Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 14-08-2008, 20:40   #14056
tdadyslexia
Inactive

Services: Cable Modem 60MB 2 TiVo Box's one, 1TB the other 500GB Plus Phone from NTL
tdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonglet View Post
Has anyone queried Virgin media's terms and conditions yet on vm if not i will do just since the virgin media name rebranding in feb of 2007 they slipped this in.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html...ble/terms.html

Section G

# You must give us promptly and accurately all the information which may be needed so that we and Virgin Media Payments can perform our respective obligations under this agreement. You must also tell us immediately if any of your details change.
# By having the services we provide installed in your home and/or by using them you are giving us your consent to use your personal information together with other information for the purposes of providing you with our services, service information and updates, administration, credit scoring, customer services, training, tracking use of our services (including processing call, usage, billing, viewing and interactive data), profiling your usage and purchasing preferences for so long as you are a customer and for as long as is necessary for these specified purposes after you terminate your services. We may occasionally use third parties to process your personal information in the ways outlined above. These third parties are permitted to use the data only in accordance with our instructions.

Anyone here from virgin media who can expalin what the handling of profiling your usage and purchasing preferences relates too.
Specificaly why do virgin media want to know what i buy online and why and who deals with it?, i hope its not phorm because there not part of vm group.

(I think this is on topic and might be slipped in for phorm trials of 2007 feel fee to move it to a sepearte post if this is too offtopic mods - Profiling is such a key word for phorm in everything they try to do).
With me been Dyslexic I don't tend to read T&C's I can not stand to listen to my Text Reader for 1.5 hours.
Advertisement
Old 14-08-2008, 20:54   #14057
Green Disease
Inactive

Green Disease is an unknown quantity at this point

Just watched something on Channel 4 news about 19:30, regarding the government is to launch an initiative at the Labour party conference. Think I caught the gist of it, it wants 1 million children who are in poverty to receive a laptop, part of this is to give them broadband access. They have been in talks with Microsoft and BT.

Hmmmmm another reason for the government to bury their heads in the sand?
Old 14-08-2008, 21:00   #14058
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Disease View Post
Just watched something on Channel 4 news about 19:30, regarding the government is to launch an initiative at the Labour party conference. Think I caught the gist of it, it wants 1 million children who are in poverty to receive a laptop, part of this is to give them broadband access. They have been in talks with Microsoft and BT.

All the more reason for us not to, we don't want the next generation saddled with this..
Old 14-08-2008, 21:04   #14059
phormwatch
Inactive

phormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Yeah, that will work. Maybe 1% of them will start up internet businesses.

They couldn't just, you know, like give them tax relief, could they?
Old 14-08-2008, 21:05   #14060
Tarquin L-Smythe
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband BT Vision Sky
Tarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about themTarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about themTarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about themTarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about them

Spent the day at court and inphormed my barrister she said she will have a look at all the links when she gets back to chambers.
Old 14-08-2008, 21:17   #14061
phormwatch
Inactive

phormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enough

Nice.
Old 14-08-2008, 21:29   #14062
madslug
Inactive

madslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the rough

PR team seem to be back at work.

"Privacy drive 'could slow down the internet'"
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2559...-internet.html
"It is predicted that more and more of us will try to stop our habits being followed, by turning off the "cookies" which remember which internet pages we have visited.
However, experts warn that this could cause delays in how we use many websites.
"

I think those same 'experts' should be looking at basic web standards. If they and the people who wrote the specs for website designs were more expert in those standards, there would not be so many cookies.
Old 14-08-2008, 21:38   #14063
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by madslug View Post
PR team seem to be back at work.

"Privacy drive 'could slow down the internet'"
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2559...-internet.html
"It is predicted that more and more of us will try to stop our habits being followed, by turning off the "cookies" which remember which internet pages we have visited.
However, experts warn that this could cause delays in how we use many websites.
"

I think those same 'experts' should be looking at basic web standards. If they and the people who wrote the specs for website designs were more expert in those standards, there would not be so many cookies.
slighty off topic but relevant i think

i had a phonecall from business link today asking if i would participate in a survey, on asking for more details they said i was invited to partcipate in the survey as i had clicked a link on a email relating to an article.

i informed them i dislike being tracked in this way, the person seemed bemused by the comment and then just carried on with the script, i repeated i did not like my browsing being tracked , unphased i was asked if i still wanted to continue, i said it was not relevant as i immediately closed the page without reading more than the first line of the article, i got, "thankyou for your time 'click' "

wonder how that went down

peter
Old 14-08-2008, 21:40   #14064
lardycake
Inactive

lardycake is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I'm sure you are right. Nothing surprises me any more.

BT & Microsoft + HMG, what a combination of ... I just find it too depressing.
Old 14-08-2008, 21:46   #14065
phormwatch
Inactive

Kate Devlin, from the Torygraph article, doesn't say who these 'experts' are, and I can't see any reason why Phorm should be questioned about this matter over someone more qualified.

---------- Post added at 20:46 ---------- Previous post was at 20:43 ----------

Shall we ask her?

http://www.journalisted.com/kate-devlin
Old 14-08-2008, 21:48   #14066
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfProtection View Post
Ignoring Peoples "Right to Privacy" is a form of Slavery & carried to the extreme can even be worse than Slavery!
Indeed I was about to add, privacy is more than just having someone looking over your shoulder.

Its about the ability to conduct business in private, such as buying or selling, negotiating.

And its about democracy & freedom of speech too, the ability to discuss opinion and debate in private, without being forced to share that communication with a third party.

Don't underestimate the importance of privacy.
Old 14-08-2008, 21:48   #14067
NewsreadeR
Inactive

NewsreadeR is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lardycake View Post
BT & Microsoft + HMG, what a combination of ... I just find it too depressing.
WOW - Spied on, blue screens and lost cd's - Inspires me loads to order for my kids
Old 14-08-2008, 21:49   #14068
pseudonym
Inactive

pseudonym is on a distinguished roadpseudonym is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
Actually it is nothing to do with RIPA as RIPA covers interception. the regulations which cover recording phone calls are DPA not RIPA and DPA does not include organisations/companies or public authorities, only individuals. I did my home work on this before recording the call.
Ofcom's consumer advice indicates it is covered by RIPA http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archi...qs/prvfaq3.htm

Here's a quote about Ian Blair's recordings from http://www.out-law.com/page-6730

Quote:
According to Fiona Caskey, an Associate with Pinsent Masons, the law firm behind OUT-LAW.COM, since Lord Goldsmith was not aware that the conversation was being recorded it is possible that the recording was unlawful under RIPA and in breach of the first principle of the DPA.

She explains:

“The definition of intercepting a communication under section 2 (8) of RIPA is broad enough to cover recording a telephone conversation so as to make it available subsequently.
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...l1g2-l1p1-l2p8

Quote:
(8)
For the purposes of this section the cases in which any contents of a communication are to be taken to be made available to a person while being transmitted shall include any case in which any of the contents of the communication, while being transmitted, are diverted or recorded so as to be available to a person subsequently.

Anyway, I note according to http://security.homeoffice.gov.uk/ripa/about-ripa/ RIPA also covers "access to electronic data protected by encryption or passwords" - Presumably one good reason why Phorm will not be profiling sites using HTTP Basic access authentication.

EDIT: Ah, having just glanced though the ACT I see it is only regards compelling the disclosure of Passwords.

Yet here http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2559...-internet.html a Phorm spokesman is quoted as saying

"There are many things that consumers take for granted that rely on cookies, for example passwords to enter certain sites, or even that when you go to Amazon you don't have to sign in and that the site remembers your address.

"Turning cookies off makes using the internet a more frustrating experience."

So Phorm clearly understand that many password protected sites use cookies rather than http basic authentication - but they're yet to explain how they will avoid profiling such content...
Old 14-08-2008, 21:52   #14069
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

I notice we have about 45 guests on-line. Welcome to any new viewers.

If anybody wants a quick FAQ about webwise and Phorm and the dangers of, check out http://www.inphormationdesk.org/welcome.htm for some easy to digest information and some more interesting links.
Old 14-08-2008, 21:55   #14070
phormwatch
Inactive

Guests - if you are against Phorm spying on your internet connection, please don't forget to sign the 10 Downing Street Petition here:

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/ispphorm/

20 signatures to go before we reach 17,000.
Closed Thread