Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 24-05-2021, 18:15   #5266
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
So after declaring Cummins a liar and untrustworthy charlatan, you're willing to believe anything he says against Boris and the covid plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Oh - I do like that!
When did Andrew describe him in that way?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Advertisement
Old 24-05-2021, 18:21   #5267
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Seemingly on the back of Cummings' leaks, the press have been highlighting that the government did indeed have a herd immunity policy, which it is now denying the existence of.
Anybody with a memory knows Herd Immunity, a la, Sweden was originally the plan. Our scientists at the time said that was “the” science.

It was still the case that when forced to go into lockdown it was to “protect the NHS”. Flatten the curve not eradicate infection.

Herd immunity via vaccine or a controlled rate of infection would always be the only way out. A whack a mole policy where local NHS resources were at risk.

If we didn’t have a vaccine we would still have had to open up in some fashion.

I don’t know why the Gov are denying it. The story here is that they are denying it, not that it existed. Bizarre really.
Old 24-05-2021, 19:12   #5268
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

According to the Telegraph today:

On March 13 last year – ten days before Britain entered lockdown – Sir Patrick Vallance appeared on the Radio 4 Today programme to explain the Government strategy.

It was, he said, “to try and reduce the peak, broaden the peak, not to suppress it completely. Also because most people, the vast majority of people get a mild illness – to build up some degree of herd immunity as well – so that more people are immune to this disease, and we reduce the transmission. At the same time we protect those who are most vulnerable from it; those are the key things we need to do”.’

I can’t understand the denials either. Remember, there were no vaccines, nor any certainty of getting any at that time. The speed at which infections increased was not expected.
Old 24-05-2021, 19:23   #5269
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
According to the Telegraph today:

On March 13 last year – ten days before Britain entered lockdown – Sir Patrick Vallance appeared on the Radio 4 Today programme to explain the Government strategy.

It was, he said, “to try and reduce the peak, broaden the peak, not to suppress it completely. Also because most people, the vast majority of people get a mild illness – to build up some degree of herd immunity as well – so that more people are immune to this disease, and we reduce the transmission. At the same time we protect those who are most vulnerable from it; those are the key things we need to do”.’

I can’t understand the denials either. Remember, there were no vaccines, nor any certainty of getting any at that time. The speed at which infections increased was not expected.
Comedy gold OB.

"Not expected". The list of countries locking down, closing schools etc by this point was already extensive.

We were sitting playing the "multi generational households" card. British exceptionalism at its best.
Old 24-05-2021, 19:38   #5270
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Comedy gold OB.

"Not expected". The list of countries locking down, closing schools etc by this point was already extensive.

We were sitting playing the "multi generational households" card. British exceptionalism at its best.
For whatever reason, the scientists thought their strategy would work. Remember, you cannot defeat the virus by lockdowns alone - they only delay the spread. Clearly, they thought hospital admissions could be controlled by protecting those who were susceptible. That may have been the case, but of course they did not protect the vulnerable and allowed infections in care homes get totally out of control. This is where about half the deaths were recorded.

By the way, I am surprised that you find this funny. The scientists were doing their best and so were government ministers in this unprecedented situation. But of course, you are cleverly using your powers of hindsight to vent all your armchair criticisms. You've stolen Sir Kier's clothes.

Tell me, if you had all the answers at the time, and not knowing that we would get vaccines to help us achieve herd immunity, what would your plan have been to release people from lockdown at the end of this incarceration? Where did you think the virus would go, and when?
Old 24-05-2021, 19:43   #5271
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
When did Andrew describe him in that way?
Obviously I didn't, Papa's just playing to the cheap seats.
Old 24-05-2021, 19:49   #5272
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
For whatever reason, the scientists thought their strategy would work. Remember, you cannot defeat the virus by lockdowns alone - they only delay the spread. Clearly, they thought hospital admissions could be controlled by protecting those who were susceptible. That may have been the case, but of course they did not protect the vulnerable and allowed infections in care homes get totally out of control. This is where about half the deaths were recorded.

By the way, I am surprised that you find this funny. The scientists were doing their best and so were government ministers in this unprecedented situation. But of course, you are cleverly using your powers of hindsight to vent all your armchair criticisms. You've stolen Sir Kier's clothes.

Tell me, if you had all the answers at the time, and not knowing that we would get vaccines to help us achieve herd immunity, what would your plan have been to release people from lockdown at the end of this incarceration? Where did you think the virus would go, and when?
I find it absolutely hilarious Old Boy. Consistently wrong throughout but deciding that the Government are infallible and it's only the scientists who are to blame.

You're also asking me to hypothesise for a reality that doesn't exist. Which I will not do. There are plenty of countries managing the situation better than we were without vaccines - both in economic terms and public health terms.
Old 24-05-2021, 19:57   #5273
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I find it absolutely hilarious Old Boy. Consistently wrong throughout but deciding that the Government are infallible and it's only the scientists who are to blame.

I'm not 'blaming' anyone. This was an unprecedented situation and everyone was doing thdir best to work out a solution. However, it is absolutely appropriate to point out that the government was responding to medical advice. This is something that for some inexplicable reason you fail to acknowledge.
Old 24-05-2021, 20:02   #5274
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
I'm not 'blaming' anyone. This was an unprecedented situation and everyone was doing thdir best to work out a solution. However, it is absolutely appropriate to point out that the government was responding to medical advice. This is something that for some inexplicable reason you fail to acknowledge.
Yet ignored alternative options. Which is the purpose of Ministers - to make decisions.

I see no reason to allow my mind to descend into your fantasy where hapless politicians sit there and get scientists to tell them what to do. Ministers ask questions, set expectations, and that drives the analysis provided. This is a two way street not the one way street you portray.

As I say, one needn't have had to look far to see alternatives to keeping the economy open and pretending we would be different.
Old 24-05-2021, 20:06   #5275
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
You're also asking me to hypothesise for a reality that doesn't exist. Which I will not do. There are plenty of countries managing the situation better than we were without vaccines - both in economic terms and public health terms.
You're not getting away with that, jfman. You constantly criticise the government for locking down too late, but it has been explained to you in previous posts why that lockdown did not occur before that time.

So, given that you are of the view (just to be argumentative as usual) that lockdown happened too late and they should have gone for it earlier, I think I'm entitled to an answer from you as to what you would have done next had you been making the decisions.

You don't have that answer, from which I think we are entitled to draw our own conclusions.

---------- Post added at 20:06 ---------- Previous post was at 20:04 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman;36080633[B
]Yet ignored alternative options[/B]. Which is the purpose of Ministers - to make decisions.t

I see no reason to allow my mind to descend into your fantasy where hapless politicians sit there and get scientists to tell them what to do. Ministers ask questions, set expectations, and that drives the analysis provided. This is a two way street not the one way street you portray.

As I say, one needn't have had to look far to see alternatives to keeping the economy open and pretending we would be different.
What alternative options?
Old 24-05-2021, 20:13   #5276
jfman
Architect of Ideas

OB I can safely say that you've explained nothing to me in the hundreds of posts you've made on this subject.

Your fantasy reality in which nobody is working towards vaccines is no reality at all.
Old 24-05-2021, 21:01   #5277
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

And what does the benefit of hindsight show?
Link
Quote:
Conclusions
These results suggest that restrictions applied for a long period or reintroduced late in the pandemic (for example, in the event of a resurgence of cases) would exert, at best, a weaker, attenuated effect on the circulation of the virus and the number of casualties. Combined with the results in Haug et al. (2020), they suggest that lockdowns should be strict and brief.
Even if restrictions played a role early on, they had a one-off effect that would be hard to replicate going forward. This suggests that the heavy reliance on lockdowns as in the early stages of the pandemic may not be advised.
Old 24-05-2021, 21:17   #5278
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
And what does the benefit of hindsight show?
That if you retreat for 12 days in February 2020 to Chevening and don't attend five COBRA meetings, you lay yourself open to accusations that you were working on a Shakespeare biography instead of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Old 24-05-2021, 22:23   #5279
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Obviously I didn't, Papa's just playing to the cheap seats.
Not heard that one before - I’ve heard "economical with the actualité", "Terminological inexactitude", "telling porkies", as euphemisms for mendacity, but not that one…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 24-05-2021, 23:08   #5280
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
OB I can safely say that you've explained nothing to me in the hundreds of posts you've made on this subject.

Your fantasy reality in which nobody is working towards vaccines is no reality at all.
Blatant evasion of the question.

Best to move on, I guess. Position noted.