Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)
Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 19:20   #421
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Not very nice of them failing to put their subscribers first. Glad to see that Virgin and BT have a different mindset.
No reason was given so unable to gauge what has happened or who is to blame.

---------- Post added at 19:20 ---------- Previous post was at 18:44 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Do l detest sour grapes old boy.
The sour grapes response would be to say "Well due to the time delay most of the live events run from midnight to roughly midday. I'm going to be too busy either sleeping or at work to waste my time watching adults messing about in the cold. Glad SKY didn't waste money on this. Shows an element of quality control. Hooray for common sense. "
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2018, 20:05   #422
Pster72
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media Tivo VIP Package (Including Sky sports and Movies)
Pster72 is a jewel in the roughPster72 is a jewel in the roughPster72 is a jewel in the roughPster72 is a jewel in the roughPster72 is a jewel in the rough

Any news on MTV classic coming back
Old 08-02-2018, 04:58   #423
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pster72 View Post
None Sir.
Old 08-02-2018, 13:49   #424
virginruinedntl
Inactive

virginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I think Virgin should resist until the HD version is offered. PQ on standard definition, at least when I viewed it, was abysmal.
the resolution on freeview is 544x576i h264 at around 1.6Mbps for a wrestling show I recorded. I think football is around 1.9Mbps. Virgin media don't just broadcast the same feed, they take the raw uncompressed feeds then encode them themselves in whatever resolution and bitrates they wish so image quality wouldn't be a problem on virgin media.

If they launch a HD channel on freeview it wouldn't surprise me if they went HD-only as you already need Freeview HD to receive their dvb-t2 h264+he-aac sd channel so why pay for 2 freeview slots instead of 1.

Last edited by virginruinedntl; 08-02-2018 at 13:54.
Old 08-02-2018, 14:42   #425
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginruinedntl View Post
the resolution on freeview is 544x576i h264 at around 1.6Mbps for a wrestling show I recorded. I think football is around 1.9Mbps. Virgin media don't just broadcast the same feed, they take the raw uncompressed feeds then encode them themselves in whatever resolution and bitrates they wish so image quality wouldn't be a problem on virgin media.

If they launch a HD channel on freeview it wouldn't surprise me if they went HD-only as you already need Freeview HD to receive their dvb-t2 h264+he-aac sd channel so why pay for 2 freeview slots instead of 1.
I wasn't aware of this. Do VM do the same thing across all channels?
Old 08-02-2018, 16:17   #426
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post
Most HD channels yes. One of the reasons we have the additional Eurosport pop-up channels & Sky don't. The majority of the other feeds are Satellite fed (Astra 28.2E) & there is also the capability to pick up Freeview DTT signals from the Crystal Palace transmitter in London should it be needed.
Old 08-02-2018, 16:19   #427
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post
No, many channels are redistributed from satellite without re-encoding
Old 08-02-2018, 17:08   #428
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I think Virgin should resist until the HD version is offered. PQ on standard definition, at least when I viewed it, was abysmal.
Well, well!

http://www.a516digital.com/2018/02/f...d-upgrade.html

FreeSports announces HD upgrade
Old 08-02-2018, 17:19   #429
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginruinedntl View Post

They have previously said that they won't be launching in HD on the Freeview platform due to the 'prohibitive cost'.
Old 08-02-2018, 18:22   #430
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
They have previously said that they won't be launching in HD on the Freeview platform due to the 'prohibitive cost'.
That's the downside, but maybe now they are offering HD , VM may go for it. At least, I hope so.

---------- Post added at 18:22 ---------- Previous post was at 17:39 ----------

Quote:
No, but MTV OMG launches on Virgin Media on 1 March.

http://www.digitaltveurope.com/2018/...hannel-for-uk/
Old 08-02-2018, 19:37   #431
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
That's the downside, but maybe now they are offering HD , VM may go for it. At least, I hope so.

---------- Post added at 18:22 ---------- Previous post was at 17:39 ----------

No, but MTV OMG launches on Virgin Media on 1 March.

http://www.digitaltveurope.com/2018/...hannel-for-uk/
Personal preference but I honestly can't remember the last time I watched any of them.

I noticed it's also arriving on Sky can't wait !!!!

Last edited by muppetman11; 08-02-2018 at 19:50.
Old 08-02-2018, 20:40   #432
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Watch this space - Virgin Channel 317 is free!

Talking about Virgin

Pirates of the Caribbean will have it own Sky Cinema Channel for an week starting on Saturday (Info from Radio Times)
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 08-02-2018, 23:08   #433
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Could you add this to your blog please MB? It's a petition to get VM to add Freesports:

https://www.change.org/p/add-the-fre...ex55%3Acontrol
Old 09-02-2018, 10:33   #434
Richc1977
cf.addict

Services: V6, Full House, 200MB BB, Netflix UHD, Sky Go
Richc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to behold

To confirm something that was discussed on here earlier. I just received an email from VM offering a free upgrade from Tivo to V6.

---------- Post added at 10:33 ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 ----------

Interestingly when I signed up for the upgrade I'm offered a quick start self install, so I have to set it up myself. I guess they give me instructions on how to return or dispose of the Tivo.

I can still choose to have an engineer do it but at a cost of £40. So I guess this is how they are able to offer them for free now.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:58   #435
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Although Eurosport 3, 4 and 5 are only available on V6 and TiVo boxes for Full House customers in HD, those on lower packs can watch them in SD on the Virgin TV Go app. Odd that the SD versions are not on V6 and TiVo boxes then!
Closed Thread