Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How to connect 2 laptops to USB wireless mobile broadband

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

How to connect 2 laptops to USB wireless mobile broadband

Old 12-03-2008, 09:02   #1
Wintie
Inactive

Wintie is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool How to connect 2 laptops to USB wireless mobile broadband

I have a Sierra 595U USB modem connected to my laptop. Internet access is working fine. I set up an ADHOC Wifi link from another laptop. I now want the other laptop(client) to access Internet thru the USB modem that is connected to the host laptop.

I set up ICS and got FTP to work fine but IE7 just gives the common "website not found/cannot connect" message.

I tried the microsoft forum. They are out of steam. I tried Telecom network experts, no go, so I hope you guys can kick some ass. To see what microsoft said you are welcome to visit http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...d-c56105703f5f

This way we won't need to reinvent the wheel.
Anyone out there looking for a challenge?
Kind regards,
Wintie.
Wintie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2008, 09:15   #2
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age
Re: How to connect 2 laptops to USB wireless mobile broadband

I don't mean to sound patronising but...

After reading the Article(s) on the MS Newsgroups, there's one suggestion that wasn't tried...

How about using the Windows Network Wizard in XP? this will ask you questions about how you connect to the internet and local network and then will set up the HOST accordingly. You can then create a network setup Floppy to just put in and run on the CLIENT that will set it up correctly.

There is no theoretical reason why it cannot be shared, as even USB ADSL modems can be shared (ive done it myself).
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:33   #3
Wintie
Inactive

I hope I don't sound discouraging, but I must have done that at least a dozen times. What some guy said to me is that the modem needs to be NAT enabled. I don't know if it is. He recons that it may work if I use a USB Network Hub. It will be my next option unless I can get some more answers here. Your quick response is highly appreciated and I look forward to try any ideas.
Ps. Keep in mind that this is a wireless mobile broadband (3G) modem. Apparently it must have the ability to handle 2 IP's for each laptop to be able to talk to it simultaneously. I don't know if it can. Still waiting for answers from Telecom on that.
Kind regards.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:06   #4
keithwalton
Inactive

keithwalton has reached the bronze age
keithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze age

Something that springs to mind to me, what anti-virus / firewall packages are you running ? are they configured to allow the connections ?

Just a thought as the inability to ping sounds like something is actively blocking it and that the network is being created fine otherwise.

The modem however is irrelevent, its your other laptop that is doing all the NAT, and assigning ip's.
All data from the slave laptop will pass to the host and then onto the net the slave laptop cannot talk to the modem directly.
keithwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:35   #5
Wintie
Inactive

You really give me hope! I have Trend Micro PCCillin Internet Security 2007 installed. Personal Wireless Network Monitor is OFF. Personal Firewall for Internet seems to be ON. I'll switch it OFF and try again. I guess I should do this on both Host and CLient?

---------- Post added at 01:35 ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 ----------

Well well, now, if you're good, you're good!!! Bob's your uncle, it is WORKING!!!!!!!!!! You're a STAR!!! You will never realise what BIG BREAKTHROUGH this is. I will definately let the "Telecom Experts" know that they can come and learn from you! Thanks a MILLION, and I mean it!

Kind regards,
Wintie.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:53   #6
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintie View Post
I hope I don't sound discouraging, but I must have done that at least a dozen times. What some guy said to me is that the modem needs to be NAT enabled. I don't know if it is. He recons that it may work if I use a USB Network Hub.
With all due respect, that guy appears not to have a clue.

The Internet connection sharing/Network Setup wizard handles NAT if you set up Windows to share a network connection. As for USB network hubs. While such a device is a theoretical possibility, I have never seen one. A standard USB hub (which I have seen) will not handle NAT.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 13:38   #7
Wintie
Inactive

Just for interest sake you can see the USB network hub here: http://www.belkin.com/networkusbhub/

The whole thing didn't make much sense to me either, that's why I didn't buy any extra peripherals yet - and such an obvious issue that everyone overlooked - 3rd party firewall - Unbelievable! Now I am battling to get the firewall to work with this setup so there'll be some sort of security at least.
Old 12-03-2008, 13:47   #8
keithwalton
Inactive

keithwalton has reached the bronze age
keithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze age

I think you need to set network type and then level of security from within the trend control panel, if you set the firewall settings to minimum it should work, then gradually turn up the settings until it stops working then roll it back one.
If you know abit about networks you can go into advanced settings and allow the appropriate protocols / ports through the firewall in the correct direction (and possibly only on the wireless adapter)
keithwalton is offline   Reply With Quote