Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 14-03-2008, 15:45   #1216
ceedee
cf.geek

Services: 100Mb VM Broadband
ceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Good Post
Thanks for your kind words, Sirius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_baby_jebus View Post
I wouldn't use BT as your ISP though.. they're up to their necks in this scam as well...
Wouldn't even think about it, mate.
That's why I wrote: "I'll be ... getting a BT phone line installed to enable ADSL2+"

Luckily for me, I have a choice of ADSL2+ providers (at ~7Mbps according to SamKnows Mapping) amongst Be Unlimited, O2, UK Online and Sky Max.
Advertisement
Old 14-03-2008, 16:08   #1217
Kellargh
Inactive

Services: BT internet, TalkTalk telephone, Sky HD.
Kellargh is just really niceKellargh is just really niceKellargh is just really niceKellargh is just really niceKellargh is just really niceKellargh is just really nice

If BT make this a non-optional service, is there any way I can get out of a contract with them?
Old 14-03-2008, 16:23   #1218
ceedee
cf.geek

Services: 100Mb VM Broadband
ceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellargh View Post
If BT make this a non-optional service, is there any way I can get out of a contract with them?
I suspect your query would be better answered in the BT Community Forums than here. But we'll be rooting for you!

(More relevantly as you're 'inside the machine', how can we lobby the plonkers upstairs to make sure they realise how pis^u^u^u disappointed we are with their handling of the Phorm/WebWise issue?)
Old 14-03-2008, 16:27   #1219
OF1975
Inactive

OF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enough

A new short piece from the register regarding AVG, Trend Micro, Webroots classification of phorm etc:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03...lassification/
Old 14-03-2008, 16:50   #1220
none
Inactive

none is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellargh View Post
When it goes live there will have to be a significant change to BT's T&C's. Once this occurs it will provide a means of severing your contract without penalty.
Old 14-03-2008, 20:51   #1221
hOrZa
Inactive

hOrZa is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
Does this mean that when I roam onto the Orange UK network when I visit the UK I need to opt in or out? How does that work.
You can only get onto OrangeWorld with a Orange SIM

hth
Old 14-03-2008, 21:07   #1222
piggy
Inactive

piggy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hOrZa View Post
You can only get onto OrangeWorld with a Orange SIM

hth
utter rubbish!! if you land in the uk with a foriegn sim you get texts asking you to use there service you do not need a orange sim to use orangeworld
Old 14-03-2008, 21:16   #1223
hOrZa
Inactive

hOrZa is an unknown quantity at this point

Other UK sims don't work on orangeworld, certain services from abroad may have arranged roaming rights but not all
Old 14-03-2008, 21:26   #1224
chris9991
Inactive

chris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant future

I found this article quite informative http://www.economist.com/printeditio...ry_id=10789393

Though the article talks about what is happening in the USA it does suggest that similar thing will be used in Europe. The way I see it, the only reason someone like Virgin Media have been talking to Phorm is due the requirement to tap all web use. With the deal the ISP doesn't have to pay to host the equipment and yet will be able comply with the law and monitor all use. Revenue raised from the advertising would be a 'bonus'

It would also seem to imply that ALL ISPs would be required to have monitors so regardless of where people defect to, they are likely to be monitored.

One thought springs to mind however. The article refers to Skype and how packets are encrypted. Would it be practical to use Skype as pseudo dial up, rather than send voice over it data. I don't know what performance would be like, but just a thought
Old 14-03-2008, 23:43   #1225
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 12 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris9991 View Post
Though the article talks about what is happening in the USA it does suggest that similar thing will be used in Europe. The way I see it, the only reason someone like Virgin Media have been talking to Phorm is due the requirement to tap all web use. With the deal the ISP doesn't have to pay to host the equipment and yet will be able comply with the law and monitor all use.
No. Unless the EU and our government completely lose what little sense they have, the only ways in which this could be legal are a) after the granting of a warrant/court order (which is allowed for in the DPA, but even then there must be just cause, i.e. reason to suspect you are or may be committing criminal acts - not merely because some gort wants to deluge you with targeted ads!), or b) if the current laws are changed. My scepticism re this government and the EU notwithstanding, I really can't see that happening. Certainly in this country some serious questions would be asked in the House, which I imagine the PM is woefully ill-equipped to answer. In fact, any such change would have to conform to EU legislation as well.

Besides, Virgin won't be paying to host the equipment - Phorm will be paying them to do it, that's the whole point. Except for the (hopefully large) number of broadband subscribers they're going to lose, Virgin's costs will be minimal - unless one or more subscribers sue them as a result of data security leaks and subsequent financial or other damage to them.
Quote:
It would also seem to imply that ALL ISPs would be required to have monitors so regardless of where people defect to, they are likely to be monitored.
How do you mean, "required"? In order to make this work at all, that might be true - but in the legal framework of RIPA, the DPA and several other pieces of legislation, the ISPs can only be 'required' to perform such monitoring if ordered to do so by the Police or HMG. If you reread Rob's form letter (and hey, Rob: have you had any reply yet?), one key point which I don't think has been mentioned for a while is that before all this started, Virgin's T & Cs stated that they would not perform any such monitoring...and that particular clause has disappeared. If this is legal as Phorm allege, one has to wonder why Virgin felt they had to make such a change.
Quote:
One thought springs to mind however. The article refers to Skype and how packets are encrypted. Would it be practical to use Skype as pseudo dial up, rather than send voice over it data. I don't know what performance would be like, but just a thought
I'm not techie enough to say yea or nay to that, but I suspect it either wouldn't be practical or it simply wouldn't work. Besides, why the hell should we be expected to encrypt all our traffic if all we're doing is looking something up on Wikipedia or just idly browsing Amazon? Let's get something straight: it is none of Virgin's business, nor that of Phorm, nor, in fact, of ANYONE ON THIS FREAKIN' PLANET, what websites I browse or who I email or what I buy online!
Old 15-03-2008, 00:43   #1226
Traduk
Inactive

Traduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of Quads

That article is not worth the time and trouble of reading.

The UK telephone network changed to a packet switching digital network around a decade ago. The article is comparing the non existent long since redundant analogue network with packet switching internet networks which are highly comparable with modern telephony methods.

There are legal requirements to intercept telephony communications and IMO the exact same requirements should apply to internet packets whatever the use.
Old 15-03-2008, 01:04   #1227
thebarron
Inactive

Services: VM 10mb, phone
thebarron is on a distinguished roadthebarron is on a distinguished road

Hi, I've been following the debate with interest on here and other forums and thought I would give my two penniesworth.

I (part time) develop bespoke Web applications and test these on several flavours of browsers IE, Opera, Firefox - and I certainly would want to opt-out. So then with the currently proposed opt-out approach I would have to opt-out in all browsers on all machines, sounds like fun.

Also I do not see it being a big problem as a developer, to put a bit of script on a website that was using this 'Spyware' to marry up the 'Random (ish) number of the Phorm cookie and the IP address and header info of the browser requesting the page. So unless they have come up with a new way of communication over the Internet it does not seem too anonymous to me.

Default opt out which bypasses the Phorm system is the only civilised thing for any ISP to do. I just hope they do that.

Life is too short and there are far more interesting things to be doing. Fighting corperate EGO's and greed is not one of them.
Old 15-03-2008, 12:06   #1228
dav
Inactive

dav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of light

This thread has just been shown on the BBC's "Click!"
TradUK is famous lol.

Anyway keep up the good work everyone. No Surrender!
Old 15-03-2008, 12:11   #1229
TehTech
Permanently Banned

TehTech is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav View Post
This thread has just been shown on the BBC's "Click!"
TradUK is famous lol.

Anyway keep up the good work everyone. No Surrender!
This is indeed good news for the customers of BT & VM!

Will there be a repeat of it or a webshow of it anytime in the future as I would be really interested to watch / listen to it!

This is what we need, more publicity on what is going on / intended to go on if PHORM get their way, and must be stopped dead!

More people have to know & protest at this or we will wont win the war against PHORM!
Old 15-03-2008, 12:46   #1230
Griffin
Inactive

Griffin is an unknown quantity at this point

With any luck Phorm's ip addresses & all there severs will be added to the blocklists in peerguardian & protowall, then if everyone uses these ip blockers it will surely render Phorm's system entirely useless
Closed Thread