Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | I am back!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

I am back!

Old 22-08-2018, 18:47   #46
Chloé Palmas
Inactive

Services: Sky HD (2 TB / 1.5 TB MultiRoom) Sky Fiber Max
Chloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation era
Re: I am back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
I know this is the summer silly season, but, in this thread, can we not learn the lessons of the rise of Donald Trump and Boris Johnson? Give narcissists the attention and oxygen they crave if you want them to stick around.
The thing is this thread actually does provide a lot more information than it just being about one poster. Like when people say the easiest way to stand up to a troll is ignoring them...how about continue to discuss things in an adult way, over said person's head. Facts and civility usually send a trouble maker away too so rising above it does some good, too. There is good to this thread, too - it is not just about giving Oxygen to fire.
Chloé Palmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-08-2018, 20:10   #47
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I love BoJo, I wanted him to be PM after David Cameron and I hope he gets in next time. We'll all be better off for it.
https://www.itsnicethat.com/system/f...jpg?1497523171
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 09:13   #48
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

I see Hyperoptic (Apartments) and Gigaclear (Rural) being mentioned but nothing about CityFibre (Partnered with Vodafone). They are the the major player at the moment with the mst ambitious plans outwith VM and OR for FTTH. They are also pinching a lot of VM staff which isn't helpful

Might be worth considering... but CF arent building in areas where VM have expansion plans for FTTH... coincidence?

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 14:24   #49
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesteev View Post
I see Hyperoptic (Apartments) and Gigaclear (Rural) being mentioned but nothing about CityFibre (Partnered with Vodafone). They are the the major player at the moment with the mst ambitious plans outwith VM and OR for FTTH. They are also pinching a lot of VM staff which isn't helpful

Might be worth considering... but CF arent building in areas where VM have expansion plans for FTTH... coincidence?
And in Leeds, CityFibre are only (at the moment) supplying to schools and businesses.

https://www.cityfibre.com/gigabit-cities/leeds/
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 14:55   #50
Chloé Palmas
Inactive

Chloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation era

For the most part (best I understand it) there is no real option to have these incredible levels of speed at residential premises. I haven't heard about hospitals but like you said above, schools and businesses / social housing and that is about it. We'll all get it one day but I figure that we should remember to be grateful that we all live in homes / have our own houses etc and are not struggling in social housing.
Old 24-08-2018, 16:54   #51
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesteev View Post

Interesting, apparently my postcode is "close" to the network, registered interest but i can't see them doing our estate anytime soon
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 19:04   #52
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Serious question: why do people want these fast speeds? I get the upload speed increase but for download?
Old 24-08-2018, 19:25   #53
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

mine is bigger than yours
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 19:28   #54
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Serious question: why do people want these fast speeds? I get the upload speed increase but for download?
To download quicker, just like uploading quicker, kind of obvious really.
Old 24-08-2018, 19:30   #55
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I must admit I agree with you. Personally for me the upload speed would be the deal breaker. For instance if the was a provider who offered 50/25 they'd get my business. 50Mb download is more than enough for me.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 19:36   #56
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
To download quicker, just like uploading quicker, kind of obvious really.
Not obvious at all. Can all sites sustain Gb speeds? No, not very many at all. Why would they need to. The speeds would be governed more by the content and the business delivery model than your inability to wait a few seconds longer.

Maybe I worded my question wrong: why do people need, not want, faster speeds?
Old 24-08-2018, 19:53   #57
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Not obvious at all. Can all sites sustain Gb speeds? No, not very many at all. Why would they need to. The speeds would be governed more by the content and the business delivery model than your inability to wait a few seconds longer.

Maybe I worded my question wrong: why do people need, not want, faster speeds?

I forgot we were talking about Gb speeds, i guess if someone can upload gigs of photos at that speed then they would also want to be able to download them just as quickly.

Personally i am happy with my 150mb download and 10mbit upload.
Old 24-08-2018, 20:07   #58
Chloé Palmas
Inactive

Even if it in Gig (Q unit), Hyperoptic do have it as a part of their T&C that you can't use so much that it is to the determent of other users:
Quote:
EXCESSIVE USAGE
We don’t have a traffic management policy, although we may choose to use one in the future (with or without notice). But our system does flag excessive use and if we believe that your use of the internet, our Network or Services is so excessive that other customers’ Services are being harmed, then we may give you a written warning (by email or otherwise) to reduce your use. If you don’t do this, we may suspend or end your Services.
Is that standard procedure / for every provider?

From what I can make of it, it seems to be shared per block of properties with Hyperoptic and if one uses too much it may effect the speed / throttle it for someone else...kind of like a shared plan. Is that correct?
Old 24-08-2018, 21:54   #59
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloé Palmas View Post
Even if it in Gig (Q unit), Hyperoptic do have it as a part of their T&C that you can't use so much that it is to the determent of other users:

From what I can make of it, it seems to be shared per block of properties with Hyperoptic and if one uses too much it may effect the speed / throttle it for someone else...kind of like a shared plan. Is that correct?
All residential internet services are contended.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 22:36   #60
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloé Palmas View Post

It can be fairly technical. I don't know how Hyperoptic do their fibre - like how many cores and whether or not they use WDM to allow multiple channels per core.

Then there is the equipment that drives the fibres. Home equipment is constrained to 1 Gbps but the aggregating equipment can drive at 10 or 100 Gbps. That all comes down to cost/investment.

So the effects of contention can be kicked down the road if the investment is there, but as take up rises, contention effects creep in.

For Virgin Media, they are investing in infrastructure so that they can meet the upcoming 50% rules for headline speeds. So there's built-in legal contention already in place.

It's quite technically complex - and Telford is back!

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote