazing as it's 15 years old. Arrived beautifully packed with a CD of the test photographs.

Fitted and it works fine. (So far, fingers crossed ) The CPU supplied with it is an Athlon 64, my old one was a Sempron so a bit more horsepower under the hood. The installed XP SP3 was quite happy to accept the new CPU.
Old 16-07-2020, 17:41   #800
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

One of the solar rocks had stopped working. Just needed the battery contacts cleaning up: Good tweak with the pliers, shot of engineer's magic spray, freshly charged battery and good to go.
Old 17-07-2020, 20:29   #801
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Wall mounted our TV, so when my mum mum comes home were her bed will be she can see the TV.

My brother-in-law helped put it up, 2"+ screws
Old 17-07-2020, 23:28   #802
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Wall mounted our TV, so when my mum mum comes home were her bed will be she can see the TV.

My brother-in-law helped put it up, 2"+ screws
2" - thats a pretty small screen

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 11:20   #803
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

A partly rotted garden bench is now a solid single seat.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 22:54   #804
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

Services: BB & PHONE
ThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond repute

Fixed my jet engine stock cpu cooler by replacing it with a Noctua. Silence is golden.
ThunderPants73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 23:32   #805
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I fixed CF email the other day, not that anyone seemed to notice it was down ...
Admin of a site is a thankless job, most is done in the background so no-one ever knows.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 19:40   #806
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I fixed CF email the other day, not that anyone seemed to notice it was down ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Admin of a site is a thankless job, most is done in the background so no-one ever knows.
Thus the old joke about IT - why do we spend so much on it when it doesn’t go wrong?

When it goes wrong - why are we spending so much on it?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 16:33   #807
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Since I repaired the PC the TV seemed unable to browse the media servers files and folders. Despite ensuring that the PC had the same IP and MAC as before. Another section in the sets apps could see some selected files and play them.

Tried any number of things like re-detecting and testing the server to TV connects ( all fine), checking router and firewall settings, open ports etc

Last week I started to get a message on TV startup: "Due to a boot error some applications may not be available"

It's the Media Player, it always is and the cure is a factory reset. Now the player connects to the servers without any problems. There must be some extra information squirrelled away in the set that "remembers" something about the PC that the servers are running on that cannot be reset / cleared through the normal menus.

Sony Bravia KDL42W706

The message "Could not receive contents list" in the Media Player from Media Servers can be fixed by a factory reset.
Old 25-08-2020, 21:09   #808
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

On my TV I get a message sometimes stating: Restarting the App to free up more space... Dhoooo.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 10:20   #809
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

I've had "The Android process has stopped"

No evidence as to what process and the OS isn't Android. It is on the next years sets so I guess this one is a mish-mash. UMS* suggests it's Mint when reporting the renderer data.

Also "Media Player has stopped" That one only seems to happen occasionally when playing content from the USB port Only a full power cycle will restore the Media Player operation.

*Universal Media Server
Old 04-09-2020, 11:45   #810
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Had a BSOD on the PC this morning (Had several recently all with different fault references) and afterwards the cordless mouse wasn't working. Went through all the usual stuff checking the driver, etc. Even plugged in a USB mouse to prove the system was working. Then I thought "Has it just lost wireless connection?" Re synched it and now working fine. That's two hours of faffing about.

Windows is an absolute pig to drive throgh the keyboard.

Like tearing apart the washing machine only to find the fuse has gone.