Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Call charges but no phone

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

BT scam call

Old 21-12-2018, 10:19   #1
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
BT scam call

It sounds like a recorded message saying that my BT connection is about to be cut off. At that point I replaced the receiver because I'm not with BT. However anyone with BT might be fooled.
Old 21-12-2018, 11:08   #2
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one
Re: BT scam call

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
It sounds like a recorded message saying that my BT connection is about to be cut off. At that point I replaced the receiver because I'm not with BT. However anyone with BT might be fooled.

That is the same recorded message I get and like you am not with BT
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 11:15   #3
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Look on the BT web site and you will find lots of comments about it. I do like winding them up when I have some spare time.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 13:30   #4
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

My elderly friend is currently being plagued by this scam call and has been receiving 3 and sometimes 4 calls a day. Thankfully she is quite savvy but the annoyance of getting the calls is getting to her even though she now recognises the voice and ends the call immediately.

I was there this morning and during my hour long visit she got 3 calls!!!!!
Old 21-12-2018, 13:49   #5
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
My elderly friend is currently being plagued by this scam call and has been receiving 3 and sometimes 4 calls a day. Thankfully she is quite savvy but the annoyance of getting the calls is getting to her even though she now recognises the voice and ends the call immediately.

I was there this morning and during my hour long visit she got 3 calls!!!!!
Has she not got caller display Id now that it's free?
Old 21-12-2018, 14:07   #6
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

I think when I got one, the caller display said 'withheld'

I don't normally answer those, but was expecting a call from hospital . . that also comes up as withheld
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 16:47   #7
007stuart
cf.addict

Services: TIVO V6 Meg Service TV XL Virgin Phone Home & Mobile My wife says I have too many SONOS units
007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute

Get Truecall enabled phones and voila no more spam calls
007stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 17:26   #8
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Has she not got caller display Id now that it's free?
Unfortunately getting her to do anything other than use the phone at a most basic level, eg. she doesn't use a contact, phone numbers list. Insists on using her trusty Address (paper) Book and has stubbornly resisted all my efforts, and those of her family, to do anything other than humour us by letting me set up 1-5 quick dial numbers "just for emergencies only ..." She is convinced that allowing the phone to remember her contacts list is a Government ploy to keep an eye on her. I haven't broached the idea that the world is a sphere as I honestly don't want to open that can of worms.
Old 15-01-2019, 12:18   #9
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

So the BT scam didn't work this am so now it's OFCOM calling me on a recorded message to try and con me again..
Old 15-01-2019, 12:28   #10
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Do you not have caller ID set up(no its free) so you can avoid picking up the phone if you don't recognise the number?
Old 15-01-2019, 12:30   #11
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
So the BT scam didn't work this am so now it's OFCOM calling me on a recorded message to try and con me again..
I look forward to Ofcom calling. Do they also try to talk to you?
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 12:43   #12
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcimedes View Post
I look forward to Ofcom calling. Do they also try to talk to you?
I disconnected.
Old 15-01-2019, 13:21   #13
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I had a robot call the other day that sounded like one half of a conversation, with pauses for me to talk back to it. I’m not certain whether it was using AI to select its next response to me. I hung up after a few seconds anyway.

Then I got one from an energy company tout and managed to waste his time for around 7 and a half minutes. I was quite proud of myself
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 14:04   #14
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

Then I got one from an energy company tout and managed to waste his time for around 7 and a half minutes. I was quite proud of myself
That's a great game to play, sometimes I feel a little sorry for the poor bod on the other end . . but he rang me, so . . .
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 17:05   #15
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

I like getting them from the "I hear you've been in an accident" companies...

Them "I hear you've been in an accident"

Me " which one?"

Them "how many have you been in?"

Me "Two - one where I lost my legs, and then there was the serious one"

Them (usually) "the serious one? what happened?"

Me "tells them long and tortuous tale, about driving in the dark and snow, spinning off the road, crashing through trees, and then" I say " a fence post came through the front window and decapitated me - killed me stone dead".

Them - silence, usually followed by them putting the phone down...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote