Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media & UKTV+ITV Channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media & UKTV+ITV Channels

Old 03-08-2018, 20:51   #691
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Virgin Media & UKTV+ITV Channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
exactly best to keep it in private so don't get peoples hopes up then for something to mess deal up
A shrewd company negotiates in private and a company who has a poor hand to play tends to go public..
Old 03-08-2018, 20:51   #692
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Worst possible scebpnario, Virgin cave in and up their subscription to cover the extra payment to UKTV.

I for one will not be happy.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 20:52   #693
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
A shrewd company negotiates in private and a company who has a poor hand to play tends to go public..
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 21:08   #694
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Worst possible scebpnario, Virgin cave in and up their subscription to cover the extra payment to UKTV.

lol, u on the piss mate......hic
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 21:09   #695
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:

What extra payment? UKTV haven't increased prices.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 21:13   #696
MatthewEastaugh
cf.member

MatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really nice

Quote:

From the looks of it, that's coming anyway:
https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...php?t=33706653

So maybe don't blame UKTV too hastily if / when it arrives!
MatthewEastaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:34   #697
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The missing Sky channels a while back did not cause the earthquake you are predicting and it won't happen this time either, no matter how much some are willing this to happen.

Life will go on, and Virgin will survive to fight another day. And Virgin will have shown that it is not a pushover for content providers to take advantage of.
For the record i'm not willing this to happen, but I think it has cost VM dearly now and will continue to do so into the future.

---------- Post added at 01:26 ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
I would imagine no one is winning in this battle. VM have lost a lot of customers. did anyone get a discount? I sent an angry email in but just got an apology not a discount. Maybe i need to use certain words if anyone can help....

As for UKTV they've been acting quite aggressive and dismissive but the advertisement loss will soon bite into them won't it? Its not like they have BSKYB deep pockets to deal with like when the sky channels went off air. This will start to hurt them just as much if not already
I got £3 a month off begrudgingly given to me. I was gobsmacked at the defensive and antagonistic nature of the conversation, which included lies to try and get me to stay. This was as much an issue to me as the loss of the channels.

Be warned though, that those receiving discounts are now being put into a new contract. They tried it with me, but after a letter from my solicitor they soon renaged.

---------- Post added at 01:29 ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
Probably true - and I'll certainly be very uncomfortable recommending Virgin for a wee while, even if I'm not about to disconnect myself.

But... let's also look at this from an advertiser point of view. You've got long-term contracts with UKTV based on x million viewers: Your supplier has shown willingness to drop 4 million of those at a hat, and not much willingness to get those back. They've instead preferred a social media campaign which will certainly get a few thousand (I suspect), maybe even 10s of thousands of people to switch but 4million? I very much doubt it.
YouGov did a poll and found that 43% of customers will or will consider leaving because of this, so whilst most customers will stay, I think it will have a huge impact.

---------- Post added at 01:34 ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
But who says that Virgin Media verbally agreed a deal and then backed out? as any Tom , Dick and Harry can say that but it should not mean we believe it what they say.
A verbal agreement is just as legally binding as a written agreement, however, proving it is another matter.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:09   #698
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
A verbal agreement is just as legally binding as a written agreement, however, proving it is another matter.
Let's face it most of us are making verbal agreements when we negotiate a new contract over the phone with VM. Seems their word isn't as good as ours when it comes to contract negotiations !

---------- Post added at 10:09 ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 ----------

Interesting article in the Guardian on the dispute.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.t...nels-uktv-cost
Customers being told they have to start a new contract if they lower their package? Is that normal? Didn't used to be. Desperate tactics from VM.
Looks like providers might be forced to write to customers in future when they are coming to the end of a contract.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:10   #699
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
What extra payment? UKTV haven't increased prices.
According to David Bouchier, UKTV demanded an increase and refused to negotiate.it was quite arrogant of them really.
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:26   #700
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
According to David Bouchier, UKTV demanded an increase and refused to negotiate.it was quite arrogant of them really.
Well it's a totally different story from UKTV, so someone is telling porkies. Initially VM didn't deny UKTV assertion that they hadn't increased costs.
Old 04-08-2018, 13:13   #701
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
For the record i'm not willing this to happen, but I think it has cost VM dearly now and will continue to do so into the future.

---------- Post added at 01:26 ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 ----------

I got £3 a month off begrudgingly given to me. I was gobsmacked at the defensive and antagonistic nature of the conversation, which included lies to try and get me to stay. This was as much an issue to me as the loss of the channels.

Be warned though, that those receiving discounts are now being put into a new contract. They tried it with me, but after a letter from my solicitor they soon renaged.

---------- Post added at 01:29 ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 ----------

YouGov did a poll and found that 43% of customers will or will consider leaving because of this, so whilst most customers will stay, I think it will have a huge impact.

---------- Post added at 01:34 ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 ----------

What did your solicitor say?
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 14:31   #702
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

That no new contract had been mentioned, let alone agreed upon, so they had no right to extend my contract.

---------- Post added at 14:31 ---------- Previous post was at 14:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Let's face it most of us are making verbal agreements when we negotiate a new contract over the phone with VM. Seems their word isn't as good as ours when it comes to contract negotiations !

---------- Post added at 10:09 ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 ----------

Interesting article in the Guardian on the dispute.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.t...nels-uktv-cost
Customers being told they have to start a new contract if they lower their package? Is that normal? Didn't used to be. Desperate tactics from VM.
Looks like providers might be forced to write to customers in future when they are coming to the end of a contract.
But if you denied agreeing to a new contract, you can bet your life that they will be able to find the recording. Funnily enough, when customers are promised a deal and it fails to materialise, the recordings are never available. All people get are "there's nothing in the notes to suggest what you are saying".

It's the first i've heard of downgrading needing a new contract, even Sky don't do this. I wonder if the policy has been changed out of desperation (which I would legally question) or if it's CS lying again??
Old 04-08-2018, 14:44   #703
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
That no new contract had been mentioned, let alone agreed upon, so they had no right to extend my contract.

---------- Post added at 14:31 ---------- Previous post was at 14:27 ----------

But if you denied agreeing to a new contract, you can bet your life that they will be able to find the recording. Funnily enough, when customers are promised a deal and it fails to materialise, the recordings are never available. All people get are "there's nothing in the notes to suggest what you are saying".

It's the first i've heard of downgrading needing a new contract, even Sky don't do this. I wonder if the policy has been changed out of desperation (which I would legally question) or if it's CS lying again??
I'm really struggling to believe this but I'll leave it there.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 14:51   #704
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

UKTV must be spending a lot on sponsored Twitter ads, it's every time they tweet about VM and comes across as really desperate.
SonicMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 14:52   #705
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I can confirm that my contract has no longer been extended and has been put back to its original end date.

You can believe what the hell you like, it's of no consequence to me either way.