Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Election 2019, Week 1

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Election 2019, Week 1
View Poll Results: Your voting intention at this stage of the campaign:
Labour 7 14.58%
Conservative 20 41.67%
Liberal Democrat 8 16.67%
UKIP 0 0%
Brexit Party 3 6.25%
Green 0 0%
Change UK 0 0%
Plaid Cymru 1 2.08%
SNP 1 2.08%
Irish nationalist 1 2.08%
Irish unionist 0 0%
Other 1 2.08%
Abstaining 2 4.17%
Ineligible 0 0%
Undecided 4 8.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 12:44   #241
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Re: Election 2019, Week 1

General Election Nowcast (05/11):

CON: 368 (-10), 37.8% (+1.2)
LAB: 184 (+12), 26.9% (+2.4)
SNP: 50 (=), 3.2% (=)
LDM: 25 (-3), 15.9% (-2.0)

CON Working Majority of 91 (-20).

See the graphics for the full results.
Changes w/ 29/10.

Support me on http://ko-fi.com/electionmapsuk
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2019, 12:47   #242
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Conclusion

On a personal note, I’ve found it quite difficult how it has become accepted the conventional wisdom that somehow Labour economic mismanagement was responsible for the great recession. It is a bit worrying how the banks have got off very lightly with the blame rather disingenuously put onto this vague idea of Labour economic mismanagement.
Agreed

I have no affiliation to any political persuasion, and think most politicians deserve to be hung drawn and quartered, alas, much like the opposing thumb, we would be much worse off without them.
The banks did end up with a 'get out of jail free' card though.
Old 05-11-2019, 16:31   #243
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Philip Hammond QUITS as an MP -

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...-corbyn-labour
Old 05-11-2019, 17:01   #244
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
What complete and utter nonsence, jfman. You really do enjoy trying to prove that black is white, don't you?

Here's a nice, easy to read report which shows your comments for the mistruths they are.

https://www.ft.com/content/928f7a7c-...d-04f350474d62

The UK government’s borrowing hit a 17-year low during the past financial year, according to preliminary figures published by the Office for National Statistics on Wednesday. The government spent £24.7bn more than it received between April 2018 and March 2019, down from £41.8bn during the 2017-18 financial year. It was the lowest annual borrowing since 2001-02. The government has been trying to reduce the public sector shortfall since it reached close to a tenth of national income in 2010.

Tax revenues from high-earning City workers collapsed after the 2008 financial crisis while spending on stimulus measures and benefits increased. Borrowing has recently fallen faster than predicted by the Office for Budget Responsibility, the UK’s fiscal watchdog, thanks to rapid growth in tax receipts. Despite sluggish overall growth, stable employment and an increase in wages has helped support both income tax revenues and value added tax receipts, said John Hawksworth, chief economist at advisory firm PwC. “Economic growth has therefore been relatively ‘tax-rich’ over the past year, which has played a key role in bringing the budget deficit down to more sustainable levels,” he said.

Income and value added tax receipts rose 5.8 per cent and 5.6 per cent respectively during the financial year compared with the previous 12 months, while revenue from capital gains tax was 18.6 per cent higher. However, an increase in borrowing during the month of March itself compared with the previous year meant that full-year borrowing was above the £22.8bn predicted by the OBR at the Spring Statement last month.

In their monthly commentary on the figures, the OBR said: “The figures typically take some months to settle down and revisions can be significant.” Borrowing has often been lowered by £3bn in subsequent estimates. Recommended Tax evasion and avoidance UK steps up probe of tax ‘underpayment' by US groups “The year-over-year increase in public borrowing is not a sign that the economy has shifted down a gear,” said Samuel Tombs, chief UK economist at Pantheon Macroeconomics, a consultancy. “The jump in borrowing compared to the previous March entirely reflected a £1.8bn increase in central government net investment, which is volatile and will boost the economy.”

The ONS said there were “notable” increases in government spending on goods and services during March as well as higher capital spending on infrastructure. Government debt fell for the second consecutive year as a percentage of national income during the past financial year, from 84.6 per cent of gross domestic product to 83.1 per cent. “The historically high deficits since 2008 mean that government debt is almost 50 per cent of national income higher than it was before the financial crisis, and will remain significantly above those levels for the foreseeable future,” said Thomas Pope, research economist at the Institute for Fiscal Studies.

Doesn't sound like mismanagement of the economy to me.
You are confusing borrowing - total debt, with net borrowing in a fiscal period also known as a defecit.

I'm trying to prove black is black and white is white to a blind man, it would appear.

The UK national debt has never been higher in straightforward Great British Pounds.
Old 05-11-2019, 17:46   #245
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
You are confusing borrowing - total debt, with net borrowing in a fiscal period also known as a defecit.

I'm trying to prove black is black and white is white to a blind man, it would appear.

The UK national debt has never been higher in straightforward Great British Pounds.
I am not confusing anything, but you look plenty confused to me.
Old 05-11-2019, 18:07   #246
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
I am not confusing anything, but you look plenty confused to me.
National debt has never been higher.

We are running a defecit.

Two statements of absolute fact.
Old 05-11-2019, 18:07   #247
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

This thread has nothing to do with the Grenfell Fire - Stay on topic.
Old 05-11-2019, 19:16   #248
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
National debt has never been higher.

We are running a defecit.

Two statements of absolute fact.
I can see you are even more confused than I thought. I don't think anyone disagrees with your statement. Are you arguing with yourself?

I would add to those 'absolute statements of fact' that the deficit has been reduced significantly and it was covering that deficit that has led to the increase in the national debt.

I would further add that Labour did not cause the world-wide financial crisis. Of course they didn't. But they are responsible for the failure to prudently keep money aside for emergencies. Had they done so (and not spent all the proceeds from the sale of our gold reserves), there would have been no need for the austerity that the Conservatives had to impose to avoid sinking with the likes of Greece.

These, too, are factual statements that give your factual statements a bit of context.

I am sure that there will be arguments galore about this during the election campaign, and around in circles we shall go.

---------- Post added at 19:16 ---------- Previous post was at 19:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
You have a very simplistic view of economic history and who is responsible for what. Here is a very interesting article disproving the myth that Labour is responsible for austerity:

Can Labour be blamed for the economic crisis?

Well, you would say that, wouldn't you? But wait a minute, did you actually miss the most significant admission of Labour's ineptitude in this piece? Even the author had to admit:

One argument is that if the UK had run a balanced budget in the 2000s, public sector debt would have been lower and the UK would have had more room for manoeuvre in pursuing expansionary fiscal policy when the recession hit and we needed expansionary fiscal policy.

There is some credence to this, with a balanced budget and lower public sector debt to start with, governments may have felt greater confidence to borrow even more in the recession – when the UK economy needed expansionary fiscal policy.

Thank you for the confirmation of what I have been saying all this time.
Old 05-11-2019, 19:19   #249
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
I can see you are even more confused than I thought. I don't think anyone disagrees with your statement. Are you arguing with yourself?

I would add to those 'absolute statements of fact' that the deficit has been reduced significantly and it was covering that deficit that has led to the increase in the national debt.

I would further add that Labour did not cause the world-wide financial crisis. Of course they didn't. But they are responsible for the failure to prudently keep money aside for emergencies. Had they done so (and not spent all the proceeds from the sale of our gold reserves), there would have been no need for the austerity that the Conservatives had to impose to avoid sinking with the likes of Greece.

These, too, are factual statements that give your factual statements a bit of context.

I am sure that there will be arguments galore about this during the election campaign, and around in circles we shall go.
There will be arguments galore if you continue to portray facts out of context, often misunderstanding the relevance they have relative to the points you are trying to make.

The Conservatives, after almost ten years in power, still haven’t balanced the books despite selling off the Royal Mail on the cheap and reducing public services.

At no point was the UK ever at risk of becoming Greece.
Old 05-11-2019, 20:18   #250
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

[I would further add that Labour did not cause the world-wide financial crisis. Of course they didn't. But they are responsible for the failure to prudently keep money aside for emergencies.]

I would just like to add that the greedy Banks/Bankers should have kept money aside for emergencies than we would not have had a financial crisis in the first place.
Old 05-11-2019, 20:52   #251
jfman
Architect of Ideas

In fairness to the bankers, all capitalists given absence of adequate regulation will take the piss to extract as much money from the transactions they are involved in. Once you are playing with someone else's money (creditors, pension funds) or are underwritten by the Government you might as well make hay while the sun shines.

---------- Post added at 20:52 ---------- Previous post was at 20:40 ----------

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/our...our-democracy/

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

Last edited by jfman; 05-11-2019 at 20:46.
Old 05-11-2019, 22:15   #252
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

---------- Post added at 19:16 ---------- Previous post was at 19:01 ----------

Well, you would say that, wouldn't you? But wait a minute, did you actually miss the most significant admission of Labour's ineptitude in this piece? Even the author had to admit:

One argument is that if the UK had run a balanced budget in the 2000s, public sector debt would have been lower and the UK would have had more room for manoeuvre in pursuing expansionary fiscal policy when the recession hit and we needed expansionary fiscal policy.

There is some credence to this, with a balanced budget and lower public sector debt to start with, governments may have felt greater confidence to borrow even more in the recession – when the UK economy needed expansionary fiscal policy.

Thank you for the confirmation of what I have been saying all this time.
You appear to have accidentally missed out the following paragraphs, which clarified his position...

Quote:
However, it is also worth being sceptical. Public finances in the UK were very good in 2007; by comparison with the past 100 years, we were near a record low.

The UK did have room for expansionary fiscal policy in 2008, bond yields were falling – there was never any fiscal crisis in the UK.

The lurch to austerity post-2010 was unnecessary driven more by Micawber economics and the strong political appeal of austerity. My feeling is that even if the UK had run a balanced budget in 2000-07, there would still be the same strong calls for austerity. People who think £180bn is ‘too much borrowing’ – would probably think – £80bn borrowing is too much as well.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 05-11-2019, 23:18   #253
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
You appear to have accidentally missed out the following paragraphs, which clarified his position...
OB's tory rose tinted glasses are welded on good they will never ever come off

---------- Post added at 23:18 ---------- Previous post was at 23:12 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
General Election Nowcast (05/11):

CON: 368 (-10), 37.8% (+1.2)
LAB: 184 (+12), 26.9% (+2.4)
SNP: 50 (=), 3.2% (=)
LDM: 25 (-3), 15.9% (-2.0)

CON Working Majority of 91 (-20).

See the graphics for the full results.
Changes w/ 29/10.

Support me on http://ko-fi.com/electionmapsuk
were they not supposed to get a majority of close to 200 last time and look what happened be same again IMHO
Old 05-11-2019, 23:54   #254
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

More news on that slur story against Jo Swinson.

How a misleading story about Lib Dem leader Jo Swinson went viral
Old 06-11-2019, 00:22   #255
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
More news on that slur story against Jo Swinson.

How a misleading story about Lib Dem leader Jo Swinson went viral
There are two 'stories', one is probably true, one is probably false, but how does anyone know which is which?

Not that it really matters, floating pro EU voters will probably vote for them anyway, and anti EU will give them a miss.

The only people that it may influence are those who don't have a clue what to do, and believe everything they want to believe
Closed Thread