Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Gigabit lan speeds

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Gigabit lan speeds

Old 10-03-2008, 20:14   #1
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age
Gigabit lan speeds

Just wandered what sort of speeds I should be expecting over 1Gbit/s Lan.

I seem to push around 25 - 40MB/s on a Single transfer over FTP and about 20 -25 MB/s over samba

I suspect I could maybe get a bit more out of it If I was transfering to Different drives on the "server" machine reading from multiple drives on the other machines...

Only 3 of my machines have 1Gbit connectivity anyway.

1) Macbook (when its on the same switch as the Dtop, if its not its limited to either wi-fi or powerline speeds)

2) Desktop (Via PCI card as onboard nic is only a 10/100)

3) "server" Onboard nic on the NF4.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2008, 20:17   #2
xspeedyx

Re: Gigabit lan speeds

doesnt it depend on the overheads or am I way off track here
Old 10-03-2008, 20:17   #3
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Remember at some point you may be maxing out the read-rate from whatever disk you are downloading from.
Old 10-03-2008, 20:20   #4
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
Just wandered what sort of speeds I should be expecting over 1Gbit/s Lan.

I seem to push around 25 - 40MB/s on a Single transfer over FTP and about 20 -25 MB/s over samba

I suspect I could maybe get a bit more out of it If I was transfering to Different drives on the "server" machine reading from multiple drives on the other machines...

Only 3 of my machines have 1Gbit connectivity anyway.

1) Macbook (when its on the same switch as the Dtop, if its not its limited to either wi-fi or powerline speeds)

2) Desktop (Via PCI card as onboard nic is only a 10/100)

3) "server" Onboard nic on the NF4.
Aren't the NF4 Lan cards known to be rather bad at times, due to their built in hardware firewall?

Anywho, which cabling are you using? Ideally for 1GBps speed you should be using Cat6 class, at a stretch, Cat5e. Cat5 just will not do.
40MB/s equates to 320Mbps. So, only a third of your potential. However, how fast can your servers drives actually write? I know manhy standard hard drives top out around 60MB/s. And with a slow processor, maybe 40ish is tops?

Are the drives regularly defragmented? And what are the specs of the "server"?

Lot's of things on this one.

You could even try setting everythings duplex mode to "1Gbps Full Duplex", or half duplex. (Ask, if you don't know how)

What OS's are you using?
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 20:45   #5
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druchii View Post
Aren't the NF4 Lan cards known to be rather bad at times, due to their built in hardware firewall?

Anywho, which cabling are you using? Ideally for 1GBps speed you should be using Cat6 class, at a stretch, Cat5e. Cat5 just will not do.
40MB/s equates to 320Mbps. So, only a third of your potential. However, how fast can your servers drives actually write? I know manhy standard hard drives top out around 60MB/s. And with a slow processor, maybe 40ish is tops?

Are the drives regularly defragmented? And what are the specs of the "server"?

Lot's of things on this one.

You could even try setting everythings duplex mode to "1Gbps Full Duplex", or half duplex. (Ask, if you don't know how)

What OS's are you using?
I figured it would be topping out the drives probably.

"Server" is actually an old desktop running Ubuntu 7.10 server
3800+ x2
1gb ram (2x 512mb)
74gb raptor
80gb raptor
160gb 7200rpm Ide
160gb 7200rpm Sata
200gb 7200rpm Sata
120gb 7200rpm IDE
Abit AN8 motherboard.
Basically it had a large case So I shoved all the HDD's I had left over from PC's being replaced/upgraded in it rather than have them sit around gathering dust.

I was writing to one of the 7200RPM drives...

Re: NF4 hardware firewall, AFAIK its only active if you load the Nforce drivers with active armor in (And im not even sure its in the latest ones anyway) It definatly shouldn't be active under Linux.

Dtop is running Vista x64... I was more interested to know if the speeds are in-line with what others using Gbit lan are getting.

Cables are Cat5e but then again most of them are very short runs (under 2 Metres the "server" is under the desk and the pc is next to it pretty much... apart from a couple 8 Metre cables that go around the room to the other side (although there nothing on the other end of them atm)
Old 10-03-2008, 22:05   #6
keithwalton
Inactive

keithwalton has reached the bronze age
keithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze age

GBit was never intendid for raw point to point speed, but more being able to handle multiple simultaneous connections over the same lines. That and from programs running in memory linked to the memory on other machines.

There are multiple bottlenecks in your config,

hard drives will be the main one, in single drive mode peak brand new hughe ide / sata ones do 70mb/sec, raid 0 them and that figure nearly doubles.
15k rpm scsi drives do around 100mb/sec.

The way your gbit controller is connected is also usually a bottleneck.
If your using a pci card that has a max b/w of 133mb/sec (just over 1GBit) and this is shared with all other devices connected to the pci bus (usually hard drive controllers in older machines are as well)

Some motherboards connect GBe via the pci or pci-e bus to the southbridge (then north -> south bridge links can be a bottleneck).

The best implementation so far is in intel server (and some desktop boards) called csa, which connects the GBe to the northbridge
keithwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 22:40   #7
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwalton View Post
GBit was never intendid for raw point to point speed, but more being able to handle multiple simultaneous connections over the same lines. That and from programs running in memory linked to the memory on other machines.

There are multiple bottlenecks in your config,

hard drives will be the main one, in single drive mode peak brand new hughe ide / sata ones do 70mb/sec, raid 0 them and that figure nearly doubles.
15k rpm scsi drives do around 100mb/sec.

The way your gbit controller is connected is also usually a bottleneck.
If your using a pci card that has a max b/w of 133mb/sec (just over 1GBit) and this is shared with all other devices connected to the pci bus (usually hard drive controllers in older machines are as well)

Some motherboards connect GBe via the pci or pci-e bus to the southbridge (then north -> south bridge links can be a bottleneck).

The best implementation so far is in intel server (and some desktop boards) called csa, which connects the GBe to the northbridge
Fair enough and I understand that only really put it in because I needed to replace my 10/100 switch and it wasn't much more expensive... Just wanted to know if the speeds I was pushing though it was resonable for off the shelf consumer kit and if they were about on par with what anyone else was getting..

Its quite nice to be able to write to a drive on the storage machine almost as quickly, if not as quickly as if it were a local drive