Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 18-07-2018, 15:33   #4426
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
So all channels to go , how to do we watch Football or the news ?
Streaming, of course. The same way as the World Cup was streamed on the i-Player. The same way as news is streamed on the i-Player. It's happening right now.

OK, I acknowledge existing problems - insufficient high speed broadband currently available, blocking, stuttering, latency and in some cases a total collapse of the service. However, these are early days, and great strides are being made now to resolve these issues. Streaming will be as reliable as any other media within the next few years.
Advertisement
Old 18-07-2018, 15:34   #4427
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

But you've just completely contradicted yourself there and said channels.

There will be channels for many years to come just not as many of them.
Old 18-07-2018, 15:44   #4428
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
But you've just completely contradicted yourself there and said channels.

There will be channels for many years to come just not as many of them.
What? I said 'conventional broadcast channels' as so many pedants keep criticising people for using the term 'linear channels' despite understanding exactly what is meant by the term.

By 'conventional broadcast channels' I suppose you could now argue that even streaming services have become 'conventional'. So how exactly would you prefer me to describe the likes of BBC1, ITV, etc in future to avoid offending your sensibilities?
Old 18-07-2018, 15:48   #4429
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Just because something is streamed doesn't make it not a channel.

How come live channels are still included in the US on services like Google TV , Sling TV , DirecTV Now , Hulu etc?
Old 18-07-2018, 16:08   #4430
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Just because something is streamed doesn't make it not a channel.

How come live channels are still included in the US on services like Google TV , Sling TV , DirecTV Now , Hulu etc?
A stream can be described as a channel, it is absolutely true, but you know as well as I do that this is not the commonly understood meaning of the word. However, I am not sure that you have internalised the fact that I was referring to 'conventionally broadcast channels'. Once again, you are using the word 'channels' in isolation when quoting my words back to me.

On your second point, and as I have said on a few occasions before, problems with streaming and broadband speeds need to be ironed out before programme providers decide to rely exclusively on streaming for live events.
Old 18-07-2018, 16:13   #4431
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

You keep saying this streaming is already done for live events , the BBC do it with IPlayer , VM do it on their TV Anywhere product , Sky do it with Sky Go , BT do it with their BT Sport app , NFL do it with NFL Game Pass the list goes on.

Channels and the TV guide will be around for many many years people certainly want On Demand but Sport , Live Events and News will certainly continue on channels as well Entertainment although I accept with fewer channels
Old 18-07-2018, 16:22   #4432
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
You keep saying this streaming is already done for live events , the BBC do it with IPlayer , VM do it on their TV Anywhere product , Sky do it with Sky Go , BT do it with their BT Sport app , NFL do it with NFL Game Pass the list goes on.

Channels and the TV guide will be around for many many years people certainly want On Demand but Sport , Live Events and News will certainly continue on channel as well Entertainment although I accept with fewer channels
If you mean for the next decade or so, you have no argument with me. But the longer term future does not bode well for the 'TV guide' if you will, and as far as I can tell from your comments, you have no actual basis for saying that they will still keep going for years and years after that.

The trends are already there for all to see and the BBC have come to terms with that already and are planning for this eventuality.

It's simple economics that as less advertising money comes in due to falling audiences, services will decline. In two or three years, I would say, pay tv channels will start closing down. It's all right at the moment, and they are coping, but it won't last.
Old 18-07-2018, 16:52   #4433
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Your crystal ball needs polishing OB let's be honest you have a track record of bad predictions.
Old 18-07-2018, 22:45   #4434
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
If you mean for the next decade or so, you have no argument with me. But the longer term future does not bode well for the 'TV guide' if you will, and as far as I can tell from your comments, you have no actual basis for saying that they will still keep going for years and years after that.

The trends are already there for all to see and the BBC have come to terms with that already and are planning for this eventuality.

It's simple economics that as less advertising money comes in due to falling audiences, services will decline. In two or three years, I would say, pay tv channels will start closing down. It's all right at the moment, and they are coping, but it won't last.

I don't know old you are OB - but if you are saying the status quo will exist for at least a decade, I am not sure why we are bothering with this huge thread.
Old 18-07-2018, 23:30   #4435
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
I don't know old you are OB - but if you are saying the status quo will exist for at least a decade, I am not sure why we are bothering with this huge thread.
The trend will be in evidence before then, but nobody ever said it was imminent.

---------- Post added at 23:30 ---------- Previous post was at 23:28 ----------

Quote:
Your crystal ball needs polishing OB let's be honest you have a track record of bad predictions.
Well, you seem to be stealing pages from Den's book. As you well know, these are my views of the future, so I don't know where you get the idea that I have a record of bad predictions. We haven't got there yet!
Old 19-07-2018, 01:04   #4436
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
Amazon planning it's own TV set.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...-sky-smart-tv/

I'm aware they have something similar in the US but they're looking at the UK market.
It'll be a Freeview set with built in Prime and Alexa.

I tried to find a non-subscription link but failed.
More info

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/...re-tv-built-in
Old 19-07-2018, 05:14   #4437
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Well, you seem to be stealing pages from Den's book. As you well know, these are my views of the future, so I don't know where you get the idea that I have a record of bad predictions. We haven't got there yet!
Well l was absent yesterday so you cannot lay the blame at my door dear.
Old 19-07-2018, 18:19   #4438
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Don't VM already allow it's subscribers to sub through them for the Hayu app ?

It seems Now TV are also following suit
Link

Not my cup of tea personally
Old 19-07-2018, 18:23   #4439
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Don't VM already allow it's subscribers to sub through them for the Hayu app ?

It seems Now TV are also following suit
Link

Not my cup of tea personally
Hayu is 'free' on Virgin if you have the Full House subscription.
Old 19-07-2018, 18:25   #4440
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Hayu is 'free' on Virgin if you have the Full House subscription.
Thanks for the info wasn't aware of that, do you check in on The Kardashians from time to time ?
Closed Thread