Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 14:34   #871
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traduk View Post
I would agree that Ernst and Young is highly reputable company which has and deserves maximum respect.

In the attached Url to their Pdf document the penultimate paragraph is very worthy of note.

http://www.phorm.com/user_privacy/EY_Phorm_Exam.pdf
I think I might save that file just in case it "goes missing" over the next few days.
Advertisement
Old 09-03-2008, 14:50   #872
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyL View Post
The Telegraph online thinks we should Shut up or pack up!

I wonder whether the Torygraph's website has signed up with OIX, perhaps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhormUKPRteam View Post
In terms of audit, the claims Phorm make as regards systems, policies and procedures are regularly audited by the privacy audit department of Ernst & Young.

Any chance of Phorm being audited according to UK/EU privacy & data protection standards, instead of American?
Old 09-03-2008, 15:06   #873
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Interesting that a former boss at the Telegraph is behind the launch of OIX Source : Here
Old 09-03-2008, 15:09   #874
RizzyKing

Christ all this time and still no solid answers for me to have nothing concrete after all this time tells me there are things we are not to know about. All this about targeted ad's is really ****ing me off as it seems phorm can't understand i want no ad's and if i have to suffer them it will be because i choose to not because phorm think it is relevent to me. Also i have the sneaking suspicion that this term "relevent" equates to whoever pays us. I go to my online bank site to check balance and phorm decides finance ad's are relevent to me. Phorm and all it's representatives please take note of the hostility and anger you have caused and retreat from this because while in the start it may be bad for users i gaurantee this will end very badly for you.

Old 09-03-2008, 15:26   #875
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorm View Post
Probably not. An IP address and list of web sites visited does not constitute "personal information", as far as I can see:

http://www.dataprotectionact.org/2.html
I'm asking them not to process my data in any way that isn't required for providing my service. In doing this I'm asking them not to pass any info about my account to phorm - that's any info, not just personally identifiable info.

Quote:
SCHEDULE 2 Conditions relevant for purposes of the first principle: processing of any personal data

1 The data subject has given his consent to the processing.

2 The processing is necessary—

(a) for the performance of a contract to which the data subject is a party, or

(b) for the taking of steps at the request of the data subject with a view to entering into a contract.

3 The processing is necessary for compliance with any legal obligation to which the data controller is subject, other than an obligation imposed by contract.

4 The processing is necessary in order to protect the vital interests of the data subject.

5 The processing is necessary—

(a) for the administration of justice,

(b) for the exercise of any functions conferred on any person by or under any enactment,

(c) for the exercise of any functions of the Crown, a Minister of the Crown or a government department, or

(d) for the exercise of any other functions of a public nature exercised in the public interest by any person.

6 (1) The processing is necessary for the purposes of legitimate interests pursued by the data controller or by the third party or parties to whom the data are disclosed, except where the processing is unwarranted in any particular case by reason of prejudice to the rights and freedoms or legitimate interests of the data subject.

(2) The Secretary of State may by order specify particular circumstances in which this condition is, or is not, to be taken to be satisfied.
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/Acts/acts1998...029_en_10#sch2
Old 09-03-2008, 15:30   #876
gaz1
Inactive

gaz1 is an unknown quantity at this point

this would be normal connection to the internet as i see
Attachment 15950

is this how phorms/webwise is connecting to the isp connection?
Attachment 15951

if so this is happening without my consent then phorms/webwise is intercepting my direct connection without my express permission or consent in doing so is illegal
and is something i would never grant them to do or allow my isp to allow this connection to a third party

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000..._20000023_en_2

can phorms explain how they insert code into the explorer page after interception and then sent onto other parties sites

as i believe in doing so would be breaking major browsers, including Internet Explorer, Firefox, Netscape and Opera html page code of practices
Old 09-03-2008, 16:07   #877
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz1 View Post
Attachment 15950

if so this is happening without my consent then phorms/webwise is intercepting my direct connection without my express permission or consent in doing so is illegal
Anyone experiencing any delays in browsing of late?
Old 09-03-2008, 16:14   #878
lucevans
Inactive

lucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post

Any chance of Phorm being audited according to UK/EU privacy & data protection standards, instead of American?
As far as I am concerned, any privacy assurances given by a commerical company are not worth the paper they're written on. The only audit I would even consider trusting would be one undertaken by a neutral, non-profit making organization who has nothing to gain or lose by telling the truth. Ernst & Young can claim to be impartial, but at the end of the day, if they publish conclusions that scupper the client's product, then they're not going to attract much future business, are they?
I don't think the UK government are going to stick up for us on this one, because there's the promise of someone somewhere making a huge pile of money out of this, and they seem to be much more interested in "economic growth" than "citizen welfare" - so I think the EU is a better bet. Maybe we all ought to be writing to our MEPs about this (I don't even know what mine's name is...)
Old 09-03-2008, 16:19   #879
bigbadcol
Inactive

bigbadcol is on a distinguished roadbigbadcol is on a distinguished road

The more protest the higher the risk of the companies being hit in the share price.

sign here

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/ispphorm/

And make as much protest as you can, and hope that the share prices start to drop at the start of trading tomorrow.

The only way to stop this is to hit the companies involved through the market.
Old 09-03-2008, 17:01   #880
Valerie
Inactive

Services: VM 10 (well >4!) Meg via modem, M tv pack, 1 phone line
Valerie is a glorious beacon of lightValerie is a glorious beacon of lightValerie is a glorious beacon of lightValerie is a glorious beacon of lightValerie is a glorious beacon of lightValerie is a glorious beacon of lightValerie is a glorious beacon of light

gosh - it's hard work keeping up with this! Can someone explain how phorm differs from google ads?
Old 09-03-2008, 17:05   #881
bigbadcol
Inactive

bigbadcol is on a distinguished roadbigbadcol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
gosh - it's hard work keeping up with this! Can someone explain how phorm differs from google ads?
Google adds can be blocked, Phorm can not.

Using google is an example that Phorm is confusing the issue.

Phorm is spywear google is not.
Old 09-03-2008, 17:11   #882
lucevans
Inactive

lucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
It's not the ads that have got people most worried - it is possible to block the Phorm ads by blocking the cookie that anonymously identifies you to the Phorm system (sounds like a contradiction, doesn't it?!)
What is far more concerning is the fact that even if you opt-out of the Phorm system, the hardware in Virgin Media's network that Phorm have installed to analyse your browsing habits still intercepts all your web browsing.
Old 09-03-2008, 17:40   #883
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
Anyone experiencing any delays in browsing of late?
AYE last night bigtime.

Was trying to update my mio maps for my sat nav.

It was sending the packets but then being delayed for receiving.

A strange HTTP error was being reported by the Mio updater as the update program kept crashing.

Now I not suggesting this was PHORM but its never happened before why NOW.

If anybody can tell me why this happens.

ps on this program for firefox.

Can he make the cookie imune from normal deletion I always clear cookies very quick if I have to enable.

I tend to run my browsing with them switched OFF.

Otherwise anybody know where firefox keeps them to save it and put it in the cookie folder.

I know where IE stores them but just cant find firefoxes.
Old 09-03-2008, 17:45   #884
gaz1
Inactive

gaz1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadcol View Post
Google adds can be blocked, Phorm can not.

Using google is an example that Phorm is confusing the issue.

Phorm is spywear google is not.
also you dont need phorm/webwise to block phishing as google and other browsers do it anyway
same with hotmails toolbar it blocks unwanted advertisements

its just that we dont need this phorm/webwise as most of us already have it implemented on our systems by our own choice we opted to use them so we have no need for them or to be forced to use them or them to be on our connection at all
Old 09-03-2008, 17:51   #885
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz1 View Post
Attachment 15950

Attachment 15951

and is something i would never grant them to do or allow my isp to allow this connection to a third party

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000..._20000023_en_2

can phorms explain how they insert code into the explorer page after interception and then sent onto other parties sites

as i believe in doing so would be breaking major browsers, including Internet Explorer, Firefox, Netscape and Opera html page code of practices
Not entirely sure what you are driving at here, but if it is, as I suspect, "how do they replace the site's ads?", then it's simple. Sites, if they want their ads to be replaced, have to opt in. As such, it is reasonable to assume that if a site's owners want to use Phorm for advertising, the code will already be there.
Closed Thread