Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media O2 to Upgrade Existing UK Network with Full Fibre

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

VM ‘Stream’ new free streaming box for BB only customers

Old 26-10-2021, 14:14   #1
geogadget
cf.member

geogadget is an unknown quantity at this point
VM ‘Stream’ new free streaming box for BB only customers

Strangely I haven’t read anything about this anywhere, but yesterday I received an email from VM offering me a free ‘Stream’ box. See below.

Its only for BB only customers, presumably to try and entice them to go for paid services. It says it offers 40 ‘free’ channels, which presumably is similar to Freeview and a handful of free paid Streaming services. Seemingly no Amazon, Disney or Discovery, but maybe they will be offered at a later date.

Is this new or old hat….?

Patrick
North Worcestershire
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D25A66B8-B6DB-46E9-B0CE-B9579FFD6A47.jpeg (263.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpeg A3F1B07D-1AF2-4235-9AA2-F2604E8232CB.jpeg (267.2 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by geogadget; 26-10-2021 at 14:29.
geogadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-10-2021, 14:18   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: VM ‘Stream’ new free streaming box for BB only customers

I would remove that live link asap as it's personal to you and your Virgin Media account
Old 26-10-2021, 14:30   #3
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

I guess if they are offering then the NDA for those testing it should be over now hahaha

I have this box. Tested it and it was ok but pretty pointless for me. There are apps you can add Netflix for one. I would have to update mine to see what else
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 14:40   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogadget View Post
Is this new or old hat….?
It's been known about for a while -

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...t-service.html
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...-for-free.html
Old 26-10-2021, 14:48   #5
psul
cf.member

psul is on a distinguished roadpsul is on a distinguished road

I've just received one and I am concerned that virgin may have recontracted my broadband. I am 10 months into an 18 month discounted deal but now I have been sent a new contract adding the stream box. The contract says 18 months broadband and 30 days tv. I have spoken to 2 people in virgin retentions who say they don't "think" my minimum term has changed but if I can't get a definitive answer it's getting returned during the cooling off period.
On the plus side the box runs smoothly with good picture quality, quick channel changes plus you can use the TV Go app alongside it.
psul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 14:58   #6
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by psul View Post
I've just received one and I am concerned that virgin may have recontracted my broadband. I am 10 months into an 18 month discounted deal but now I have been sent a new contract adding the stream box. The contract says 18 months broadband and 30 days tv. I have spoken to 2 people in virgin retentions who say they don't "think" my minimum term has changed but if I can't get a definitive answer it's getting returned during the cooling off period.
On the plus side the box runs smoothly with good picture quality, quick channel changes plus you can use the TV Go app alongside it.
On your account page click on the contract and see what is says. They made a mistake on mine in Feb by actually not adding a new contract when they were meant too hahahaha I did not tell them
Old 26-10-2021, 15:03   #7
psul
cf.member

The only end date on the contract is a month from now which would relate to the TV. At the top it says TV 30 days, Broadband 18 months.
Old 27-10-2021, 19:54   #8
psul
cf.member

So yes, despite the email saying no catches or long contracts, I've definitely been recontracted for 18 months for broadband (the TV part is 30 days). Spent most of the afternoon speaking to different people and it seems it's going to be sorted, been promised a call back tomorrow.
Anyone else thinking of taking the offer beware.
Old 27-10-2021, 20:06   #9
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

So what channels does it actually provide ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2021, 23:52   #10
geogadget
cf.member

geogadget is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
So what channels does it actually provide ?
I would like to know too…
geogadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2021, 00:05   #11
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

My box has not been plugged in for ages but most of the free to air channels on Virgin are there by default and then you can add the same packages as you can normally as far as I am aware
Old 28-10-2021, 00:21   #12
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I was after an actual definitive list.

I dont know what the "free to air channels on Virgin" are.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2021, 10:41   #13
psul
cf.member

I can't find a definitive list anywhere but it seems to mirror a slimmed down version of the main packages but with no charge for the base pack. Useful for me since Bilsdale burnt down and the temporary replacement mast doesn't cover my town!
The base channels on virgin are essentially freeview except that you pay for them!
Old 28-10-2021, 10:56   #14
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Reading the prices for the add on channels it hardly seems much of a rival to Now TV

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...und-the-corner
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote