Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Contactless cards and the future of cash

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Contactless cards and the future of cash

Old 10-03-2021, 11:48   #76
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Contactless cards and the future of cash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I carry a load of cash because it's been there for the past year.
We had a family city break in Chester last October before things started locking down again. I got £100 out of an ATM in the city centre for kids' pocket money and whatever, but then almost everything we did all week was paid by card and I've barely left the house since we got back home. I still have £90 worth of pristine polymer Bank of England notes in my wallet.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2021, 11:49   #77
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

My village butcher won't accept cards on orders less than £8. He's the only one.
Old 10-03-2021, 12:10   #78
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
We had a family city break in Chester last October before things started locking down again. I got £100 out of an ATM in the city centre for kids' pocket money and whatever, but then almost everything we did all week was paid by card and I've barely left the house since we got back home. I still have £90 worth of pristine polymer Bank of England notes in my wallet.
Are ye Scottish

Last edited by Chris; 10-03-2021 at 12:23.
papa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 15:06   #79
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
My village butcher won't accept cards on orders less than £8. He's the only one.
Our village shop will only accept cards for greater than £5.0
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 15:23   #80
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
I hope it's not the village shop I use! Last time was there, cards were no problem.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 23:50   #81
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
I don't know why shops impose minimum payments for card payments. Shops pay a %, usually based on turnover, so it doesn't matter if one customer spends £100 on their card or 100 spend £1 on their cards.

In days gone by it could be argued that it takes up too much time to process piddly little bits at the till, leading to queues, but these days with contactless it's probably quicker than a cash customer as they don't need to check the note under UV light, check & give out change etc.

All minimum payments do is irritate customers, which can lead to lost sales.

Perhaps there's evidence that supports the view that imposing a minimum charge increases average customer spend??
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 05:00   #82
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I hope it's not the village shop I use! Last time was there, cards were no problem.
Yes it is the village shop that you are thinking of, I have not been to that shop for some years and the may have changed their policy.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 07:10   #83
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I don't know why shops impose minimum payments for card payments. Shops pay a %, usually based on turnover, so it doesn't matter if one customer spends £100 on their card or 100 spend £1 on their cards.
Although that's true now, it is the case that the fees used to be per transaction, so it's possible that some retailer agreements are still based on that.
Quote:
Perhaps there's evidence that supports the view that imposing a minimum charge increases average customer spend??
I always thought it was a combination of the per-transaction fee (same reason why Amex acceptance is so spotty due to their higher fees), and the floor limit for cards that trigger a 'full auth' transaction, rather than an offline one.

Now that pretty much all card machines are always connected then the full auth thing is less of a problem but again that may depend on the setup.

As a related observation, my local pharmacy is still cash only (or was when I went last year). So I generally end up using others.
Old 11-03-2021, 15:20   #84
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I guess it goes both ways then, as the policy will make some spend more, but put other customers off.
Old 12-03-2021, 14:26   #85
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45rpm View Post
Perhaps you could help me (us?) understand and list even one thing that you have purchased that you would want to keep private. In other words, what is it that you buy that would embarrass you if the authorities knew?

As for controlling your spend - I am totally lost.

Sure, if you're dealing in dodgy cat-converters, I can understand your point. Otherwise, please explain. Thanks.
Once cashless it becomes possible for someone "in control" to prevent you buying or selling. They could monitor what you buy and sell, where you do it.

Again it's not the powers now that would be a concern but what a future regime could do if the tools and mechanisms are in place.
Old 12-03-2021, 15:15   #86
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Once cashless it becomes possible for someone "in control" to prevent you buying or selling. They could monitor what you buy and sell, where you do it.

Again it's not the powers now that would be a concern but what a future regime could do if the tools and mechanisms are in place.
But they can do this already. It is functionally impossible for you to maintain a normal, 21st century British lifestyle while spending only cash. You have to interact with the financial system, and someone 'in control' and with malign intent could already make that very difficult for you.

Cash is in reality now only used for small purchases and there is little more an oppressive regime can do to you by interfering with that, than it could already do by interfering with the systems by which you pay for transport, housing, insurance and utilities.
Old 12-03-2021, 15:31   #87
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
But they can do this already. It is functionally impossible for you to maintain a normal, 21st century British lifestyle while spending only cash. You have to interact with the financial system, and someone 'in control' and with malign intent could already make that very difficult for you.

Cash is in reality now only used for small purchases and there is little more an oppressive regime can do to you by interfering with that, than it could already do by interfering with the systems by which you pay for transport, housing, insurance and utilities.
True but with cash it is possible to "go underground" and use cash. You could even sell stuff to get cash to buy other stuff. Without cash that becomes a whole lot more difficult.
With cash "dishonest" traders could accept cash at a premium because they can use cash too.
Old 12-03-2021, 16:15   #88
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
True but with cash it is possible to "go underground" and use cash. You could even sell stuff to get cash to buy other stuff. Without cash that becomes a whole lot more difficult.
With cash "dishonest" traders could accept cash at a premium because they can use cash too.
Perhaps, but you’re now so far down the rabbit hole you’re describing a dystopian fantasy, very far removed from anywhere we could plausibly find ourselves in the foreseeable future. If you think that future is plausible enough that you need to argue for measures to help you cope with it there are other things you also ought to be doing, like digging a massive bunker under your house and filling it with long-life rations.

The reality is that when a domestic money system fails, or doesn’t enjoy the confidence of the people, the people find other tokens of exchange. Hence the widespread use of the US Dollar in 1990s Russia. I believe cartons of cigarettes were quite popular currency too.
Old 12-03-2021, 16:24   #89
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Perhaps, but you’re now so far down the rabbit hole you’re describing a dystopian fantasy, very far removed from anywhere we could plausibly find ourselves in the foreseeable future. If you think that future is plausible enough that you need to argue for measures to help you cope with it there are other things you also ought to be doing, like digging a massive bunker under your house and filling it with long-life rations.

The reality is that when a domestic money system fails, or doesn’t enjoy the confidence of the people, the people find other tokens of exchange. Hence the widespread use of the US Dollar in 1990s Russia. I believe cartons of cigarettes were quite popular currency too.
Yes, if/when cash is made obsolete, i'm sure that something else will be used as currency, particularly by the criminal underworld.

It's already happened with online currency by the use of cryptocurrency.
Old 12-03-2021, 16:32   #90
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Cryptocurrency is a way of doing it, but let’s not forget that gold and other precious commodities are also a universally accepted store of value. There will never be a shortage of ways to pay for something that a government can’t track - none of which need seriously concern us here. The barrier to our financial system isn’t caused by our government, nor is it ever likely to be. It is the increasing use of technology and remote customer service that makes it harder for those who have difficulty engaging with such things, for whatever reason. Cash in some form is therefore unlikely to disappear any time soon.