Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Star Trek: Discovery

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television

Star Trek: Discovery

Old 28-07-2020, 13:51   #361
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I am not that old
You don't have to be that old to watch what is still a very fine series.
Old 28-07-2020, 13:55   #362
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I am not that old
Nor am I

I’ve only seen TOS because it was repeated endlessly on BBC2 throughout the 1980s. These days however it’s all on Netflix. Go on, knock yourself out.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 21:15   #363
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal

I've seen all of Star Trek twice, and I'm only 30. Age means nothing. Although I didn't think too highly of TOS.
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 21:18   #364
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I have seen TNG, DS9 and Voyager tonnes of times and love watching them over and over again. I love all the movies as well and gladly rewatch them. TOS has never appealed to me though and as iconic as the characters are, some of the sets, acting and special effects make me cringe. I have caught the odd episode but I don't think I could bring myself to watch the whole series.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 21:50   #365
cimt

I don't blame you there. I watch it as part of the experience. It is certainly overrated IMO, although there is some episodes that are worth a watch. Space Seed being one of them.
Old 28-07-2020, 22:21   #366
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimt View Post
I don't blame you there. I watch it as part of the experience. It is certainly overrated IMO, although there is some episodes that are worth a watch. Space Seed being one of them.
Has to be The Trouble With Tribbles, and the way they tied it in to DS9.
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 22:34   #367
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
In which respects do you consider it overrated?
Old 28-07-2020, 23:47   #368
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

There are only three episodes I can remember and they are the tribbles, the one where they encounter the romulans for the first time in a fuzzy triangular ship and one where they have to go down to a planet to help people who are mysteriously dying. I think it was something to do with a mining operation and animals being released from subterranean caverns. They looked like slugs with a volcanic rock outer shell.
Old 29-07-2020, 08:43   #369
cimt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
In which respects do you consider it overrated?
People always go on about acting, stories and all that saying how amazing it is. It could be an age thing but I just can't get into it.
Old 29-07-2020, 08:54   #370
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
People always go on about acting, stories and all that saying how amazing it is. It could be an age thing but I just can't get into it.
It was of its time, and was advanced (for its time) in a number of ways.

However, to someone not of that time, it can appear stilted and quite quaint (because so many of the things it was "first" on, have been done so many times since).

It’s like (imho) the love of a classic car - you either love it, with all its faults/quirks/outdated technology, or you think "what’s all the fuss about?".
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 29-07-2020 at 09:08.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 10:52   #371
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
As Hugh said.

You really have to see it in its own context. Nothing made in the mid 1960s is going to stand up to today’s standards. The best tv series today are technically better in many respects than what was made for cinema only a few years ago.

The original Star Trek series took a basic sci fi idea that has been done repeatedly in American film and tv but treated it in a radically new way. It made extremely bold cultural moves by putting a black woman in the regular cast, a Russian in charge of the ship’s operations and an angry southern racist in the sick bay who treats Uhura with equanimity and whose regular jibes aimed at his green blooded, pointy eared superior officer are always ineffective and increasingly ridiculous. It did this week in, week out, rarely treating it as a spectacle or making any of it the main subject of discourse. This is simply the future as Roddenberry saw it. His storytelling instead focused on issues like the rise of Nazism (Patterns of Force), the cold horror of submarine warfare (Balance of Terror, which also had a clever and important message against the othering of one’s enemy), and the sheer absurdity of slavery (The Gamesters of Triskelion).

If you want your tv to do your thinking for you then any old show will be difficult viewing, but if you can make the leap to treating classic shows as cultural artefacts and viewing them for what they were when they were made, then stuff like Star Trek is time well spent.

I’d venture to suggest that 50 years from now, TOS will still have a towering reputation, whereas Discovery, despite its state of the art production, will be a mere footnote ...

Last edited by Chris; 29-07-2020 at 11:01.
Old 29-07-2020, 11:11   #372
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Discovery, despite its state of the art production, will be a mere footnote ...
I think that has already happened now that Picard has been released
Old 10-09-2020, 00:10   #373
General Maximus
Ran Away

This is the only source I can find atm. The new season 3 trailer starts at 38 seconds but I think I have linked the thumbnail to it takes you to the right place. Fingers crossed

Click the link below if you want to go straight to the trailler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=TASfgIN4ZXA
Old 10-09-2020, 09:53   #374
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I gad a link to the trailer but cos got it blocked

I'm sensing s very different tone and feel in this trailer compared to the last one
Old 12-10-2020, 16:24   #375
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Teaser from Discovery Season 3 - skip to 1:35 to miss the ComicCon chatter.

If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote