Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Linear is old tech - on demand is the future
Closed Thread

Old 18-12-2018, 12:04   #436
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

I wonder what the overlap is (customers who have pay-tv and those who pay for streaming services)?

For instance, I have VM and Amazon Prime, and my daughter has VM, Amazon Prime, and Netflix.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Advertisement
Old 18-12-2018, 12:36   #437
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

I imagine 14 million of them are on the Prime free trial
Old 18-12-2018, 14:38   #438
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I wonder what the overlap is (customers who have pay-tv and those who pay for streaming services)?

For instance, I have VM and Amazon Prime, and my daughter has VM, Amazon Prime, and Netflix.
We have all three as well, plus Now TV for Sky Atlantic content mainly.
Old 18-12-2018, 16:23   #439
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
We have all three as well, plus Now TV for Sky Atlantic content mainly.

I notice Amazon have charged me for Prime on my Recent statement. Not sure how they did this, it is possibly from a purchase thru Amazon in September.

I would state, I never asked for the free trial, or signed up to Prime (in fact I have put purchased something else in the interim which would have been free delivery with Prime membership.

So I presume I am one of the majority, despite never having streamed anything - false statistics imho.

I wonder how many others are included in the streamers as a result of being a Prime member?

I will be ringing them to sort it out.
Old 18-12-2018, 16:49   #440
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

I would imagine all Prime members are included in the statistics, as they can stream the Amazon Prime content (and Amazon Music) - I initially took Prime because I could get it half price, but since September, I have paid full price (and happy to).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 18-12-2018, 17:31   #441
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
I notice Amazon have charged me for Prime on my Recent statement. Not sure how they did this, it is possibly from a purchase thru Amazon in September.

I would state, I never asked for the free trial, or signed up to Prime
They have recently changed the purchase checkout process, and it's all too easy to sign up for a trial. What used to be the "Confirm purchase" button now signs you up for the trial. You now have to click the "Don't gain Unlimited One-Day Delivery" link (which isn't a button).
Old 18-12-2018, 18:42   #442
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I would imagine all Prime members are included in the statistics, as they can stream the Amazon Prime content (and Amazon Music) - I initially took Prime because I could get it half price, but since September, I have paid full price (and happy to).
Well worth it in a household where several family members are using it on a regular basis.

Last edited by denphone; 18-12-2018 at 18:48. Reason: Change of word.
Old 18-12-2018, 18:50   #443
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
They have recently changed the purchase checkout process, and it's all too easy to sign up for a trial. What used to be the "Confirm purchase" button now signs you up for the trial. You now have to click the "Don't gain Unlimited One-Day Delivery" link (which isn't a button).
I can see how my wife might have fell into that trap, as it was her purchase that seemed to have started all this, but how it got onto my credit card is beyond me unless they used the card last used with the email address?

Last edited by Hugh; 18-12-2018 at 19:23.
Old 18-12-2018, 20:10   #444
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
but how it got onto my credit card is beyond me unless they used the card last used with the email address?
That seems quite possible. Check your account settings.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...ewal-automatic
Old 18-12-2018, 20:40   #445
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
There goes another one. TV5 Monde on Sky and Virgin Media being abandoned in favour of on demand programming.

https://www.a516digital.com/2018/11/...to-online.html

It is not yet clear whether the on demand programming will still be available on Sky or Virgin Media, but it sounds as if we might only be able to access it via the internet.
The reason for this is more likely to be licensing issues caused by Brexit.
Old 19-12-2018, 08:28   #446
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
The reason for this is more likely to be licensing issues caused by Brexit.
I wouldn't rule it out completely, but that's not what they said was the reason. They said 'changing viewer habits' were to blame.
Old 19-12-2018, 11:34   #447
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

TV5 didn't have an Ofcom licence and relied on its French licence to broadcast to the rest of the EU, including until now the UK. Most channels affected by this are the other way around (based in London and licenced in the UK but broadcasting to other EU countries).
Old 13-01-2019, 17:08   #448
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Interesting items here detailing likely developments in 2019 and beyond. The golden days of streaming services has begun.

http://www.csimagazine.com/csi/2019-...redictions.php

http://www.csimagazine.com/csi/2019-...ons-part-2.php
Old 13-01-2019, 18:51   #449
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Well, considering both of those articles are predictions I’d say “begun” may be premature. As Eleven Sports are learning it’s a crowded market already and do consumers who are already paying out substantial amounts really want to pay more for frivolous content just because it’s there.

Economic data in the USA and the eurozone pointing towards likely recession won’t help either. While the technologies will be utilised it’s far more likely to be the incumbents who benefit from this.
Old 13-01-2019, 23:05   #450
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Well, considering both of those articles are predictions I’d say “begun” may be premature. As Eleven Sports are learning it’s a crowded market already and do consumers who are already paying out substantial amounts really want to pay more for frivolous content just because it’s there.

Economic data in the USA and the eurozone pointing towards likely recession won’t help either. While the technologies will be utilised it’s far more likely to be the incumbents who benefit from this.
It has begun. Netflix, Amazon Prime, Starz Play...

I see your cup is half empty again, old chap!
Closed Thread