Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 1gig Rollout getting faster

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

1gig Rollout getting faster

Old 07-10-2020, 12:28   #1
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads
1gig Rollout getting faster

Just reading about the 1gig roll out speeding up.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...gig1-speeds-UK
Old 07-10-2020, 14:08   #2
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: 1gig Rollout getting faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky Trevor View Post
Just reading about the 1gig roll out speeding up.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...gig1-speeds-UK
Because it is the Express I approached your link with caution. This is the paper that predicts killer snow, cold and heat every single year. :-) However, this looks kosher.

Reports earlier in the year suggested an accelerated roll out. https://advanced-television.com/2020...abit-roll-out/

So, we can look forward to universal 1GB coverage pretty soon. I wonder if a switch to DOCSIS 3.1 on the upstream is in the pipeline. Realistically, to appear to be moving forward, VM needs to be able to deliver at least a 10:1 service next.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 14:57   #3
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Thought it's worth posting the source of the Express story which is the Virgin Media / O2 site here

https://www.nationalconnectivitycham...e-new-pledges/

Quote:
Additionally, the companies will have added 1m premises to the 15 million homes and countless businesses that are already gigabit ready for broadband, within 12 months of the merger closing. The merged company also has the ambition to accelerate investments and connect a further 7m homes to gigabit broadband in the coming years, well ahead of the Government’s current broadband ambition.
Old 07-10-2020, 19:45   #4
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

Thanks Ben. The 'pledges' video was a good one.
Old 09-10-2020, 00:10   #5
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Has Virgin created a site where u can look if ur area has been updated as they have in the past with rollouts.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 00:52   #6
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Yes. Here

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/bro...abit-broadband
Old 09-10-2020, 01:10   #7
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Apparently 500mb which im on is fastest here at the moment and it didnt make that very clear on the page either.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 20:10   #8
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
Apparently 500mb which im on is fastest here at the moment and it didnt make that very clear on the page either.
500Mb has been rolled out pretty well everywhere, so unless you have 1Gb in your area already, then 500Mb is the fastest.
Old 10-10-2020, 00:49   #9
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Except that page just takes you to another page that says you can get VM services, but not what. You then need to click on another link to go to the bundles which for me says up top in a green box that I can get gig1 but none of the bundles include it.

Eventually figured out how to get a 1 gig tier, but it takes clicking the right 'choose this bundle' option and then finding the customise bundle option. The entire process for a new customer to order anything is utter dross compared to the Sky and BT new customer flow.

VM's marketing team needs to calm down, they change the bundle selection and purchase flow so frequently the damned thing barely makes any sense these days. In fact the bundle selection carousel is b0rked in Firefox.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 18:08   #10
horrorwood
cf.member

horrorwood has a spectacular aura about themhorrorwood has a spectacular aura about themhorrorwood has a spectacular aura about themhorrorwood has a spectacular aura about them

Adding 1gbit to the ultimate oomph makes it go from £89 to £111.

I think I'll pass if it ever rolls out here.
horrorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 12:03   #11
baz
cf.member

baz is an unknown quantity at this point

i don't need really fast speeds as I don't download or play games i'm only on 50mbps and that's only reaching 43.38/upload 5.70 I check my speed daily because my pc seemed to be slower than it was and just renewed my contract so if they cant even get my speed right how on earth are the going to achieve 1gbit
baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 15:02   #12
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz View Post
i don't need really fast speeds as I don't download or play games i'm only on 50mbps and that's only reaching 43.38/upload 5.70 I check my speed daily because my pc seemed to be slower than it was and just renewed my contract so if they cant even get my speed right how on earth are the going to achieve 1gbit
Your modem will be configured for more than 50Mb to allow for overheads. Eliminate factors giving you a low reading, e.g. Is this over wifi or ethernet cable? WiFi often gives a less than optimum speed. Are you certain nothing else in the house was using bandwidth, like a phone or TV? If you consistently get less than 50Mb after checking for local causes, call CS. You should get over 50Mb
Old 16-10-2020, 09:21   #13
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Hm, 1 gig "getting faster" but we've had no particular timescale or schedule on it so far so it's kind of meaningless. I have no idea when VM will do it in my area, this press release perhaps means it will be quicker than it was, but I don't know how much quicker (1 year? 1 hour?) and I don't have a frame of reference in the first place anyway so it's all meaningless.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 11:30   #14
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Despite the blab all the rollouts over the last 12 years or so have taken 2 years from starts to finish. Certain areas ay be brought forward but their are inevitably unexpected delays which in turn delay other areas. It is swings and roundabouts. I have always fallen in the middle so when a new tier or upgrade is announced around October and they say "we aim to get 25% done by Christmas" which sounds great, I know it is always going to be about a year before I get it.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 11:56   #15
baz
cf.member

baz is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
Your modem will be configured for more than 50Mb to allow for overheads. Eliminate factors giving you a low reading, e.g. Is this over wifi or ethernet cable? WiFi often gives a less than optimum speed. Are you certain nothing else in the house was using bandwidth, like a phone or TV? If you consistently get less than 50Mb after checking for local causes, call CS. You should get over 50Mb
just checked speed 45.14 6.30 upload i'm using ethernet cable nothing else turned on when I complained about the price they wanted to charge me for new contract when they rang me I said I would go elsewere they then put me through to another dept they reduced the price and locked it for 18 months I have been on 50mb in the past then a free upgrade to 70mb and yet another to 100mb over a period of time, so now I have landed up back on 50mb??? you just cant win with VM
baz is offline   Reply With Quote