Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Best Router to Use with Home Hub 3

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Best Router to Use with Home Hub 3

Old 19-09-2018, 15:26   #61
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Re: Best Router to Use with Home Hub 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
The spring in the routher is stronger than bloody duct tape.

Just had to near wrap the dam thing, in it
Interesting, the exact same thing happened to my N66-U as well. I thought I'd maybe knocked it or dropped it by accident, but like yourself I just used a chunk of tape to sort it.

EDIT: I googled around and it seems to be a common issue on all of Asus' routers from around that era: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/br...-button.13601/

Disappointing, really.

Last edited by Kushan; 19-09-2018 at 15:31.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-09-2018, 17:37   #62
Paulie
Inactive

Services: Virgin Phone, mobile and BB V6 and Tivo Asus RT-AC68U
Paulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to all

Hi guys
Been watching this thread with interest, and have today successfully installed my asus AC68U

One quick question ... What does the 802.1 authentication do, and should I be using it? It`s default set to "none" and if I hit the drop down box, two more fields appear. Am I correct in assuming it needs my log in details etc?
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 17:43   #63
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

If you are talking about 802.11x it is for large enterprises and to do with their network credentials and how they log onto stuff so you dont need to worry about it. You want wpa2.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 17:51   #64
Paulie
Inactive

Paulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to all
Thumbs up Re: Best Router to Use with Home Hub 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
If you are talking about 802.11x it is for large enterprises and to do with their network credentials and how they log onto stuff so you dont need to worry about it. You want wpa2.

Great stuff. Thank you
Old 24-09-2018, 18:23   #65
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Ok so the RT-AC88U's is broken and I got no or intermittant 2.4GHz, and the Amazon chat confirmed this and it was returned.

So I what a router that I could still get a strong 2.4GHz/5GHz 2 miles away

You know what I mean.

I was looking at the netgear nighthawk x6 or anthing better?

Budget is whatever I can get but not silly/wasteful cost.

---------- Post added at 18:23 ---------- Previous post was at 18:23 ----------

I'm on VM cable (Not DSL)
Old 24-09-2018, 22:47   #66
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/ne...n-test-1090523
Old 25-09-2018, 09:54   #67
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

The top range Netgear Nighthawks are not reported in some sources as best for wireless. From dim memory the R7800 (I have R7000) is one of the best bang for buck in the range. The R8000 is a little cheaper but may not perform as well is some circumstances.

You are best looking at what you need then finding out what best fits, some are better at some "features" than others e.g. range through walls, performance at range etc.
Old 25-09-2018, 10:12   #68
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I need one that can give a strong wifi signal.

My Asus RT-N66U has a strong wifi signal downstairs.

So want one that a equal or stronger
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 22:37   #69
Paulie
Inactive

I`ve just got the asus RT-AC68 U and today got the PCE-68 card. Three bed 1930`s semi with router upstairs, and pc downstairs.
This is what I`m getting, and very happy

Old 26-09-2018, 11:42   #70
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

The RT-AC68U is a good unit. if you have a couple (or more), you can use their AiMesh firmware to give you continuous, full speed coverage through the house with the use of repeaters. You have a choice of Ethernet or 5GHz backhaul although, for the best speeds, Ethernet is better.

I have 3 units, one on each floor and I can get good speeds from Wifi everywhere e.g.

File_001.png
Old 28-09-2018, 19:04   #71
General Maximus
Ran Away

Subsequent to the previous conversations in this thread the router I use downstairs as a wireless access point died last week so I have had to replace it. I bought an Asus AC53 which arrived today. The gui is exactly the same as my AC68u minus the advanced options but I put it in access point mode and hooked it up in a few mins and it works a treat. It is a great router for the price. The only you need to beware of is that it wouldn't make a great primary router because it only has 2 lan/switch ports and not the traditional 5. It works out fine for me because I only needed 2 anyway for where it is but a primary router it ain't good.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:49   #72
crowarth
cf.member

Services: Voom Fibre Option 3, 13 static IP addresses
crowarth is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to crowarth

I use a pfSense install (virtualized) with a Meraki MR33 access point and a few Meraki MS220-8P POE gigabit switches (the latter devices obtained free via their webinar program, with 3 year licences on each device).

Granted, after the free 3y licence is up, it'll cost a fair bit, but for me 3 years is a decent enough time with the kit before I ditch it for something less expensive.

The VM for pfSense is running off the free VMWare ESXi hypervisor which in turn is running off an old computer with 16GB of RAM. Total cost almost nothing as it's what I had lying around.
crowarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 20:54   #73
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

I bought the Netgear Nighthawk X6.

Its a triband router.

The only issue I had was 2 devices had the same IP.