Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | France win the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

France win the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:14   #421
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
They would have on the other hand people also would be surprised if you told them Germany and Spain wouldn't make the Quarter Finals. The draw opened up in such a way that England wouldn't have had to play a 'better' team than them until the final. In the end we got here by beating Tunisia, Panama, Colombia and Sweden. Pessimistic or not those are teams we should have beaten.

It's not just about the quality of the team but an element of luck as well and we had that in this tournament. You have to take your chances when you can because in four years time we might have a final route which includes Germany, Spain and/or Brazil.

The team did better than expected, they played nicer football and are more likable but you can't help but feel we threw away the chance to play in a World Cup final for only the second time ever.
Agreed - I thought that Croatia deserved to win, as they played more attacking/aggressive football and seemed to have more "go" in the second half/extra time, and all through the competition England (mostly) seemed to lack the killer instinct in the box (often dawdling/passing instead of shooting for goal), but hopefully experience will bring that.

I still think they did well to be the third English team to get to the semi-finals in 68 years, and the second in the last 52 years, and the first in the last 28 years.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2018, 12:18   #422
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

People can obviously have their opinion and I'll have mine. Getting to the semi finals, brilliant. But we were shocking from the start. Struggled against Tunisa and got beat of Belgium. Colombia was a hard game for the tactics they used and while we beat Sweden, it didn't really look convincing. They aren't hero's and they really didn't do anyone proud. Played 6, lost 2 and kept messing about in their own half passing back to the keeper only for us to kick it forward and lose the ball or it end up going out of play or getting into difficulty by messing about near our own box. I'm not saying there wasn't any positives but it just didn't seem good enough.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 16:59   #423
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Thus why I posted both opinions on the matter and it is justified. Whilst it was great for the country and a rare occasion it wasn't as impressive as its being made out to be and people are trying their utmost to disguise England's second half performance as anything other than absolutely collapsing and bottling the game.

I'll still credit Southgate but I've never backed him. This team is actually capable, again numerous times I've pointed that out (feel like that has to be said because I've slated them relentlessly in the past) Arsene Wenger is the logical choice here if he can be persuaded. Sadly its more likely Southgate will be backed because the FA are all too happy to see this as an over achievement. Which it will be coming into the tournament blind with no idea who you'd play in the knockouts. If you're coming in with the guaranteed fixtures we had then you'd expect nothing less than the final and because of the teams we had, I struggle to class it as an over achievement. I'm still lost in what absolutely should have been England's first final since 66. I also can't see England getting 'better' Southgate knows they're not playing to their full ability but I can't imagine him getting that from them. With the timing too it's really now or never for someone like Wenger to step in. Given the split of the fans, it would be an impossible choice to make.

Last edited by adzii_nufc; 12-07-2018 at 17:07.
adzii_nufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 15:15   #424
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Southgate really talks the big talk, doesn't quite happen that way on the field though.
Old 14-07-2018, 15:24   #425
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

So you think we should get rid of him then?.
Old 14-07-2018, 15:51   #426
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

Pretty much, can't think of a game where we've beaten decent opposition and looked good over the last year. He's being protected by a semi final finish against mediocre opposition. England were crap under Hodgson but they applauded a draw and knockout on penalties to Italy. Which in turn led to a horrendous world cup and an even worse Euros. Just can't be bothered to watch a repeat. At the same time, our squad is one of the worst I've seen in my lifetime.

But I've slated Southgate from the get go, so there's bias. His one key moment as a football manager being relegating Middlesbrough. I'm just not convinced.

Again though, it's all on opinions. Those that think we done well and those that are calling it a run against mediocre opposition that we should've pounced on. I'd rather sit on the middle of it and call it both ways.

Last edited by adzii_nufc; 14-07-2018 at 16:00.
Old 14-07-2018, 15:58   #427
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
Pretty much, can't think of a game where we've beaten decent opposition and looked good over the last year. He's being protected by a semi final finish against mediocre opposition. England were crap under Hodgson but they applauded a draw and knockout on penalties to Italy. Which in turn led to a horrendous world cup and an even worse Euros. Just can't be bothered to watch a repeat. At the same time, our squad is one of the worst I've seen in my lifetime.

But I've slated Southgate from the get go, so there's bias. His one key moment as a football manager being relegating Middlesbrough. I'm just not convinced.
+1

You can add to that the embarrassment that is kane.

No way captain material, anonymous the last few games and cringeworthy when being interviewed.

And to think he might get the golden boot for slotting in penalties makes that award worthless.
Old 14-07-2018, 16:02   #428
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

So who would you both suggest as the new manager?.
Old 14-07-2018, 16:53   #429
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
+1

You can add to that the embarrassment that is kane.

No way captain material, anonymous the last few games and cringeworthy when being interviewed.

And to think he might get the golden boot for slotting in penalties makes that award worthless.
Yep. It seems harsh to say but how can you avoid the truth of it, he was diabolical when it mattered most. He had such a chance too and absolutely blew it. Sterling is another, the same pundits protecting him throughout were nowhere to be found after Croatia. An absolute repeat of Rooney in 2016, who I praised up until he pulled an amazing magical trick of vanishing

---------- Post added at 16:04 ---------- Previous post was at 16:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
So who would you both suggest as the new manager?.
Arsene Wenger or bust.

There's not really much point in swapping out a manager if nothing better is available. I mean we've ended up going from Capello to Southgate with a Hodgson and Allardyce in between doing that. We need someone that will bring out the best in players, especially Sterling who has a return of 2 in 42, yet 18 in 38 for Guardiola, with 11 assists to boot.

---------- Post added at 16:53 ---------- Previous post was at 16:04 ----------

Belgium really deserved more. Had they took second and had our run they'd undoubtedly be in the final.

Last edited by adzii_nufc; 14-07-2018 at 16:15.
Old 14-07-2018, 19:57   #430
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post

Arsene Wenger or bust.
There will be outrage from the press if they hired Wenger now. He would become the most hatred man in Britain. Leaving aside the fact Southgate is popular there is a small, but loud, part of the British press who clearly despise foreign managers. You know the ones, the ones who praise Allardyce but hate Benitez.

---------- Post added at 19:57 ---------- Previous post was at 19:48 ----------

Also for all my scepticism around this tournament there isn't much cause to reason to fire Southgate. He has done well enough to handle Euro 2020 IMO.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 21:29   #431
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

I think it would be wrong to get rid of Southgate, he has done well with the squad, okay what he needs it a pair of creative midfielders as Alli is good yes but not very creative just runs at the defenders and tries to pass the ball to the strikers both of whom are lame ducks and yes as Julian has said wrong player for captain, main striker, everything really and yes for him to get a golden boot for mainly penalties and 1 goal that shouldn't have been his as he didnt do anything to score it.
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 16:37   #432
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 TV 360 boxes. 500mb BB, Phone line.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Clear hand to ball IMHO.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 16:37   #433
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Another poor decision for the penalty just awarded to France..
Old 15-07-2018, 16:48   #434
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 TV 360 boxes. 500mb BB, Phone line.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

There was obvious hand towards ball movement from Perisic, harsh but it stopped the ball going past him.

Last edited by iadom; 15-07-2018 at 16:52.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 16:52   #435
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom View Post
There was obvious hand towards ball movement from Perisic, good decision for me.
Sorry Jim but on this one l absolutely disagree with you as Perisic's hand was not really in an unnatural position and was a very close distance from the header as it has to be clear and obvious without any doubt..