Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Hitron poor performance

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Hitron poor performance

Old 14-05-2019, 16:23   #1
mdis89
Inactive

mdis89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hitron poor performance

Hello! Hopefully somebody here can help me, so far a few other forums havnt been able to help.

Ive been having issues with the Hitron router supplied by Virgin. A direct ethernet to my PC connection, works perfectly (350Mbps).

However, a wired Raspberry Pi is only getting about 75Mbps speeds
On my old residential connection with the Hub3, it was getting the full 100Mbps i had at the time...

Powerline adapters are only getting about 35Mbps
Previous Hub3 was again getting the full 100Mbps through powerline (full speeds on my residential package).

Wifi is poor outside of the room the router is installed in too, (less than 100Mbps).

---

So my question is... has this been a common issue with anybody else? Am i just being whingey and expecting too much? Can these issues even be fixed?

I was advised Flow Control should be turned on, but there is no option for that within the Hitron router settings as far as im aware?
mdis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-05-2019, 23:23   #2
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Hitron poor performance

The fact your PC is getting the full speed when wired indicates that the Hitron is performing well, as is your VMB cable connection. Is the Pi directly cabled to the Hitron, or at least the same device that your PC was connected? if they are connected to the same device, then I would check the cables (try swapping them to see if the poor performance moves), then try swapping the ports PC & Pi are connected to to see if the problem moves.

If after both of these the problem remains with the Pi then it points to an issue with the Pi itself - maybe it's network drivers were updated?

One thing to also check - on all devices you are connecting are the ethernet ports set to auto negotiate speed & duplex? Particularly with 100 Mb/s devices, but generally good practice anyway, it is important that both switch and device ends match - either both configured for the same set speed & duplex or both auto, but not one end auto and one end fixed.

Unfortunately both powerline & WiFi are variable and depend on local conditions at the time.

The key thing here is that your PC connected to the Hitron works at full speed.

The Hitron WiFi isn't great. I'd suggest using a WiFi access point with decent antennas to maximise coverage.

I do have the Hitron setup too, but don't have WiFi on it as I am using the fixed routed subnet option, which disables WiFi, so already switched to a WiFi access point and have no issues and get around 370 Mb/s most of the time.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 11:24   #3
mdis89
Inactive

mdis89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Hitron poor performance

ill try switching the ports theyre plugged in to, i was going to try it, but then thought.. No, surely that wouldnt make any difference whatsoever... :/

Ill double check the other settings you mentioned too, but fairly sure theyre all as advised.

Weirdly the Hub3 router gave better performance to the Pi and to a Powerline adapter too - Thats whats thrown me thinking there is an issue with the Hitron.

---

Yeah overall i am just being picky, everything mostly works, and get the full speeds to my main PC luckily. Just expected an upgrade in speeds and performance around the rest of the house compared to the Hub3, not a decrease in both speed and performance.
mdis89 is offline   Reply With Quote