Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | France win the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport

France win the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

Old 11-07-2018, 21:53   #406
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup.

France will be loving this, they get an extra days rest against a team that has played 3 or 1 period of ET.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2018, 22:47   #407
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

They've absolutely shat the bed, I'd love to know what Southgate said at half time. All the pre match hype of how confident England were. They failed to show any of that after the first 45. Again I'd love to know what prompted this mental collapse from being a goal in front.

---------- Post added at 21:22 ---------- Previous post was at 20:54 ----------

Just horrid to watch. I'd have taken going out playing to their best against France or Belgium or any top level team.. Not to Croatia with this shocking performance. England have choked harder than Steven Gerrard did letting in Demba Ba.

---------- Post added at 21:47 ---------- Previous post was at 21:22 ----------

What's there to say?

Conflicting opinions it seems. The run is a lie and Croatia were the first good team England really had to get by and they failed. That if we'd seen the fixtures we'd have before the tournament we'd expect to run all the way to the final.

On the next opinion. England could have beaten anyone on their day. That first half performance would've tested France.

Myself. I just don't understand. I have absolutely no idea how you go in at 45 minute looking like a top team and reappear in the second half looking like Newcastle United. Desperately trying to cling onto a 1 goal lead.

I can't defend Southgate either. He got that horribly wrong, we all seen a goal coming and made no shift to change the outcome.

Sadly whilst I find a case to agree with both opinions on ways, especially given how many times I've said they could do it and I still believe they could have. The fact is a simple one. We'll never get an easier run to a world cup final than that and we bottled it.

Last edited by adzii_nufc; 11-07-2018 at 22:54.
adzii_nufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 23:00   #408
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom View Post
You heard it here first, England to beat Belgium in the final.

:
I meant the third place play off.

Croatia the better side after half time and ET. A team of hardened professionals with a total of nine Champions League medals between them. Fully deserved win in the end.
Old 11-07-2018, 23:01   #409
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

They did well to reach this stage, but in this game they got what they deserved.

After a decent display for 30 minutes, they suddenly turned into a poor team.

It looked to me as though they stopped closing down, relied on a 'defend-counter attack' tactic, and allowed Croatia the freedom they needed to gain confidence in their play.

They're still a good shout for the future of English football though . . young enough to develop into a very good national team, which makes a refreshing change

@ adzii_nufc . . 'reappear in the second half looking like Newcastle United' - I was actually reminded of a few Luton matches from the past few seasons
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 23:05   #410
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Don't think it's arguable that Croatia didn't deserve it. England ensured they did. An England collapse granted but Croatia took the chances, that's key.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but Southgate out, Wenger in. I have faith in this team but I think they're capable of so much more, Southgate said the same thing. I just really don't believe he's the man to bring that out. Bloke has done a great job but I can't deal with waiting two years for him to be sacked at Euro 2020.

We can forget all this though for a bit and look to something else. This is the most united I've seen the nation since the 2002 World Cup. Extraordinary turnout around the nation for England this year.

Last edited by adzii_nufc; 11-07-2018 at 23:09.
adzii_nufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 00:04   #411
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Something completely slipped my mind . . . England are still in the running for 3rd place.

For this English team to finish 3rd in a World cup would be a worthy achievement indeed

Saturday may be our day of 'glory'
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 00:33   #412
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

Can imagine it'll be more of the same from the first game. Can't complain if it gives some of the other lads a chance to play. Can accept the top players from both teams will be rested now.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:03   #413
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom View Post
I meant the third place play off.

Croatia the better side after half time and ET. A team of hardened professionals with a total of nine Champions League medals between them. Fully deserved win in the end.
Inexperience , naivety , fatigue , failure to get more then a one goal lead and to top it off another stinker of a referee.

Well done Croatia for reaching the final but even more well done to England the youngest side in the tournament as despite what some others say they certainly did not bottle it as our boys did us proud.

---------- Post added at 05:03 ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
Don't think it's arguable that Croatia didn't deserve it. England ensured they did. An England collapse granted but Croatia took the chances, that's key.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but Southgate out, Wenger in. I have faith in this team but I think they're capable of so much more, Southgate said the same thing. I just really don't believe he's the man to bring that out. Bloke has done a great job but I can't deal with waiting two years for him to be sacked at Euro 2020.

We can forget all this though for a bit and look to something else. This is the most united I've seen the nation since the 2002 World Cup. Extraordinary turnout around the nation for England this year.
l was thinking more along the lines of Jim as the manager and you as his clever assistant...
Old 12-07-2018, 06:39   #414
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

Onwards for France vs Croatia. France would be worthy winners now. Can't argue with it. Believe their team hasn't even hit its peak yet either.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:51   #415
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

France for me as their team has the right blend of talent and experience.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:50   #416
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post

I agree with you that this team is getting too much credit. They've beaten the teams they really should have beaten but not beat anyone better than them or close to them. Yesterday was a bottle-job.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:50   #417
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

If people had said before the tournament started that England would get to the Semi’s, they would have been accused of being wildly optimistic.

It’s a young, fairly inexperienced (at International level) team, and whilst they’ve got a lot to learn, I’m impressed they got this far.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:59   #418
denphone
Still alive and fighting

For some to say it was a bottle job is OTT IMO as in the end the key factors of lack of experience , clear fatigue , requisite tactical nous cost us but we certainly have a team and a manager that we can be proud of as look at our previous managers and then one might think quite a bit differently then some of the kneejerk reactions after losing this match.

Last edited by denphone; 12-07-2018 at 11:53.
denphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:30   #419
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
If people had said before the tournament started that England would get to the Semi’s, they would have been accused of being wildly optimistic.

It’s a young, fairly inexperienced (at International level) team, and whilst they’ve got a lot to learn, I’m impressed they got this far.
They would have on the other hand people also would be surprised if you told them Germany and Spain wouldn't make the Quarter Finals. The draw opened up in such a way that England wouldn't have had to play a 'better' team than them until the final. In the end we got here by beating Tunisia, Panama, Colombia and Sweden. Pessimistic or not those are teams we should have beaten.

It's not just about the quality of the team but an element of luck as well and we had that in this tournament. You have to take your chances when you can because in four years time we might have a final route which includes Germany, Spain and/or Brazil.

The team did better than expected, they played nicer football and are more likable but you can't help but feel we threw away the chance to play in a World Cup final for only the second time ever.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:59   #420
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Although I feel that Croatia fully deserved to win one thing did bother me. Looking at the boot of Perisic as he scores brings back memories of this same ref and Nani’s ludicrous red card in the Champions League a few years back. If that challenge had been outside the box would he have penalised the Perisic?

Last edited by iadom; 12-07-2018 at 12:31.