Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Please can you recommend a wireless router?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Please can you recommend a wireless router?

Old 23-09-2007, 11:36   #1
Elsie
Inactive

Elsie is an unknown quantity at this point
Please can you recommend a wireless router?

Dear CF members,

This is inly my 2nd post so please be gentle with me! I've just found out that my router, a Netgear RP114, is capping my Virgin BB speed at about 7mb. If I remove the router and have a direct connection I get upto 19mb ... so it's time to retire the router for something faster. The question is, what?

My current setup is:

Modem - NTL:250
ISP - Virgin 20mb service
Router - Netgear RP114 wired
Rest of the house - 3 Devolo Homeplugs for the kids X-Boxes and PC's

I would like to get a wireless router (not to replace the Homeplugs - they're very fast, secure and ultra reliable) to replace the Netgear, but I want one that will:

a) Have at least 4 10/100 wired ports (for my office PC's and Homeplug connections)
b) Work well with 20mb Virgin and allows full speed
c) Allow connections from our Nintendo Wii and kids DS lites

I know it's a tall order but can someone recommend a wireless router that would fit the bill?

Thanks very much in advance for any / all advice!

Elsie
Elsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-09-2007, 11:43   #2
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Please can you recommend a wireless router?

thats the norm , dont think youll ever get full speed with a router
Old 23-09-2007, 11:54   #3
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

I'm running through a D-Link DGL-4300 router. That gives me 4 wired ports plus wireless connection.
With a multithreaded downloader such as Grabit I can max out my 20Mb through the wired connection with no problem. (barring peak times of course when nobody gets max)
It also has gigabit LAN ports so I can run my internal network at a very satisfactory speed.
I'm not certain that this model is still available, but it's bound to have a later equivalent.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2007, 11:54   #4
Eric55
Inactive

Eric55 will become famous soon enoughEric55 will become famous soon enoughEric55 will become famous soon enough

I have got a Linksys WRT54GS www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/63763 and I get 18 to 19mb speeds also got a Wii and DS connected.
Eric55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2007, 14:33   #5
Honeymonster
Inactive

Honeymonster is an unknown quantity at this point

I use Netgear WPN824. Get the full 20Meg throughput. Works with our Nintendo DSes and the Wii. 4 wired ports. I'm happy with it.
Honeymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2007, 15:22   #6
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I've got the Netgear WGT624 no problems
Old 25-09-2007, 11:34   #7
Elsie
Inactive

Thanks all

I have a spanking new Netgear WGT624 sitting on my desk after it arrived from Amazon this morning. I'll get it setup tonight and see if I can get higer speeds.
Old 25-09-2007, 23:58   #8
Elsie
Inactive

Well, after struggling for a few hours with 100-200k connection (seriiously, it was that bad!), I've now installed the Netgear WGT624 (V3) and she's flying:

19mb downloads

1.6mb a second .... I can live with that!

The wireless option is pants, still won't reach my kitchen/dining room which is only 20 feet away. Still, that's why I'll never get rid of my Devolo homeplugs. They're the best bits of IT kit I've ever bought.

Thanks everyone for your help!