Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Old 18-07-2019, 09:07   #1306
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The BBC is reported to have worked out how to resolve the latency issues with streaming.
The article I read was more that they had developed a way to greatly improve the situation, I wasn't under the impression that they had resolved it, there would be bigger headlines if it had been resolved.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-07-2019, 09:43   #1307
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
What's an Amazon app on the V6 got to do with the economic viability (or otherwise?) of a streaming platform? An Amazon app on Virgin was literally a 50/50 guess. Unless Virgin start funding it, or Amazon start doing promos for Virgin customers, it's an economic zero net effect.

It's a quick win for Virgin's PR team to say you can watch all the football on a V6 box at Christmas*.

*seperate subscription to Amazon Prime required.

And lose access to up to 11 million set top boxes. I can see why you aren't good at this economics thing.
If I remember correctly, you were arguing that Amazon on the V6 was of no economic benefit to Virgin. A quick win for Virgin? On thet we are agreed.

Virgin can still make a case for having their boxes even without the linear channels.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 09:50   #1308
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
The article I read was more that they had developed a way to greatly improve the situation, I wasn't under the impression that they had resolved it, there would be bigger headlines if it had been resolved.
My friend is a Technical Architect with the BBC - they don’t have a solution (yet).

Here’s the article

https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2018-0...ideo-streaming
Quote:
we can show what is possible in terms of low latency distribution, though it’s fair to say that some additional delay is likely to return here if we were to take our prototype and scale it up for full production use.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 18-07-2019 at 09:53.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 09:54   #1309
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
My friend is a Technical Architect with the BBC - they don’t have a solution (yet).
I posted an article a little while ago indicating that the Beeb knew how to resolve this and it seemed to indicate that it would not take that long to sort this out. Maybe that article was a little on the optimistic side.
Old 18-07-2019, 09:55   #1310
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Indeed, it's on their own website:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45499784

Although I had thought that currently the BBC are focused on getting Ultra HD lag down to the same levels as their normal streaming services, rather than any total fix against broadcast

But then there is already differences between Freeview, cable and satellite delivery, so it's not like a streaming lag is unique.

Last edited by BenMcr; 18-07-2019 at 10:00.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 09:57   #1311
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

The V6 will be dead and buried with the old Pace boxes by the time there's no linear channels.

I still don't expect Virgin to see greater sales from this, but if it costs next to nothing it's harmless.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 11:13   #1312
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

New Sky deal includes UHD, but not Atlantic:
https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2019...-virgin-media/
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 11:22   #1313
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
New Sky deal includes UHD, but not Atlantic:
https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2019...-virgin-media/
Excellent that UHD content is going to be available to Virgin for the first time.
Old 18-07-2019, 11:29   #1314
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

it great we be getting sport and movies in UHD but look like I was right about VM never getting SA sadly
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 11:29   #1315
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

E! is going HD.

From 1/8/19 Comedy Central +1 (ROI) will be closing.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 18-07-2019 at 11:39.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 11:39   #1316
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
it great we be getting sport and movies in UHD but look like I was right about VM never getting SA sadly
Don't tell OB that Dave.
Old 18-07-2019, 11:59   #1317
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Time to keep an eye out for Now TV deals.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 12:12   #1318
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

The wording doesn't really say it, but could the wording be interpreted as the Comcast channels being HD swapped out?
https://www.virginmedia.com/corporat...d-the-industry

In other news, Discovery is reorganising their EPG numbers on Sky, something similar could be coming soon to VM. The short version is Good Food is being booted to the bottom and everything else is being moved up to next highest. Obviously VM is divided into categories more the Sky so they might do nothing on VM. Reading between the lines this could also mean Good Food is being closed.
https://www.rxtvlog.com/2019/07/disc...ls-on-sky.html
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 12:48   #1319
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
Ah, well, time to give up on that one, I guess. I will have to keep my Roku stick after all.
Old 18-07-2019, 12:55   #1320
Aguero9320
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q, Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Paramount+, Apple TV+
Aguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really nice

Does this new deal mean the remaining basic channels like Pick +1, Sky1 +1, Sky Racing HD will arrive with E! HD?
Aguero9320 is offline   Reply With Quote