Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 14:59   #346
none
Inactive

none is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nice
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77 & 102]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
I will then go to

BT for Phone.
Sky for TV
BE Unlimited for my BroadBand

A large loss to Virgin Media if we all do that.
agreed

funny enough BE unlimited are currently my first choice as an alternative broadband supplier.

Oh and look at that, BE even use https, even on their homepage unlike some 'super duper' suppliers :S
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2008, 15:02   #347
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

I have been having a quick dig and it seems that Kent Ertugrul who is CEO of Phorm was involved with companies that pushed root-kit & spyware on to unsuspecting users.

LINK

It seems to me that there is a lot more behind this "structured targeted ads" than meets the eye.

Maybe it would be an idea if we could get his address (email or snail) and bombard him with letters of complaint about the intrusion into our private surfing habits. Which after all are just that private. Why do browser software developers make programs that allow us to virtually browse the net without fear of ads and tracking? Because they understand privacy. VM for all their faults have gone one step to far and all subscribers should be given the choice to opt-in, or if they do make it that you are already opted-in then there should be clear and sufficent links, email-shots etc that shows just how to opt-out and that once opted out no information should be shared by VM and third parties due to the data protection act.
Old 01-03-2008, 15:05   #348
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by alferret View Post
I have been having a quick dig and it seems that Kent Ertugrul who is CEO of Phorm was involved with companies that pushed root-kit & spyware on to unsuspecting users.

LINK

It seems to me that there is a lot more behind this "structured targeted ads" than meets the eye.

Maybe it would be an idea if we could get his address (email or snail) and bombard him with letters of complaint about the intrusion into our private surfing habits. Which after all are just that private. Why do browser software developers make programs that allow us to virtually browse the net without fear of ads and tracking? Because they understand privacy. VM for all their faults have gone one step to far and all subscribers should be given the choice to opt-in, or if they do make it that you are already opted-in then there should be clear and sufficent links, email-shots etc that shows just how to opt-out and that once opted out no information should be shared by VM and third parties due to the data protection act.
Old news my friend, you should read through this thread in its entirety.
Old 01-03-2008, 15:10   #349
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
However, that list will not stop the monitoring you. Also, blocking zavvi is a little pointless. They have nothing to do with virgin.

Also, it will block access to websites linked to the three isps and phorm. It will not stop them monitoring you.
I would agree with this WE CANT do absolute anything to stop it. Blocking will not stop pop up adverts as you dont know who running the advert. You just have to do it when they appear keep blocking the pop ups as they appear if they attack you this way.

However I know why a certain thing which started to happen since christmas now maybe its the first PHORM attack. PEEPS you need to listen and be aware.

We have been pestered every few days on the phone with advertisements which clearly been targeted. All since I bought something from guess who yes ZAVVI. So they can get lost I will never buy from them again.

So even if VM say they wont pass personal details it seems Outside businesses such as carphonewarehouse, Zavvi might release peoples personal details for targeted junk mail and phone calls.

Its doing my mothers head in but exactly what can we do apart from keep changing your phone number. I rang VM they said they could block witheld numbers but that will not prevent it. As some dont withheld and family have withheld numbers. To me this type of advertising targeting should be banned however the government just as bad. They even sell details so you get junk.

So we wont get sypathy from them to fight this. Theres only one option we all pull our broadband tell them get stuffed. Drastic and in someways impossible option for 95% of us.
Old 01-03-2008, 15:31   #350
aMIGA_dUDE
Inactive

aMIGA_dUDE is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
Before anybody does this, please review the list in that hosts file. Many popular sites are listed. Only use this file if you ABSOLUTELY want to block all Virgin, BT, SKY and TALK TALK websites.

I think its a bit extreme to be honest, although I can see why some would want to do this.

If you want a grin, look at the comments on the hosts file.......goooood English.
Extreme not really, they are going to do a lot worse to us!

From view point this is my choice to install this on to my system and use it. Nothing like Virgin Media are going to do with Phorn.

As for wording in host file well it was written during early hours. If you would like to write an list with me then I am open for your to views. If would like to talk to me about it then email me at
dqHbEaR6N4rjjqtj@spambox.us
The e-mail account will close on Friday 07/03/08

---------- Post added at 14:31 ---------- Previous post was at 14:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucevans View Post
One glaring omission in that list.... webwise.com !!
Yep missed that one, doh.

also I should add aol.co.uk and geeksquad.co.uk as that is a CPW business.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Carphone_Warehouse
Old 01-03-2008, 16:12   #351
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by aMIGA_dUDE View Post
Extreme not really, they are going to do a lot worse to us!

From view point this is my choice to install this on to my system and use it. Nothing like Virgin Media are going to do with Phorn.

As for wording in host file well it was written during early hours. If you would like to write an list with me then I am open for your to views. If would like to talk to me about it then email me at
dqHbEaR6N4rjjqtj@spambox.us
The e-mail account will close on Friday 07/03/08

---------- Post added at 14:31 ---------- Previous post was at 14:20 ----------

Yep missed that one, doh.

also I should add aol.co.uk and geeksquad.co.uk as that is a CPW business.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Carphone_Warehouse
Not sure about the lot worse bit, no firm details from VM as yet on how they will launch this, but enough to cause a concern for most users.
Old 01-03-2008, 16:19   #352
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
Old news my friend, you should read through this thread in its entirety.

I would love to but best part of 400 post's is a lot, read some though but not the right ones
Old 01-03-2008, 16:21   #353
Toto
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by alferret View Post
I would love to but best part of 400 post's is a lot, read some though but not the right ones
Haha, yeh it isn't easy I know
Old 01-03-2008, 16:41   #354
bliss
Inactive

bliss is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anybody tell me the name of this webwise cookie or where it is stored? I've clicked opt out just to check and i don't see any phorm/oxi cookie!

Also, and this has been probably asked before...

Quote:
If I switch Webwise off, is my browsing behaviour still collected?

No - once you have switched off Webwise, the Webwise cookie prevents any of your browsing from being collected.
If this is the case then what is all the talk on here that they still watch your browsing? And it's just the end product (Ads) that you don't see. I do tend to believe CF more than that piece of junk website though.
Old 01-03-2008, 16:54   #355
Toto
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss View Post
Can anybody tell me the name of this webwise cookie or where it is stored? I've clicked opt out just to check and i don't see any phorm/oxi cookie!

Also, and this has been probably asked before...

If this is the case then what is all the talk on here that they still watch your browsing? And it's just the end product (Ads) that you don't see. I do tend to believe CF more than that piece of junk website though.
Set the webise page as your homepage, then close the browser. Delete all your cookies then open the browser back up. Click around the site a bit then close the browser down.

Look in your cookie folder again and see what's in there.
Old 01-03-2008, 17:00   #356
bliss
Inactive

Tbh i have a lot of cookies i want to keep. So removing then adding them all again is going to be a real pain. I presume nobody knows what the name of this cookie is then? I doubt it is random for every person. This whole thing is a joke.
Old 01-03-2008, 17:03   #357
Toto
Inactive

Quote:
Tbh i have a lot of cookies i want to keep. So removing then adding them all again is going to be a real pain. I presume nobody knows what the name of this cookie is then? I doubt it is random for every person. This whole thing is a joke.
OK, follow the same instructions but don't clean out your coockies. When you open the browser with the webwise page set as the homepage, note the time you opened and closed the browser, then sort the cookies by modified by date / time. Should be easy to spot then if any coockie from Webwise has been inserted.
Old 01-03-2008, 17:11   #358
bliss
Inactive

I don't seem to see that option in the Firefox cookie view screen.

Just decided to have a play around with IE and webwise i opted in out in out and then viewed all action from this time and even sorted by address, www.webwise.com. And guess what, no cookie. Just a bunch of images and a javascript file.
Old 01-03-2008, 17:25   #359
iglu
cf.addict

iglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant futureiglu has a brilliant future

Quote:
I don't seem to see that option in the Firefox cookie view screen.
tools >options>privacy> click show cookies
Old 01-03-2008, 17:27   #360
bliss
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iglu View Post
tools >options>privacy> click show cookies
I meant sorting by date/time. Isn't it odd that it doesn't show up in IE either?
Closed Thread