Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Price rises this year.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Price rises this year.

Old 20-03-2023, 16:01   #451
Peter729
cf.addict

Peter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Price rises this year.

Got my letter this morning I shall be posting off my "price rise" termination letter once my new provider has installed and everything is up and working, just 2 weeks to go now.
Peter729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-03-2023, 10:18   #452
crazyronnie
cf.addict

Services: Virgin 360 1TB x2, Maxit TV, M Phone, Hub 5 @ 350/36Mb
crazyronnie is on a distinguished roadcrazyronnie is on a distinguished road

I had my letter last week saying my price would increase by £15 from 1st of May. I've ordered my new broadband and will be installed on Thursday. After the install i'll call up Virgin to cancel my contract and i'll port my landline number to a VOIP provider
Old 21-03-2023, 10:32   #453
Peter729
cf.addict

Peter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyronnie View Post
I had my letter last week saying my price would increase by £15 from 1st of May. I've ordered my new broadband and will be installed on Thursday. After the install i'll call up Virgin to cancel my contract and i'll port my landline number to a VOIP provider
Ask them to confirm the cancellation by email, I know a couple of people who cancelled, by phone, and it was never actioned, it leaves the person cancelling in a difficult position, hence my written cancellation.
Old 21-03-2023, 10:42   #454
crazyronnie
cf.addict

Services: Virgin 360 1TB x2, Maxit TV, M Phone, Hub 5 @ 350/36Mb
crazyronnie is on a distinguished roadcrazyronnie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter729 View Post
Ask them to confirm the cancellation by email, I know a couple of people who cancelled, by phone, and it was never actioned, it leaves the person cancelling in a difficult position, hence my written cancellation.
I never thought of that, i'll do that. Thank you

If i were to send in a written letter to cancel my contract do you know how long it would take for me to get a confirmation of cancellation request from Virgin?
Old 21-03-2023, 11:16   #455
crossbow1956
cf.member

crossbow1956 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well now the dust has settled on the VM price rise is the customers going to just pay up or get a deal or cancel their account for me i will phone them to cancel see what they say i will tell them if any delaying tactics then i will cancel my dd .
crossbow1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2023, 11:43   #456
Peter729
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyronnie View Post
I never thought of that, i'll do that. Thank you

If i were to send in a written letter to cancel my contract do you know how long it would take for me to get a confirmation of cancellation request from Virgin?
The benefit of the written termination is you send it recorded "signed for" delivery if there is any dispute about your cancellation you have proof that it was sent and the date Virgin signed for it. The written notice removes the burden of proof, from you, to prove that you did cancel the service. In my letter I have included my email address and have requested confirmation of my cancellation!!!!! Dont forget to include your account number etc.

Written termination does take a little more time but I would rather invest that time to avoid a dispute and issue later, I find it odd that if you ever have a dispute the recording of your original conversation is missing, which leaves you with a problem.

Send the letter to
Virgin Media
Sunderland
SR43 4AA
Old 21-03-2023, 16:47   #457
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Oddly, my folks haven't had a price rise notification and their most recent bill covers the period into the first week in May. No sign of an increase.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2023, 18:56   #458
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I have yet to get any sort of notification, my contract expires in August.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2023, 19:21   #459
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Interesting more and more are reporting been notified by letter now, did VM abandon sending the emails? For reference I got my letter over a week ago, maybe even 2 weeks forgot the date, and still no email.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2023, 23:10   #460
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
Interesting more and more are reporting been notified by letter now, did VM abandon sending the emails? For reference I got my letter over a week ago, maybe even 2 weeks forgot the date, and still no email.
They'll only accept letter back too if you're cheeky enough to cancel.
It has to written with a quill on parchment, and personally delivered to a goblin under a bridge in Sunderland but he's not always there and may ignore you... (beware the backstabbing midget if you are foolhardy enough to take this arduous journey...)
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2023, 15:30   #461
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

My letter arrived today, £15 extra a month and no right to cancel from next April.

Even at that price, BT or Sky can't beat them around here.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2023, 11:04   #462
nefu
cf.member

Services: XXL Broadband, XL TV, Tivo, V+, XXL phone, several mobiles!
nefu has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefu View Post
Just had the email, my service will increase from £61 to £76 per month. Called retentions who offered to "rebundle" my services on a new 18 month contract for £82 a month, I declined their kind offer!
Tried again on chat to discuss increase. This time they decreased by existing contract by £12 a month, so when the price rise gets applied (£15) my increase will effectively be only £3. Shows it's worth persevering.
nefu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2023, 14:43   #463
Jacquesb
cf.addict

Services: VM phone , 2xV6 (Full house XL), ViViD200 Optical fibre BB. Stream - Netflix, iPlayer,
Jacquesb is an unknown quantity at this point

I received my letter a week or so ago, warning of a price increase on my package of £21.50 per month. I'm currently paying £85 discounted from £135. The letter does state that "the price increase won't affect you until your current price offer ends". In my case that's 14/6/2023.

I called them last week, the guy did some notional calculations and recommended that I call back after 14th May to seek a new contract - he did suggest that there should/would be better offers available then.

I've probably been with Virgin for 20+ years now, 11 at my current address. I've always found them fair and reasonably priced so I'm happy to wait for a couple of months. The main gripe has been the difficulties in dealing with customer services over the phone, but even that seems better now than it was a few years ago ?
Old 23-03-2023, 17:13   #464
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquesb View Post
I received my letter a week or so ago, warning of a price increase on my package of £21.50 per month. I'm currently paying £85 discounted from £135. The letter does state that "the price increase won't affect you until your current price offer ends". In my case that's 14/6/2023.

I called them last week, the guy did some notional calculations and recommended that I call back after 14th May to seek a new contract - he did suggest that there should/would be better offers available then.

I've probably been with Virgin for 20+ years now, 11 at my current address. I've always found them fair and reasonably priced so I'm happy to wait for a couple of months. The main gripe has been the difficulties in dealing with customer services over the phone, but even that seems better now than it was a few years ago ?
You're in exactly the same position as me with your contract. I too was advised to call back in May - I will, but only to cancel. The price escalator in the new Virgin Terms & Conditions is completely unacceptable and will mean a further 20+% increase next April and every subsequent year.

---------- Post added at 16:13 ---------- Previous post was at 16:10 ----------

https://www.theguardian.com/business...g-unaffordable

The Mail campaign appears to have stalled but The Guardian's picking up the gauntlet of investigating the telco's mid-contract price hikes
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2023, 18:12   #465
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
You're in exactly the same position as me with your contract. I too was advised to call back in May - I will, but only to cancel. The price escalator in the new Virgin Terms & Conditions is completely unacceptable and will mean a further 20+% increase next April and every subsequent year.

---------- Post added at 16:13 ---------- Previous post was at 16:10 ----------

https://www.theguardian.com/business...g-unaffordable

The Mail campaign appears to have stalled but The Guardian's picking up the gauntlet of investigating the telco's mid-contract price hikes
Would have thought it is pointless to worry about this as it is now part of the contract, and therefore nothing can be done. Would be great if it was deemed to be illegal, cant see it though