Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Why not add Picture In Picture mode?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Why not add Picture In Picture mode?

Old 25-03-2020, 20:20   #1
TheWatcher
cf.member

Services: M125 BB, Anytime Chatter, V6 (Maxit TV)
TheWatcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Why not add Picture In Picture mode?

Picture-In-Picture would be useful on the V6. Given that there are two unused tuners on the box, would Virgin Media consider doing this?

Sometimes you want to change the channel during commercial break, but you're not exactly sure when the break is over. PIP would help with this. That's just an example. It would be a great feature.

What do you think?
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-03-2020, 20:31   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Why not add Picture In Picture mode?

All core feature on the V6 are part of the TiVo system, so would be something TiVo themselves would need to add. Considering TiVo have moved on to their 'Hydra' version of their UI rather than continue add major features to the version that's on the V6, I can't see that happening.

Have to be honest, it's quite a niche feature for a PVR with On Demand access anyway. If you think you might miss the start of something, then simply record it or watch it from Catch Up
Old 25-03-2020, 20:45   #3
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

I'd rather my TV did it. My last one did and it meant I could game and have long sports events on simultaneously.

I can't see myself using it with multiple TV channels very often, if at all.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 20:54   #4
TheWatcher
cf.member

Services: M125 BB, Anytime Chatter, V6 (Maxit TV)
TheWatcher is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
All core feature on the V6 are part of the TiVo system, so would be something TiVo themselves would need to add. Considering TiVo have moved on to their 'Hydra' version of their UI rather than continue add major features to the version that's on the V6, I can't see that happening.

Have to be honest, it's quite a niche feature for a PVR with On Demand access anyway. If you think you might miss the start of something, then simply record it or watch it from Catch Up
I see what you're saying, but PIP is hardly a niche feature and I was only giving an example of how it could be useful. Another example would be just to see what's on another channel without changing your current one (for example, to see which music video is being played on a music channel). The EPG only gives a general description.
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 21:55   #5
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
I'd rather my TV did it. My last one did and it meant I could game and have long sports events on simultaneously.

I can't see myself using it with multiple TV channels very often, if at all.
It's invaluable for football matches at the end of the season, or the last simultaneous group games in a World/Uefa Cup.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 22:29   #6
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
It's invaluable for football matches at the end of the season, or the last simultaneous group games in a World/Uefa Cup.
As someone who supports a small club in the Scottish Premiership, it's hardly something I have to worry about.
Old 07-07-2022, 19:58   #7
hoagy_ytfc
cf.member

hoagy_ytfc is on a distinguished roadhoagy_ytfc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
As someone who supports a small club in the Scottish Premiership
Rangers?

hoagy_ytfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 21:43   #8
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoagy_ytfc View Post
Rangers?

No. *Shudder*
Old 08-07-2022, 22:36   #9
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Sky Q does it. You can scroll through channels and after a second the preview image turns into a live pip of that channel. One of very few things the Sky Q box does better than the V6.

But it really isn't hugely useful outside of being able to join a channel that isn't showing adverts. Actually being able to choose a channel to put in a bigger inset window, with audio going to a separate output like bluetooth, now that would be good. Many TV's can do it already, but they tend to not have the breadth of channels a cable/sky box might have so it does limit choice.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote