Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Post-Brexit Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Post-Brexit Thread
Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 00:08   #3646
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Post-Brexit Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Not even close to being true:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
.. but the point is being missed, Horizon said "... where the country (NOT London) is so universally united"

couldn't be further from the truth, as Mrs May recently pointed out.

Unless ~50% is the new definition of "united" [COLOR="Silver"].
It's interesting how some can interpret things so differently from others.

How is it not true, the country being united, that is?

On your own graph, whole regions of the country voted by a huge majority to vote leave, almost 60% and most of the others by over 50%. Only Scotland, NI and London voted differently. You never get a general election result so overwhelmingly clear like that.

I call that very united!

Last edited by Horizon; 04-01-2017 at 00:16.
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2017, 00:18   #3647
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post

On your own graph, whole regions of the country voted by a huge majority to vote leave, almost 60% and most of the others by over 50%. Only Scotland, NI and London voted differently.

I call that very united!
52% v 48% is not united. A figure that includes the Remain stronghold of Gibraltar.

That being said, I agree the country is united about the Government getting on and doing Brexit now that we have committed to it.
Old 04-01-2017, 00:19   #3648
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Would you have preferred for Cameron to have remained PM?
Do you really think I'm that stupid?
Old 04-01-2017, 00:23   #3649
Horizon
Media Watcher

Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
52% v 48% is not united. A figure that includes the Remain stronghold of Gibraltar.

That being said, I agree the country is united about the Government getting on and doing Brexit now that we have committed to it.
The vote from the British people was clear and overwhelmingly. London has skewed the results due to its huge, foreign population.
Old 04-01-2017, 00:30   #3650
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Do you really think I'm that stupid?
I wouldn't have thought previously that you wished Cameron to remain PM. But your recent criticism of him for running away suggests you did not wish him to step down.

---------- Post added at 23:30 ---------- Previous post was at 23:25 ----------

Quote:
The vote from the British people was clear and overwhelmingly. London has skewed the results due to its huge, foreign population.
As others have explained - most foreigners were unable to vote in the referendum. The Poles, French, Romanians, Italians...all unable to vote.
Don't forget Scotland, Northern Ireland and many English cities like Liverpool and Manchester all voted to remain.
Old 04-01-2017, 00:34   #3651
Horizon
Media Watcher

Quote:
I wouldn't have thought previously that you wished Cameron to remain PM. But your recent criticism of him for running away suggests you did not wish him to step down.

---------- Post added at 23:30 ---------- Previous post was at 23:25 ----------

As others have explained - most foreigners were unable to vote in the referendum. The Poles, French, Romanians, Italians...all unable to vote.
Don't forget Scotland, Northern Ireland and many English cities like Liverpool and Manchester all voted to remain.
Sorry, but you are wrong. Loads of foreigners voted.... have you ever been to London?
Old 04-01-2017, 00:47   #3652
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Sorry, but you are wrong. Loads of foreigners voted.... have you ever been to London?
Those who could vote were British, Irish and Commonwealth citizens who lived in the UK, along with Britons who have lived abroad for less than 15 years.
I can imagine Irish nationals would vote Remain. Many Commonwealth nationals voted leave as they felt that if immigration was reduced from the EU, it would increase from Commonwealth countries.
Crucially, no other EU nationals apart from Ireland could vote...and these significantly comprise its foreign population.
Old 04-01-2017, 00:57   #3653
Horizon
Media Watcher

Quote:
Those who could vote were British, Irish and Commonwealth citizens who lived in the UK, along with Britons who have lived abroad for less than 15 years.
I can imagine Irish nationals would vote Remain. Many Commonwealth nationals voted leave as they felt that if immigration was reduced from the EU, it would increase from Commonwealth countries.
Crucially, no other EU nationals apart from Ireland could vote...and these significantly comprise its foreign population.
As you correctly pointed out both Irish and Commonwealth citizens voted. Which is over 3 million in London alone... You say that the majority from the commonwealth voted to stay in, I beg to differ.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:08   #3654
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
As you correctly pointed out both Irish and Commonwealth citizens voted. Which is over 3 million in London alone... You say that the majority from the commonwealth voted to stay in, I beg to differ.
Only 3.8m voted in London so Commonwealth/Irish citizens would have formed a percentage of this figure but not 3m of it.

I didn't say the majority from the Commonwealth voted to stay in and I'm not sure this figure is known. I said "I can imagine Irish nationals would vote Remain. Many Commonwealth nationals voted leave as they felt that if immigration was reduced from the EU, it would increase from Commonwealth countries."
Old 04-01-2017, 01:15   #3655
Horizon
Media Watcher

.... as you correctly say the number of commonwealth citizens voting or how they voted is not know. But we can extrapolate a rough guess based on the demographics of each London borough. And guess who is the majority population in the 5 London boroughs that voted to leave...? British of course. The rest of London is majority foreign and it is not out of this world to suggest that they voted a different way. I suggest they did. The correlation is clear.

The 3 million figure I quoted is for foreign residents in London. I didn't say they all voted, that's just how many are registered to vote.

Last edited by Horizon; 04-01-2017 at 01:30.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:56   #3656
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
.... as you correctly say the number of commonwealth citizens voting or how they voted is not know. But we can correlate a rough guess based on the demographics of each London borough. And guess who is the majority population in the 5 London boroughs that voted to leave...? British of course. The rest of London is majority foreign and it is not out of this world to suggest that they voted a different way. I suggest they did.

The 3 million figure I quoted is for foreign residents in London. I didn't say they all voted, that's just how many are registered to vote.
I get the theory but the facts don't prove it. Take a Remain borough like Richmond. Very few Commonwealth citizens but plenty of EU nationals who couldn't vote. The borough voted Remain.

Quote:
The rest of London is majority foreign and it is not out of this world to suggest that they voted a different way. I suggest they did. The correlation is clear.
There's a correlation between people who have strong interactions with immigrants and a vote to remain. Boroughs like Hammersmith & Fulham with low percentages of eligible foreign-born residents still voted to remain.

---------- Post added at 00:56 ---------- Previous post was at 00:43 ----------

Speak truth to power’, departing envoy tells UK Brussels staff
“Serious multilateral negotiating experience is in short supply in Whitehall, and that is not the case in the [European] Commission or in the Council,” he writes. “The government will only achieve the best for the country if it harnesses the best experience we have . . . and negotiates resolutely. Senior ministers . . . also need from you detailed, unvarnished — even where this is uncomfortable — and nuanced understanding of the views, interests and incentives of the other 27.

“I hope you will continue to challenge ill-founded arguments and muddled thinking and that you will never be afraid to speak the truth to those in power.”
Google headline or subscribers' direct link https://www.ft.com/content/88c29514-...1-7393bb2e1b51
Also at: http://news.sky.com/story/britains-o...rexit-10717357

Last edited by 1andrew1; 04-01-2017 at 02:03.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:00   #3657
Horizon
Media Watcher

Quote:
I get the theory but the facts don't prove it. Take a Remain borough like Richmond. Very few Commonwealth citizens but plenty of EU nationals who couldn't vote. The borough voted Remain.
You have some very wealthy London boroughs like Richmond where all the "elites" live. Google "Islington Sect", if you're not familiar with the term. A few liberals live there too...I would need to check the demographics in those boroughs, but I'm not so sure they are majority British. The Chinese and Arabs own central London now...

But places like Richmond are filled with bankers and media types etc who voted to stay in because of all the cheap foreign labour. The term "Polish Plumber" is very popular in London. So these boroughs, are not representative of how the majority of the population voted.

I'll check the demographics tomorrow, because as said, I don't think they are majority British in any case. But if they are, that would be the reason. They are the rich areas that benefit from foreign labour.

There are 32 London boroughs and the demographics in them are pretty clear. Just not sure about Richmond and a few others. You pick Richmond, I pick Tower Hamlets.

Last edited by Horizon; 04-01-2017 at 02:12.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:00   #3658
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I just wish he did what he said he would do, invoke article 50! He didn't as he did not expect to have to. That makes him an ass-hole!
Old 04-01-2017, 08:00   #3659
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:

On your own graph, whole regions of the country voted by a huge majority to vote leave, almost 60% and most of the others by over 50%. Only Scotland, NI and London voted differently. You never get a general election result so overwhelmingly clear like that.

I call that very united!
The country is most definitely not united ,almost half the voters are against the decision to leave the EU that is why the process up to now has been so so troublesome .You simply cannot say that the vote has united the country .

---------- Post added at 06:55 ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 ----------

Quote:
Would you have preferred for Cameron to have remained PM?
Either stayed to follow through on the result as he promised or resigned in a more controlled manner instead of spitting his dummy out .He has done the country a great disservice and if he is never seen in Parliament again it will be too soon

---------- Post added at 07:00 ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 ----------

Quote:
.... as you correctly say the number of commonwealth citizens voting or how they voted is not know. But we can extrapolate a rough guess based on the demographics of each London borough. And guess who is the majority population in the 5 London boroughs that voted to leave...? British of course. The rest of London is majority foreign and it is not out of this world to suggest that they voted a different way. I suggest they did. The correlation is clear.

You can tweak the figures as much as you like but it still doesn't mean the country is united behind Brexit ,the exact opposite is true

Old 04-01-2017, 08:20   #3660
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
The country is most definitely not united ,almost half the voters are against the decision to leave the EU that is why the process up to now has been so so troublesome .You simply cannot say that the vote has united the country .
The country had some divisions before the referendum and whether one agrees with Brexit or not that has just widened the divisions as one can see.