Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus (OLD)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus (OLD)
Closed Thread

Old 13-05-2020, 01:08   #3286
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Coronavirus

This is a coronavirus topic, not economics, start your own topic if you want to fight over money.

Baby, I was born this way.
Advertisement
Old 13-05-2020, 09:27   #3287
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Good news, cleaners and nannies can return to work at ones mansion. (But your own family members can't visit you). This is a relief to us all, well those that can afford these things of course. The Ministers households come first ! Now crack on slaving away for us plebs....
Old 13-05-2020, 10:00   #3288
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

"Except for viewers in Scotland"

A phrase that brings terrifying memories of England getting a movie and us getting some garbage.
Old 13-05-2020, 10:03   #3289
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Good news, cleaners and nannies can return to work at ones mansion. (But your own family members can't visit you). This is a relief to us all, well those that can afford these things of course. The Ministers households come first ! Now crack on slaving away for us plebs....
Erm, I’m a pleb, and our cleaner is coming back for 4 hours 1 day a month (we’ll do it the other weeks).

We’ve been paying her £50 a month since lockdown (along with a number of her regular customers) to keep her head above water, and taking her back on part-time allows her to earn money (she normally cleaned with a colleague, but has to do it on her own at the moment).

She does a good job, earns a living, and we are lucky enough to be able to afford to pay her - your reverse snobbery is showing.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 13-05-2020, 10:25   #3290
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Erm, I’m a pleb, and our cleaner is coming back for 4 hours 1 day a month (we’ll do it the other weeks).

We’ve been paying her £50 a month since lockdown (along with a number of her regular customers) to keep her head above water, and taking her back on part-time allows her to earn money (she normally cleaned with a colleague, but has to do it on her own at the moment).

She does a good job, earns a living, and we are lucky enough to be able to afford to pay her - your reverse snobbery is showing.
Don't you think that's a bit of an unnecessary risk for both you and her Hugh? Particularly the if she's doing other houses as well. Keep paying her out of your zillions and do the dusting yourself as you're kindly sole, plus retired/ nothing better to do ?
Old 13-05-2020, 10:45   #3291
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Don't you think that's a bit of an unnecessary risk for both you and her Hugh? Particularly the if she's doing other houses as well. Keep paying her out of your zillions and do the dusting yourself as you're kindly sole, plus retired/ nothing better to do ?

Have you stopped to consider that some people actively want to get back to some degree of normality and going to work is a part of that?

No need for such a patronising comment.
Old 13-05-2020, 10:53   #3292
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Have you stopped to consider that some people actively want to get back to some degree of normality and going to work is a part of that?

I'm afraid 'normal' isn't going possible for a very long time, if at all. People need to come to terms with that and adapt. As for patronising, my comments to Hugh were half in jest as he'll know.
Old 13-05-2020, 11:05   #3293
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I'm afraid 'normal' isn't going possible for a very long time, if at all. People need to come to terms with that and adapt. As for patronising, my comments to Hugh were half in jest as he'll know.
It’s the half not in jest that is offensive.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 13-05-2020, 11:08   #3294
mrmistoffelees

mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Hence, my use of 'degree of normality'
Old 13-05-2020, 11:19   #3295
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
My 77 year old disabled mother uses a cleaner and has done for several years. She can’t clean her house the way she’d like it because of her age and disability.

The cleaner stopped coming when the lockdown was announced but started again a few weeks ago (don’t forget the rules are different here).

The cleaner is VERY conscious about CV, uses loads of bleaches, brings several pairs of rubber gloves and masks and disposes of them after each household (she has 2 others). She makes sure the client is either out when she works or confined to a single room.

Vote #AnyoneButTory

Last edited by Russ; 13-05-2020 at 11:39.
Old 13-05-2020, 11:43   #3296
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

To be honest, I don't think I want to return to the 'normal' of the recent decade.

I've had enough of the soft touch regarding criminal sentencing, police having their hands tied by ridiculous rules that protect the 'rights' of some sectors of the public and their need to hit 'targets' set by big dicks in small offices.

I've had enough of cheap foreign imports and the way we generally moan about the human rights issues in many countries yet willingly buy the crap made there by those who are victims of it.

I'm sick of being told to turn my TV off at night to protect the environment while the people who tell me to do so are flying around the world to attend conferences.

I'm thoroughly fed up to the back teeth of no name celebrities crawling out of the woodwork every day, trying so hard to be human but failing miserably.

I could go on all day . . .
Old 13-05-2020, 11:51   #3297
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post

What the people want is broadly irrelevant in times of crisis. That said, the lockdown and Government measures remain popular. So what a reckless few want has to be weighed against the overwhelming majority and public safety.

@Carth that's a post and a half.
Old 13-05-2020, 12:50   #3298
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
What the people want is broadly irrelevant in times of crisis. That said, the lockdown and Government measures remain popular. So what a reckless few want has to be weighed against the overwhelming majority and public safety.

@Carth that's a post and a half.
The government want people where possible to return to work if they can't work from home and their place of employment is safe (as has always been the case),

A degree of the population will WANT to return to work that could be for financial reasons or mental health reasons etc.

A degree of the population NEED people to return to work. (Example, our oven decided to stop working whilst in the initial lockdown period, had it not been for the lovely people at AO who fitted a new double oven for us less than two days after ordering, then we wouldn't have had an oven for four weeks)

I'm not sure how returning to work if it's safe to do so is 'reckless' ? We have to start taking very small tentative steps towards a 'new normal'

@Carth, agree with JFMan that's a blinder of a post.
Old 13-05-2020, 13:15   #3299
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Have I misunderstood something?

The papers report that 40% of CV deaths ate in care homes.

There are just over 1200 hospitals in the UK and over 15,000 care homes. Where’s the scandal other than the past PPE neglect?

My advice is at your risk.
Old 13-05-2020, 14:15   #3300
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Have I misunderstood something?

The papers report that 40% of CV deaths ate in care homes.

There are just over 1200 hospitals in the UK and over 15,000 care homes. Where’s the scandal other than the past PPE neglect?

The Care Home scandal is just starting to blow up. It seems that one of the number of early mistakes was to transfer COVID-possible patients from hospitals to care homes with minimal mitigation of risk:

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1260462206883450885

Quote:
London doctor continues: “We discharged known, suspected, unknown cases into care homes which were unprepared, with no formal warning that patients were infected, no testing available, no PPE to prevent transmission. We actively seeded this into very population most vulnerable.”
Seems even the Torygraph has had enough:

Care homes' soaring death rate blamed on 'reckless' order to take back Covid-19 patients

Quote:
A Government diktat that NHS hospitals should move hundreds of elderly patients to care homes has been branded “reckless” and blamed for the homes’ soaring coronavirus death rates.

In two damning policy documents published on 19 March and 2 April, officials told NHS hospitals to transfer any patients who no longer required hospital level treatment, and set out a blueprint for care homes to accept patients with Covid-19 or who had not even been tested.

Analysis by the Telegraph suggests that the rate of coronavirus deaths accelerated more than twice as fast in care homes than in hospitals in the week beginning 7 April - two and a half weeks after the first policy document was published.