Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Old 16-06-2021, 05:19   #151
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

BT are offering Now TV Entertainment for £5 a month for two years (they call it the Essential pack).

https://www.bt.com/packages/essentia...FUMfBgAd1AcE1Q

When I enquired about taking BT TV the other month they offered to buy me out of my Virgin Media contract & install a phone line for free! Not sure if this was just for me, but I doubt it, which might be useful for anyone that's interested but tied to a VM contract.

---------- Post added at 04:19 ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 ----------

For those who like to have material served up to them, Netflix have just implemented a 'Play me something' button that you can select and it will play you various programmes to replicate the traditional linear channel experience:

https://about.netflix.com/en/news/pl...e-work-for-you
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-06-2021, 09:06   #152
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
BT are offering Now TV Entertainment for £5 a month for two years (they call it the Essential pack).

https://www.bt.com/packages/essentia...FUMfBgAd1AcE1Q

When I enquired about taking BT TV the other month they offered to buy me out of my Virgin Media contract & install a phone line for free! Not sure if this was just for me, but I doubt it, which might be useful for anyone that's interested but tied to a VM contract.

---------- Post added at 04:19 ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 ----------

For those who like to have material served up to them, Netflix have just implemented a 'Play me something' button that you can select and it will play you various programmes to replicate the traditional linear channel experience:

https://about.netflix.com/en/news/pl...e-work-for-you
Yes, I think this addresses the point that some people just want to turn on their TVs and don’t have the energy or desire to find out what’s on, being content to gawp at anything that lands on the screen.

---------- Post added at 08:04 ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
But why would you have pay TV if in your opinion there is no pay channels worth paying for this is what really stumps me.

Get a streaming box to access all your apps and a Freeview/Freesat recorder and your sorted plus paying less.
There are still some programmes that cannot be accessed via streamers.

Yes, pay-tv channels are poor value for money. But they still have one or two programmes that are worth seeing.

To be honest, we are near the tipping point now in this house.

---------- Post added at 08:06 ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
I've been getting that impression from content headlines I've seen.

I was really meaning I don't think VM would have it high on their list of priorities, they wouldn't go out if their way, though they'd probably add it if Acorn was up for a easy/straightforward deal.

I'd heard positive things about Shudder, though it's not really my genre.
I think that depends on their commitment to be a super-aggregator of content. It’s a bit of a half-hearted attempt at the moment!

All TV should be on there. It’s annoying to have to see this content through different sources.
Old 16-06-2021, 09:58   #153
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

It’s annoying when the people who actually spend tens of millions a year on Market Research views don’t along with yours…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 11:13   #154
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
It’s annoying when the people who actually spend tens of millions a year on Market Research views don’t along with yours…
My greatest detractors rubbish some of the links I post on the basis that they come from market researchers.
Old 16-06-2021, 13:31   #155
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Though it always feels (certainly to me) like a significant proportion of Market Research for any sector is exaggeration to justify their existence.

And also the opposite end, them sugarcoating things they find out so not to offend their clients, meaning what they find is diluted.

I'm fairly sure many of had something they were fond of change for no obvious reason. Sometimes this is due to us having an inaccurate understanding of the general opinion or world situation, other times it can be the Market Research team misrepresenting or misunderstanding the results of their investigation.

My point, that Market Research is a good and bad thing.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 15:42   #156
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

OB you've been saying your at tipping point for literally years , so you can't get a few shows so what there are only so many hours in the day to watch TV.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 17:46   #157
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
OB you've been saying your at tipping point for literally years , so you can't get a few shows so what there are only so many hours in the day to watch TV.
I don’t watch that much, actually, but I am choosy about what I watch.

Yes, I have been saying that, but Virgin is so far behind. Sky is better in terms of the streamers, but I don’t like the way their on demand service works.

I’m not jumping until conditions are right for me.
Old 16-06-2021, 20:55   #158
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

Yes, I have been saying that, but Virgin is so far behind. Sky is better in terms of the streamers, but I don’t like the way their on demand service works.

You don't need Virgin or Sky to access the streamers your literally paying for a few shows in your case with Virgin and Sky.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 20:59   #159
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:

Regarding your post "wife doesn't like the cables" easy solution to that mini pc only need one hdmi cable and you will get all the online stuff you sub to on it, you can pick one up for around £150 nowadays.
Old 16-06-2021, 21:41   #160
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Regarding your post "wife doesn't like the cables" easy solution to that mini pc only need one hdmi cable and you will get all the online stuff you sub to on it, you can pick one up for around £150 nowadays.
I had never considered a mini-pc for my TV! Thanks, I will look into that.
Old 16-06-2021, 21:46   #161
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
I had never considered a mini-pc for my TV! Thanks, I will look into that.
A few use them at work there are sticks too for around £100.
Old 18-06-2021, 19:37   #162
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

Now are changing their streaming limit for non Boost customers, basically you will only be able to use one device at a time!
I don't know how long this change has been known about but I just logged into my account and received this message:-
"Our streaming limit is changing
As a member with Boost, you’re not affected by this change, but we just wanted to let you know that from 15 July members without Boost can only stream on one device at a time. With Boost, you can continue to stream on 3 devices."

This seems to be making Boost a mandatory extra, although it will pretty much destroy account sharing without Boost.
buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 21:53   #163
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
Now are changing their streaming limit for non Boost customers, basically you will only be able to use one device at a time!
I don't know how long this change has been known about but I just logged into my account and received this message:-
"Our streaming limit is changing
As a member with Boost, you’re not affected by this change, but we just wanted to let you know that from 15 July members without Boost can only stream on one device at a time. With Boost, you can continue to stream on 3 devices."

This seems to be making Boost a mandatory extra, although it will pretty much destroy account sharing without Boost.
That change just came in.

Several of the streamers have made changes recently to discourage account sharing.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 22:11   #164
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
That change just came in.

Several of the streamers have made changes recently to discourage account sharing.

Perfectly understandable - must be losing a lot of money with password sharing.

Possibly allowed it until now to suck people in who may now subscribe to retain the facility?
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 20:13   #165
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Britbox:

First 30 days free, then 50% off the next three months with code SUMMER2021

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 19-06-2021 at 20:18.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote