Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BBC wants to increase licence fee

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

BBC wants to increase licence fee

Old 18-09-2018, 17:56   #1
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
BBC wants to increase licence fee

The Director General of the BBC is trying to make a case for an increase to the licence fee. This, I think, is the wrong approach.

What the DG should be doing is making a case for the licence fee to be scrapped, with a subscription at the existing rate maintained for its existing TV and radio channels and the i-Player.

Then it should make a case to the Government to provide additional premium material at an additional cost, either with one or more premium channels broadcast by traditional linear means and/or by the establishment of a new streaming service.

That would be a much better solution than just putting up the outdated licence fee that poorer members of society would find difficult to pay.

https://www.rapidtvnews.com/20180918...#axzz5RTMUzQGs
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-09-2018, 18:04   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: BBC wants to increase licence fee

This isn't really Virgin Media news as it would be relevant to all TV platforms in the UK.

The problem with the subscription option for the BBC is that to that you'll then have to put the BBC content behind some form of broadcast restriction for it to work. I wouldn't even know how you'd do that for radio.

So potentially you could end up with ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 on Freeview, but the BBC channels not.

So to turn the BBC into a subscription service would require a complete rethink of the PSB channels in the UK, what is 'free to view' and how.

It's also not only the BBC that gets funding from the licence fee - S4C is due to get all of it's funding from it shortly https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-43569372

Last edited by BenMcr; 18-09-2018 at 18:08.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 18:12   #3
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Sorry to post this in the wrong place. If the moderators would transfer this to current affairs, I would appreciate it.
Old 18-09-2018, 18:15   #4
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The Director General of the BBC is trying to make a case for an increase to the licence fee. This, I think, is the wrong approach.

What the DG should be doing is making a case for the licence fee to be scrapped, with a subscription at the existing rate maintained for its existing TV and radio channels and the i-Player.

Then it should make a case to the Government to provide additional premium material at an additional cost, either with one or more premium channels broadcast by traditional linear means and/or by the establishment of a new streaming service.

That would be a much better solution than just putting up the outdated licence fee that poorer members of society would find difficult to pay.

https://www.rapidtvnews.com/20180918...#axzz5RTMUzQGs
Cobblers as usual OB !

The fee was frozen for years. Then the Govt. made the BBC pay for the rich Tory pensioners licences - instead it needs to be free/subsidised for those on Income Support.

Scrap the fee and it would just become another commercial channel producing little new or original. At £12 a month for mostly original content its a bargain, compared to VM/Sky subscriptions. I would gladly sell my kidneys to save the BBC (well maybe just the one )
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 18:36   #5
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

I don't see the point of spending £12pm for something I never watch. I don't mind paying a subscription for something I do or will watch.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 18:43   #6
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

If I could opt-out of paying for the Tory supporting news I'd jump at the chance.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 19:01   #7
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Cobblers as usual OB !

The fee was frozen for years. Then the Govt. made the BBC pay for the rich Tory pensioners licences - instead it needs to be free/subsidised for those on Income Support.

Scrap the fee and it would just become another commercial channel producing little new or original. At £12 a month for mostly original content its a bargain, compared to VM/Sky subscriptions. I would gladly sell my kidneys to save the BBC (well maybe just the one )
No, it's not 'cobblers', Mr K. Whether the licence fee has been frozen for a few years or not, the common complaint is that it's inefficient and expensive. Another is that whether or not you watch BBC TV or radio programmes, you still have to pay for it.

I am not suggesting the BBC should show commercials. I said the licence fee should be scrapped in favour of a subscription at the same price, and the income should be topped up and the current level surpassed with a premium channel and/or streaming services for a separate additional subscription.

Your kidneys are safe with me.

---------- Post added at 18:48 ---------- Previous post was at 18:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
If I could opt-out of paying for the Tory supporting news I'd jump at the chance.
Tories are right wing, not left wing, Skie. You got that a bit muddled!

---------- Post added at 18:49 ---------- Previous post was at 18:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I don't see the point of spending £12pm for something I never watch. I don't mind paying a subscription for something I do or will watch.
Agreed. It's simply an unjust arrangement.

---------- Post added at 19:01 ---------- Previous post was at 18:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
The problem with the subscription option for the BBC is that to that you'll then have to put the BBC content behind some form of broadcast restriction for it to work. I wouldn't even know how you'd do that for radio.

So potentially you could end up with ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 on Freeview, but the BBC channels not.

So to turn the BBC into a subscription service would require a complete rethink of the PSB channels in the UK, what is 'free to view' and how.

It's also not only the BBC that gets funding from the licence fee - S4C is due to get all of it's funding from it shortly https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-43569372
I agree that public service broadcasting needs to be re-thought. However, if ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 are all free to view on Freeview but BBC is on subscription only, I don't see that as a problem if some people don't want to pay for it. If they don't watch it now anyway, the outcome is no different.

We have been told that in the medium term, all the terrestrial TV channels will be delivered over the internet - you will no longer be able to receive channels through an aerial. I presume that radio will go the same way, and therefore it will be possible to block TV and radio stations from non-subscribers.

If the Government of the day wants to pay any broadcaster to schedule in public service broadcasting, it would still be able to pay them for doing so. So S4C and local programming would still be safe.
Old 18-09-2018, 19:39   #8
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Thread moved to appropriate section
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 19:46   #9
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Thread moved to appropriate section
Thanks, Hugh.
Old 18-09-2018, 19:47   #10
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
You must watch a different BBC news to me.
Old 18-09-2018, 20:24   #11
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
You must watch a different BBC news to me.
Or you’re both watching the same programme, and it’s your viewpoint that interprets what’s being shown...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 20:28   #12
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Drop the endless quizes and then strictly, then make a decent drama.
Old 18-09-2018, 20:32   #13
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough

I think the license only exists so that people lean more toward watching the BBC and therefore whatever "thought for the day" is being pushed on there by its owners, who have an artificial monopoly on the imposition of national public opinion.

People think "well, since I'm paying for it, I might as well watch it"....
Onramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 21:06   #14
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Or you’re both watching the same programme, and it’s your viewpoint that interprets what’s being shown...
Indeed, the BBC gets as many complaints about being biased to the left as they do to the right, which shows me that they have the right balance.

---------- Post added at 21:06 ---------- Previous post was at 20:56 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
No, it's not 'cobblers', Mr K. Whether the licence fee has been frozen for a few years or not, the common complaint is that it's inefficient and expensive. Another is that whether or not you watch BBC TV or radio programmes, you still have to pay for it.

I am not suggesting the BBC should show commercials. I said the licence fee should be scrapped in favour of a subscription at the same price, and the income should be topped up and the current level surpassed with a premium channel and/or streaming services for a separate additional subscription.

Your kidneys are safe with me.

---------- Post added at 18:48 ---------- Previous post was at 18:46 ----------

Tories are right wing, not left wing, Skie. You got that a bit muddled!

---------- Post added at 18:49 ---------- Previous post was at 18:48 ----------

Agreed. It's simply an unjust arrangement.

---------- Post added at 19:01 ---------- Previous post was at 18:49 ----------

I agree that public service broadcasting needs to be re-thought. However, if ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 are all free to view on Freeview but BBC is on subscription only, I don't see that as a problem if some people don't want to pay for it. If they don't watch it now anyway, the outcome is no different.

We have been told that in the medium term, all the terrestrial TV channels will be delivered over the internet - you will no longer be able to receive channels through an aerial. I presume that radio will go the same way, and therefore it will be possible to block TV and radio stations from non-subscribers.

If the Government of the day wants to pay any broadcaster to schedule in public service broadcasting, it would still be able to pay them for doing so. So S4C and local programming would still be safe.
This would mean that those who don't watch any type of TV at all would end up paying for the BBC through general taxation.

The reason why the TVL was set up in the way it is was to ensure that the BBC remained independent from the Government of the day.

Shifting the cost of paying for the free TV licences for the over 75's from the DWP to the BBC was a sly move as the BBC will get the blame for any cutbacks. It's the same principle as them cutting the Revenue Support Grants to local authorities, it's the councils who then get the blame when Council Tax Bills increase whilst services are reduced.

Having said that, I do think that the free TV licence schemes should be reformed. It's ridiculous that a millionaire pensioner doesn't pay whilst a younger person on benefits has to, or that a working family on decent wages can stick the TVL into an elderly persons name who lives with them so that they can all enjoy the benefit of a free TVL.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 21:55   #15
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Indeed, the BBC gets as many complaints about being biased to the left as they do to the right, which shows me that they have the right balance.

---------- Post added at 21:06 ---------- Previous post was at 20:56 ----------

This would mean that those who don't watch any type of TV at all would end up paying for the BBC through general taxation.

The reason why the TVL was set up in the way it is was to ensure that the BBC remained independent from the Government of the day.

Shifting the cost of paying for the free TV licences for the over 75's from the DWP to the BBC was a sly move as the BBC will get the blame for any cutbacks. It's the same principle as them cutting the Revenue Support Grants to local authorities, it's the councils who then get the blame when Council Tax Bills increase whilst services are reduced.

Having said that, I do think that the free TV licence schemes should be reformed. It's ridiculous that a millionaire pensioner doesn't pay whilst a younger person on benefits has to, or that a working family on decent wages can stick the TVL into an elderly persons name who lives with them so that they can all enjoy the benefit of a free TVL.
Not really. What I was saying was that the public service element would be funded by the Government. Other channels would also benefit from this as they do now.

We agree that reform is necessary. This should be done in a measured way, ensuring that the BBC was still able to raise the value of the licence fee by way of the basic subscription and had the flexibility to top it up as they saw fit with premium programming.