Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 14:34   #8701
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

hmm, conflicting ICO statements are starting to appear it seems!

http://www.infosecurity-magazine.com...rmProtest.html
"The test is being closely watched by the ICO (Information Commissioners Office.)

"We believe that it is only by allowing their technology to be subject to detailed scrutiny by independent technical experts that they will be able to prove their assertions regarding privacy," commented a spokesperson for the ICO.
"
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2008, 14:49   #8702
dav
Inactive

dav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
hmm, conflicting ICO statements are starting to appear it seems!

http://www.infosecurity-magazine.com...rmProtest.html
"The test is being closely watched by the ICO (Information Commissioners Office.)

"We believe that it is only by allowing their technology to be subject to detailed scrutiny by independent technical experts that they will be able to prove their assertions regarding privacy," commented a spokesperson for the ICO.
"
That article is slightly inaccurate as it says "opt-out" when, as you all know, the ICO has said specifically that it must be "opt-in".
Old 12-06-2008, 14:56   #8703
thebarron
Inactive

Services: VM 10mb, phone
thebarron is on a distinguished roadthebarron is on a distinguished road

Down to 900 now and a big sell

http://www.iii.co.uk/investment/deta...&timeframe=480
Old 12-06-2008, 14:56   #8704
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

im more interested in why the spokesperson for the ICO said that quote, im assuming at least that part is word accurate!

and the "be able to prove their assertions" now its they BT/Phorm need to prove they are telling the truth...

they have had independent technical experts look at it and say its unlawful, yet i assume another seperate ICO spokesman says they will take no action [at this time]....

[]the classic get out clause later.
Old 12-06-2008, 15:41   #8705
BadPhormula
cf.addict

BadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones View Post
Google showing Phorm at 975p - it looks like the dry rot in the £10 floor just gave way. Someone just sold £8K at 975p.
!ROFL!

Phormscum shares at 900 pennies now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Arrowmaker on iii
From a srictly mathematical point of view, Phorm has about 50 trading days left before it becomes a 'Penny Share' - based upon losing over 2% per trading day.

However, it should do well in this market as Phorm already demonstrates key characteristics common in this market - no SMART Targets, no cash flow, no profits, but it does have brilliant blue sky thinking. Perfick!
---------- Post added at 15:41 ---------- Previous post was at 15:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
...BTW its getting so expensive to invest in infrastructure these days isn't it?

I'll probably use that money to invest in a new 10 GBit fibre optic ethernet network for my house.

Pete
The Relakks guy has 10Gbit into his bedroom at home (that's 10 x 1Gb fibres -- greedy sod) whereas your typical UK homestead has 8Mbps download 440Kbps upload and most people never get anywhere near that speed. And guess what over in Sweden as well as having fast DSL (not super slow UK ADSL) the Sweds wouldn't put up with sh~t like Phormscum proposing to tap into their personal private communications.

4.2 million CCTV cameras at a cost of £500 million, wiretapping by BT and the ICO/Police/Homeoffice put Nelsons patch on the good eye??? So what the hell is going on in the UK? Has someone read the 1984 book and thought "GREAT! a template"
Old 12-06-2008, 15:42   #8706
icsys
Inactive

Services: Virgin - BB,TV,Phone Sky box - with no sub Freeview - idtv
icsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really nice

Quote:
im more interested in why the spokesperson for the ICO said that quote, im assuming at least that part is word accurate!

and the "be able to prove their assertions" now its they BT/Phorm need to prove they are telling the truth...

they have had independent technical experts look at it and say its unlawful, yet i assume another seperate ICO spokesman says they will take no action [at this time]....

[]the classic get out clause later.
It's always "a spokesperson said this" and "a spokesperson said that"!

What's the matter with them, are they ashamed to give their names?
Or perhaps they're afraid to be personally associated to the comments when they are eventuall proven to be crap?

See.. i'm actually starting to get very agitated by all this now.

The only name gleaned form the dozens of press releases is a Phorm spokesman, Alex Laity, who said...

"We are confident that we are fully compliant with all relevant laws," he said. "We did go to the ICO before launch, we did go to the Home Office before launch, we did do due diligence to make sure what we did is fully compliant with the law."

@BT
You keep spouting "BT sought expert legal advice before commencing the trial."
Well, how about disclosing who these 'experts' were? and disclosing the advice you were given?
Old 12-06-2008, 15:58   #8707
BadPhormula
cf.addict

BadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdadyslexia View Post
Nop it's the Vulchers circling overhead.

[Edit] Click on the Attached Thumbnail for a laugh.
I clicked on it but didn't see anything aside from a background change?!?

---------- Post added at 15:58 ---------- Previous post was at 15:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by davethejag View Post
Hi, just heard this, part to do with loss of our personal freedom.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7450627.stm

Dave.
Wow ph~cking Wow! That is big news! Amazing! Someone does have principles!

I'm utterly stunned.

Maybe David Davis should replace the ICO and that other Davis. It's about time someone had the guts to confront this insidious piece by piece dismantelling of privacy and personal freedom by a handful of scumbags with an agenda. Wake up citizens your forefathers died to get King John to sign the Magna Charta. That's nearly a thousand years of struggle by ordinary people to become free just to be crapped upon by the likes of K~nt Ertugrul and his gang of criminals taking the p!ss with technology.
Old 12-06-2008, 16:25   #8708
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:

"
That single phrase enrages me every single time I read it. Why? Let me paraphrase...

"Although we are supposed to be an independent regulator, and should be conducting an independent analysis of Phorm... we're quite prepared to sit on our thumbs and let the public do our work for us because we're too damn lazy to conduct a technical inquiry for ourselves. And when independent technologists present concerns to us? We'll ignore them because we'd far rather take the free lunches, and champagne we get from Phorm and BT."

Sorry. Had to get that off my chest. Richard Thomas, resign now, your organisation is a complete waste of taxpayers money. Every single function ICO perform could be achieved with an identical chocolate fireguard.

Old 12-06-2008, 16:38   #8709
BadPhormula
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privacy_Matters View Post
I like the quote below:

"And exposing our personal Data to careless Civil Servants, and Criminal Hackers."

It would be very interesting to see what his opinion in regards of Phorm is, and whether or not this is part of the reason he resigned.
Yes that was his reference to criminal hackers, David Davis was refering to BT/Phorm. Now we know why Phorm shares have dropped! Someone with an important position (shadow home secretary) has finally made a stand. It has been a wake up call to the British people, David Davis has had enough of the stealth takeover by "the system" and the ineffectual bureaucrats supposedly protecting our privacy and freedom (by capitulation).

Can you imagine someone with integrity like Shami Chakrabarti (director of Liberty) doing the same as what Simon Davies and Richard Thomas has done with Phorm? Can you?
Old 12-06-2008, 16:48   #8710
SimonHickling
Inactive

SimonHickling is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just had an e-mail from my MPs office regarding the copies of e-mails to BT she's been receiving, regarding my contempt for them wanting to profile my site.

The office manager has replied on her behalf stating that "she will understand them as little as I do" and asking if there's anything she can do.

I have replied pointing out that if they find it hard to follow, what percentage of the general population can be expected to give informed consent as required by the Home Office.

My MPs e-mail address is also a btinternet.com address so I pointed out that she may end up having all her browing intercepted and profiled.

Lastly I asked to find out who should be investigating the system itself and the previous trials pointing out that ICO, HO, OFCOM and the police have been steadfastly refusing to do anything.

Here's hoping. Unfortunately I missed the shadow Home Secretary resigning until after I'd sent the mail.
Old 12-06-2008, 16:49   #8711
icsys
Inactive

Services: Virgin - BB,TV,Phone Sky box - with no sub Freeview - idtv
icsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really nice

Phorm shares close at...

Perhaps someone could ask David Davis what he is doing on July 16th?
Old 12-06-2008, 17:02   #8712
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by icsys View Post
Phorm shares close at...

When they reach 666, Kent will vanish in a puff of smoke. There will be a distant sound of beating wings and a hawk-like squark as he returns to ...

... Delaware innit?
Old 12-06-2008, 17:04   #8713
Privacy_Matters
Inactive

Privacy_Matters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Well, how about disclosing who these 'experts' were? and disclosing the advice you were given?
Dewey, Cheatham and Howe, and advice given: "Least its better than Rootkits".

@BT, How can you tell when a lawyer is lying? See if his lips are moving.
Old 12-06-2008, 17:05   #8714
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Looks like Phorm closed below £10 - google says £9.50 and closed.
About £200K sold today
Old 12-06-2008, 17:37   #8715
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Phorm shares close at...

Perhaps someone could ask David Davis what he is doing on July 16th?
Already done by email and phone I will update once I have more info.

Alexander Hanff
Closed Thread