Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Project Lightning Silence...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Project Lightning Silence...

Old 23-11-2016, 22:42   #61
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough
Re: Project Lightning Silence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicTorch View Post
Thank you so much for posting this list. My area (Upton Rocks in Widnes) is on the list . Will try not to get my hopes up too much, as 'Cable My Street' is still saying 'Computer says No', but I really hope that this is a sign that Virgin Media will be heading my way sometime in the near future.

It would make sense for Virgin to expand into Upton Rocks, as their network covers properties nearby. Upton Rocks consists of a large number of homes built from the 90's onwards, probably just after one of the former cable operators cabled up most of Widnes.

After moving to Upton Rocks, I did get in touch with Virgin to ask if they would consider expanding into area. This was back in 2010, but I still have the emails. My enquiry resulted in a guy who Virgin referred to as their 'local new build officer' getting in touch with the Technical Manager at David Wilson homes. The response I received back said 'as this is a new development there may be wayleave issues affecting us gaining access for the foreseeable future.'

Since 2010, the roads and footpaths have since been adopted by the local council & Project Lightning now exists. Surely this is a good sign? Who knows, maybe my enquiry from 2010 could have helped to get Upton Rocks on the list!
One thing I can recommend doing is writing a note for your neighbours, making over a thousand copies and putting your walking boots on.

I got a minor fracture in my left foot in the process but it's healed up now.

Postcode checked recently changed to: "We're on our way..."

To be fair though, they might already have been on their way without my canvassing - but I like to think I had some effect
Onramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-11-2016, 10:38   #62
MrIca
Inactive

MrIca is on a distinguished roadMrIca is on a distinguished road

Yes it looks like the document posted the other day has been fed into the cable my street site in some way. The postcodes for those areas seem to all show "we are on our way" now.
MrIca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 12:53   #63
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onramp View Post
One thing I can recommend doing is writing a note for your neighbours, making over a thousand copies and putting your walking boots on.

I got a minor fracture in my left foot in the process but it's healed up now.

Postcode checked recently changed to: "We're on our way..."

To be fair though, they might already have been on their way without my canvassing - but I like to think I had some effect
That's the way to do it!

---------- Post added at 11:53 ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 ----------

Just been announced that FTTP customers can now get phones as well. As the VM Voice over cable product is now ready.
Old 24-11-2016, 15:36   #64
Airwaves
Inactive

Services: Sky +, Freesat, Sky Broadband Unlimited.
Airwaves is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Airwaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIca View Post
Yes it looks like the document posted the other day has been fed into the cable my street site in some way. The postcodes for those areas seem to all show "we are on our way" now.
Not saying this isn't true, but my area comes up with the same "We're on our way" comment, but where I live is absent from that list.

It's puzzling because it's not just a generic result, as when you use a postcode for somewhere remote and no where near a Virgin area, it does generate a different response - "Sorry not in the near future" etc.

The only thing happening near here is some new builds which Virgin is being installed, as big white cabinets have appeared near the roadside.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 17:25   #65
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
Not saying this isn't true, but my area comes up with the same "We're on our way" comment, but where I live is absent from that list.
Our area is not on that list either. I'm speculating a little here, but I think the list is referring to a definition of "Our Communities" that is specific to VM's Project Lightning - which could maybe therefore relate to areas considered to be "slightly remote, but near enough to the network" - and where people have already expressed some interest and are being specifically considered in November. If that's true then if residents there express more interest now, they might have a chance of moving up the queue compared to others.

Interestingly though, if, depending on demand during November, not all of those areas will end up being cabled (as Pierre hints at) then the "We're on our way" message can't be true at this stage for every one of those places, surely. This implies that these communities have until the end of November, at which point, some of them will become "We're no longer on our way"?

Last edited by Onramp; 24-11-2016 at 17:36.
Onramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 20:01   #66
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Just been announced that FTTP customers can now get phones as well. As the VM Voice over cable product is now ready.
That's the real news right there. I'm hopeful that Virgin will now drop the silly line rental requirement now that the ASA have bitch slapped ISPs for hiding that charge.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 21:24   #67
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
That's the real news right there. I'm hopeful that Virgin will now drop the silly line rental requirement now that the ASA have bitch slapped ISPs for hiding that charge.
Well that makes alot of money, you can hardly drop a few million off your budget at a stroke
Old 24-11-2016, 21:28   #68
MrIca
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post

It's puzzling because it's not just a generic result, as when you use a postcode for somewhere remote and no where near a Virgin area, it does generate a different response - "Sorry not in the near future" etc.

The only thing happening near here is some new builds which Virgin is being installed, as big white cabinets have appeared near the roadside.
It seems to be the case for Wirral postcodes. But that's all I've checked.

Any postcode I put in from a part of Wirral on that list gives me the "on our way" comment and postcodes for areas not on the list that currently don't have VM, say "not in the near future".

I should add, I live near a Virgin hubsite and am surrounded in every direction by the network. The old part of my road even has it. But I am on a new build estate (we have been adopted by the council) and I get the "not in the near future" message. So it's definitely not generic.

Last edited by MrIca; 24-11-2016 at 21:34.
Old 24-11-2016, 21:32   #69
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollp View Post
Well that makes alot of money, you can hardly drop a few million off your budget at a stroke
I don't disagree at all, but I'd much rather just pay extra for broadband and not have to get line rental as well.

I know I can do that now, but it's "cheaper" with the line rental and that's daft. Just standardise the prices.
Old 25-11-2016, 07:46   #70
MagicTorch
Inactive

MagicTorch is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Project Lightning Silence...

Quote:
Thank you so much for posting this list. My area (Upton Rocks in Widnes) is on the list . Will try not to get my hopes up too much, as 'Cable My Street' is still saying 'Computer says No', but I really hope that this is a sign that Virgin Media will be heading my way sometime in the near future.
RESULT! As of this morning, when I enter my address on the 'Cable My Street' webpage, the answer is now 'We're are on our way...'

If anyone from VM is reading, thank you!
MagicTorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 09:47   #71
MrIca
Inactive

Quote:
RESULT! As of this morning, when I enter my address on the 'Cable My Street' webpage, the answer is now 'We're are on our way...'

If anyone from VM is reading, thank you!
I wouldn't get too excited. Half of the borough of Wirral (which I appreciate you've probably never heard of but I use as an example) is showing that message. That's 20-30,000 houses. Highly unlikely they'll all be cabled. As Pierre said above only the places that get enough interest will be done.
Old 25-11-2016, 11:28   #72
Kushan

Quote:
I don't disagree at all, but I'd much rather just pay extra for broadband and not have to get line rental as well.

I know I can do that now, but it's "cheaper" with the line rental and that's daft. Just standardise the prices.
Just to add to this: "60% only take a land line to get broadband"

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...broadband.html
Old 25-11-2016, 11:49   #73
MrIca
Inactive

Quote:
Just to add to this: "60% only take a land line to get broadband"

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...broadband.html
That won't surprise anyone that works in this industry though.
Old 25-11-2016, 16:35   #74
Kushan

I don't think it'll surprise anyone that's ever bought broadband.
Old 25-11-2016, 20:15   #75
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one

Quote:

Agree and this will happen, but no doubt most people will expect to pay no extra at all