Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes to Virgin TV (2020)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Changes to Virgin TV (2020)

Old 29-12-2019, 02:36   #16
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2020)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Exactly what I do most of the time, also means you can skip half-time.

With a recorder (most people have one) who needs streaming?
Which brings me back to the glorious question what goes streaming bring to the table that a PVR doesn't?
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-12-2019, 09:06   #17
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

The biggest difference for me between streaming catchup and using a DVR - is the DVR always allows skipping over the ads.
Also, streaming is still not 100% coverage of recent programmes.

I see those watching live sport on streaming are often complaining that they are receiving notifications or social media updates of score updates - before their live stream has shown it!

Last edited by ozsat; 29-12-2019 at 09:50.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 12:39   #18
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
New episodes of Law & Order:SVU are already on Sky Witness, Chicago Med is moving there too. I have no idea about the rest.

---------- Post added at 20:16 ---------- Previous post was at 19:48 ----------

Though in the most I agree, and I usually don't watch linear live, it sometimes makes little difference. Aside from watching any time you feel like, the other main reason for watching on-demand shows is no advertising breaks.

The problem there is many on-demand services still have adverts and they are unusually unskippable, so at least linear channels you can record them and high speed fast-forward them. On-demand on VM often has ads and there is only one speed to the fast-forward, and sometimes the playback crashes and you have to start again.

So if the on-demand option available has ads, there's one less advantage so live watching. So impatient people will just watch live.

If it were me I'd record the linear broacast, and start watching it once it's recorded enough to skip ads without catching up. I sometimes even do it with live sport, if it's on an ad-channel.
I find it frustrating to watch the ITV Hub, All4 and My5 due to the ads, and that is why the only streaming services we watch are Netflix, Amazon Prime, BBC i-Player, Now TV and Apple+.

All the other programmes we watch are recorded. So therefore, we do not encounter the kind of problems you find with ad-supported streaming.

---------- Post added at 11:39 ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Which brings me back to the glorious question what goes streaming bring to the table that a PVR doesn't?
If you watch programmes from a non-ad supported streaming service, there are two advantages over the PVR. Firstly, you have a huge wealth of programmes to choose from, whereas your PVR has limited disk space. Secondly, although you can fast forward through the advertisements with programmes recorded from the commercial channels, you don't even have to do that with SVOD or the i-Player. Just press play and no further interventions are necessary.

The only issue I have with VOD is the fact that programmes can be withdrawn before you have the chance to watch them. This is a particular problem with Now TV.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 15:09   #19
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I find it frustrating to watch the ITV Hub, All4 and My5 due to the ads, and that is why the only streaming services we watch are Netflix, Amazon Prime, BBC i-Player, Now TV and Apple+.

All the other programmes we watch are recorded. So therefore, we do not encounter the kind of problems you find with ad-supported streaming.

---------- Post added at 11:39 ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 ----------

If you watch programmes from a non-ad supported streaming service, there are two advantages over the PVR. Firstly, you have a huge wealth of programmes to choose from, whereas your PVR has limited disk space. Secondly, although you can fast forward through the advertisements with programmes recorded from the commercial channels, you don't even have to do that with SVOD or the i-Player. Just press play and no further interventions are necessary.

The only issue I have with VOD is the fact that programmes can be withdrawn before you have the chance to watch them. This is a particular problem with Now TV.
That is a major issue for me too.

Several times I have missed the first 1 or 2 episodes of a series, been asked by friends if I have watched it, downloaded them from IPlayer only to find they have disappeared before I have time to watch them.

On other occasions they have gone from IPlayer before I find out about them.

Really not sure why this happens as when I record them from EPG they stay for ever - who decided on the arbitrary time limit?
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 17:37   #20
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
That is a major issue for me too.

Several times I have missed the first 1 or 2 episodes of a series, been asked by friends if I have watched it, downloaded them from IPlayer only to find they have disappeared before I have time to watch them.

On other occasions they have gone from IPlayer before I find out about them.

Really not sure why this happens as when I record them from EPG they stay for ever - who decided on the arbitrary time limit?
The i-Player was really only a catch up service, but latterly they have successfully received permission to keep programmes on there for a year, despite objections from Sky and others.

I am sure this will sort itself out. I believe the plan is for material to stay on the player for the first 12 months and then migrate over to Britbox.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 13:23   #21
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

First week of Paramount Network in the new format:

The A-Team
Knight Rider
Airwolf
Street Hawk
Spartacus: Blood and Sand
Arrow
Suits
Police Interceptors
Traffic Cops
Trucking Hell
Bouncers
Car Crash TV
High Alert
Criminals: Caught on Camera
Can't Pay? We'll Take it Away!
Winter Road Rescue
World's Deadliest Weather
World's Toughest Prisons

It's very clearly just 5Spike under a new name.

I don't have anything against the content, as 5Spike has been very successful at appealing to the old Bravo demographic, and Spike is a good brand for that, but there's no way that these shows should be associated with the Paramount brand in the UK.
SonicMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 14:27   #22
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMaster View Post
First week of Paramount Network in the new format:

The A-Team
Knight Rider
Airwolf
Street Hawk
Spartacus: Blood and Sand
Arrow
Suits
Police Interceptors
Traffic Cops
Trucking Hell
Bouncers
Car Crash TV
High Alert
Criminals: Caught on Camera
Can't Pay? We'll Take it Away!
Winter Road Rescue
World's Deadliest Weather
World's Toughest Prisons

It's very clearly just 5Spike under a new name.

I don't have anything against the content, as 5Spike has been very successful at appealing to the old Bravo demographic, and Spike is a good brand for that, but there's no way that these shows should be associated with the Paramount brand in the UK.
The only shows that are transferring from Paramount Network UK on that list are Suits and Arrow.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 15:08   #23
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light

The channel 'Box Upfront' on channel 330 looks like it won't be returning after the 'Boxmas' Takeover
From 6am on Wed 8th January it says
This channel is no longer available
ScottishSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 16:47   #24
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishSteve View Post
The channel 'Box Upfront' on channel 330 looks like it won't be returning after the 'Boxmas' Takeover
From 6am on Wed 8th January it says
This channel is no longer available
As reported by me on December 28th (But I did forgot the channel name).
https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...8&postcount=14
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 17:28   #25
trueblood
cf.member

Services: TV XL Phone M BB XL 200 MB V6 x 2
trueblood will become famous soon enoughtrueblood will become famous soon enoughtrueblood will become famous soon enough

Looking at next year's radio times for the 7th of Jan and some Ch 5 numbers are changing.
Ch 5 HD 105
Ch 5 SD 154
Paramount HD 150
Paramount SD 187
Now this is the radio times so don't know how accurate this may be.
trueblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 17:31   #26
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblood View Post
Looking at next year's radio times for the 7th of Jan and some Ch 5 numbers are changing.
Ch 5 HD 105
Ch 5 SD 154
Paramount HD 150
Paramount SD 187
Now this is the radio times so don't know how accurate this may be.
What about 5Star and 5USA also Channel 5 +1?

Do you also see anything about Paramount +1?

Also Thanks for information.

So that

Channel 5 HD - 105
Parmount HD - 150
Channel 5 SD - 154
Paramount SD - 187

Last edited by Media Boy UK; 30-12-2019 at 17:48.
Old 30-12-2019, 17:32   #27
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

In all EPGs - Paramount is moving up to replace 5Spike.
Old 30-12-2019, 17:39   #28
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
In all EPGs - Paramount is moving up to replace 5Spike.
But Channel 150 is being use for Channel 5 HD on Virgin Media right now.

Radio Times is reporting that 5Spike Channel number will be use for Channel 5 SD Channel on Virgin Media.
Old 30-12-2019, 18:03   #29
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Seems different places were told different things
Old 30-12-2019, 18:52   #30
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
But Channel 150 is being use for Channel 5 HD on Virgin Media right now.

Radio Times is reporting that 5Spike Channel number will be use for Channel 5 SD Channel on Virgin Media.
Maybe the Channel 5 SD and Paramount SD services will be removed completely just like BBC 1/2 & STV where applicable as it is a single feed service with no regional variants for advertising.
ScottishSteve is offline   Reply With Quote