Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 2018 price rises

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

2018 price rises

Old 17-09-2018, 20:37   #136
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads
Re: 2018 price rises

Usually i just call retentions and take whatever they offer but went down the actually cancelling route for the call back this time. They called tonight and offered £22 for 100mb which i took so that's that for another year.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-09-2018, 18:17   #137
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

No price rise for me so far Renegotiating a new contract at the start of August, seems to have been a good time to choose !
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 09:39   #138
bradjenkins
Inactive

bradjenkins is an unknown quantity at this point

Exactly right. I thought the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakes aka dd View Post
Have to say looking at the bundles today I don't see anything that really grabs you and says value for money. They are looking a bit dated
bradjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 11:32   #139
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all

Just called, VM want to double my bill. "This offer has finished" etc. Shame. Have to look around for a good deal.
JPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 12:47   #140
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPAC View Post
Just called, VM want to double my bill. "This offer has finished" etc. Shame. Have to look around for a good deal.
That's a bit drastic for you,
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 14:17   #141
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville View Post
That's a bit drastic for you,
..but it does suggest that the last deal was a very good one.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 14:49   #142
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
..but it does suggest that the last deal was a very good one.
That's the problem with these deals, some are that good that the customers taking them forget what the actual price of the bundle is and get a big shock at the end of the deal period.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 16:33   #143
djfunkdup
NoT 1oF tHe UsUaLSuSpeCtS

Services: Hyper-Optic 1Gig
djfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
That's the problem with these deals, some are that good that the customers taking them forget what the actual price of the bundle is and get a big shock at the end of the deal period.

Agreed.That's part of the problem,the promotion period is too long and should in my opinion be 3 months maximum then the price point goes up to the same as other customers are paying.

Too many people seem to think that they should get services for a price point that ''they'' think is fit for the service they are supplied with lol

This is something that Ofcom really should sort out and make ISP'S have fixed transparent pricing that's easy to understand and regulate that promotion periods can't last for more than 3 months.

I'd imagine that it's partly because of all the promotions and customers on the phone whining like babies for cheap cheap cheap!! that drives up costs for VM and that in turn means that we get one or two price rises a year
djfunkdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 17:18   #144
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

I don't think people should be looked down upon for wanting the cheapest deal possible. Unless you actually require the speeds VM offer it's really no different than changing your gas or electricity supplier to make sure you're not paying more than you have to.

I'd have been quite willing to switch this year with living quite close to the FTTC cabinet and plenty of deals around for £25 ish. If they hadn't called me back after cancelling it wouldn't have made any difference to me whether i was getting 70mb elsewhere or 100mb from them, other than to my bank balance.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 17:28   #145
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all

VM tried to convince me I needed at least 100MB, which I don't. I was offered 50MB BB only, no TV, no telephone for about the same as last year, I'm still thinking about it. I don't really need either of those two. Last year's deal was good for VM but not that good versus what the rest were offering. I'm looking around now.
Old 19-09-2018, 19:36   #146
djfunkdup
NoT 1oF tHe UsUaLSuSpeCtS

Services: Hyper-Optic 1Gig
djfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
I don't think people should be looked down upon for wanting the cheapest deal possible. Unless you actually require the speeds VM offer it's really no different than changing your gas or electricity supplier to make sure you're not paying more than you have to.

Listen i totally agree with you there lol. that's partly the point i was making in my earlier comment. if people find VM too expensive then they should downgrade with either VM or move to a different supplier.But there are far too many people that let emotions get in the road and stick with the ISP in question but constantly want to haggle for cheaper services and constantly badger them for loyalty discounts etc rather then just paying the price point as advertised and everyone pays the same.
djfunkdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 20:09   #147
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfunkdup View Post
Listen i totally agree with you there lol. that's partly the point i was making in my earlier comment. if people find VM too expensive then they should downgrade with either VM or move to a different supplier.But there are far too many people that let emotions get in the road and stick with the ISP in question but constantly want to haggle for cheaper services and constantly badger them for loyalty discounts etc rather then just paying the price point as advertised and everyone pays the same.
That's not how it works though is it? If VM wanted everyone to pay the same, they could easily make it that way. Not in their interests to do so. They make loads from those paying the 'full price', either through apathy or ignorance. Given that's the way it is, it's in the customers interest to haggle the best deal possible.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 21:30   #148
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
That's not how it works though is it? If VM wanted everyone to pay the same, they could easily make it that way. Not in their interests to do so. They make loads from those paying the 'full price', either through apathy or ignorance. Given that's the way it is, it's in the customers interest to haggle the best deal possible.
Totally agree. It's why guides like this exist:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ut...customer-tips/

"Companies make their best deals only available for newbies, and they LOVE loyal customers, because they stay with the firm through thick 'n' thin, always paying full price and never checking if their deal can be beaten.

This lets big firms rake in regular, guaranteed, easy profit. So ask yourself a question: do you want to be a customer whose business is fought for, or one who's taken for granted? If you don't want to be taken for granted, take the haggle challenge."
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 21:57   #149
JPAC
cf.addict

VM doesn't seem to haggle anymore, it's take it or leave it. Sometimes you get a decent price - less than their advertised price, offered by retentions/outgoing retentions, sometimes you don't. Then you find another ISP. Bundles used to get you a reasonable deal, not now, just my experience this year. The trigger phrase in previous years was to say you wanted to take your number with you. Now IMO they're not bothered and are happy for you to leave. Churn will be quite high this year I expect.
Old 20-09-2018, 17:45   #150
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfunkdup View Post
Then you get VM doing daft things, I tried to get rid of TV and Phone and was prepared to pay full price for the broadband package I wanted.

Customer loyalty then called and offered me a bundle that makes it cheaper to keep all 3 than the broadband on it's own should cost for the duration of the contract term as well.

I think the Tivo has watched for about an hour in the past 8 months if that, seriously thinking of totally unplugging it to save some power.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote