Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Loyalty card software to stop panic buying?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

PC not booting up

Old 15-03-2020, 17:29   #1
tcavanagh
cf.member

tcavanagh is an unknown quantity at this point
PC not booting up

Good evening

Hope someone can offer me some advice.
I have a tower PC which had a few issues connecting to the internet. I’ve gone and purchased a new motherboard, CPU and memory. When installed and running there is nothing on the monitor, just blank and the monitor trying to find a source. I’ve tried different monitor and connecting to a Laptop, still nothing.

The new items are:
• CPU – AMD A8-9600
• Motherboard – Gigabyte A320M-H
• Memory – Corsair 2X4GB Vengeance LPX
Powered by – OCZ 600W

I’ve just connected the power and HDMI lead to the monitor to the above items, I would expect to see it booting to BIOS at least.
Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks Tom
tcavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-03-2020, 17:36   #2
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: PC not booting up

Sounds like the system is struggling to find the graphics output. Are you using a separate graphics card or the on-board output?
Old 15-03-2020, 17:36   #3
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

CPU, case and PSU fans running?
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 17:53   #4
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Best to check everything first with the case open. Make sure the various connections and things like memory are plugged in properly.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 18:04   #5
tcavanagh
cf.member

Good evening

I used the motherboard graphic card and a separate card that I know works. All fans spinning. I've tried with everything in the case and also hooked it up outside of the case. Apart from the CPU, motherboard and memory it ran OK yesterday without a problem. I would expect to reach the BIOS. The only components connected are Main Power Connector, +12v connector, CPU fan, HDMI, front header and memory (with single and double sticks).
Old 15-03-2020, 18:19   #6
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Sounds like the system is struggling to find the graphics output. Are you using a separate graphics card or the on-board output?

I would agree it looks like a graphics problem.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 18:50   #7
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Might be worth trying another hdmi cable and checking for bent pins on the headers on the graphics card and monitor.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 14:20   #8
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Check that you have connected the monitor to the correct video output. Then flick through the monitor modes.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 20:11   #9
tcavanagh
cf.member

Thank you for all of your replies. I think I've found the problem, not all memory modules will run on all CPU's. This is something that I've never come across before. In the past I've built countless PC's, so this must be a new thing. Anyway I have contacted Corsair to see it it will run on AMD, but it looks as though its only for Intel chips.
Old 18-03-2020, 20:16   #10
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcavanagh View Post
Thank you for all of your replies. I think I've found the problem, not all memory modules will run on all CPU's. This is something that I've never come across before. In the past I've built countless PC's, so this must be a new thing. Anyway I have contacted Corsair to see it it will run on AMD, but it looks as though its only for Intel chips.
Should've checked first.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Catego...tab-tech-specs
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 20:18   #11
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

WOW! that's some strange news, I can understand RAM being incompatible with the Mobo, but not the CPU

Be sure to let us know the reply

edit: just seen post by Pip
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 20:23   #12
tcavanagh
cf.member

Never thought about checking memory compatibility as I never had to do that before, unless my mind is fading.

Anyway, an expensive mistake.