Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Fast Forward

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Fast Forward

Old 26-04-2018, 14:38   #16
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Fast Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Does the V6 use the same version of All4 that Youview does?
No. Channel 4 content on Virgin Media is hosted on VM's On Demand platform.

---------- Post added at 13:38 ---------- Previous post was at 13:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
Prefer it as it SP, got ffw down to a fine art.
Just to point out the reason it's being fixed is that it's currently different behaviour between HD and SD channels.

So the fix is to bring back the consistent timing of FF / RW across all channels.
Old 27-04-2018, 15:54   #17
trickytree
cf.addict

Services: VVIP500
trickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about them

Doesn't seem to be consistent across all the HD channels but I like the ultra fast speed just the annoying part of the jump back is loads more than it normally is.
Certainly helpful with the compression as I can see a big difference in % used or not used with my recordings.
Just need to work my way through all the old stuff to get full benefit from it.
trickytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 18:14   #18
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

To me it's like the start of the old Thunderbirds series when they showed rapid clips of the upcoming story... and usually giving the game away.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 21:15   #19
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickytree View Post
Doesn't seem to be consistent across all the HD channels but I like the ultra fast speed just the annoying part of the jump back is loads more than it normally is.
Certainly helpful with the compression as I can see a big difference in % used or not used with my recordings.
Just need to work my way through all the old stuff to get full benefit from it.
ITV HD never went fast as this channel hasn't yet been converted to MPEG4, unlike the other HD channels which is when this anomaly began.

Having said that, unless i'm imagining it, some HD recordings made today appear to be fixed and others still going ultra fast. Has anyone else noticed this?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 21:37   #20
raylove
Inactive

raylove is an unknown quantity at this point

This issue is really annoying, so much so that I stopped watching and recording HD channels and have only watched SD in the last few months (big difference when you are close up to the screen but can barely tell the difference when sitting back on the sofa so it makes no difference).

Well, we had an update last week and I thought that this was supposed to include a fix. In fact it is worse as the issue is now across ALL channels. HD and SD !!

I'm still sticking with SD though because there is another issue with HD since the move to MPEG4 - whenever I switch to an HD channel or start an HD recording my TV switches to a different input (my unused aerial input) and I have to rummage around for the TV remote to switch it back. As my TiVo remote controls everything else I don't use the TV remote for anything else so it is never handy. Only happens on HD and since the MPEG4 switch - possibly a fault with my TV rather than TiVo but, whatever, nothing much I can do other than avoid HD for now.
raylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 22:38   #21
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

I was still having the same problem until today, after I upgraded to the V6. Now it's ok.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 00:04   #22
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylove View Post
This issue is really annoying, so much so that I stopped watching and recording HD channels and have only watched SD in the last few months (big difference when you are close up to the screen but can barely tell the difference when sitting back on the sofa so it makes no difference).

Well, we had an update last week and I thought that this was supposed to include a fix. In fact it is worse as the issue is now across ALL channels. HD and SD !!

I'm still sticking with SD though because there is another issue with HD since the move to MPEG4 - whenever I switch to an HD channel or start an HD recording my TV switches to a different input (my unused aerial input) and I have to rummage around for the TV remote to switch it back. As my TiVo remote controls everything else I don't use the TV remote for anything else so it is never handy. Only happens on HD and since the MPEG4 switch - possibly a fault with my TV rather than TiVo but, whatever, nothing much I can do other than avoid HD for now.
This ^ ^
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 00:20   #23
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

Have you considered upgrading to the V6?
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 09:35   #24
raylove
Inactive

At the end of last year I considered leaving VM following the latest price hike. I negotiated a significant reduction in price, partly due to having an older box, so I am reluctant to upgrade and lose that bargaining chip. Also, I am of the opinion that if ain't broke don't fix it, and up until recently I have been perfectly satisfied with my existing box. Across the family we have a lot of recorded stuff that we would lose too! Nonetheless, if the performance continues as it is I guess I will have to change.
Old 02-07-2018, 20:11   #25
raylove
Inactive

This last update has caused all sorts of issues. Not only is the fast forward issue worse then ever (see my earlier post) but I am getting all other kinds of issues. For instance, if I pause live TV and then resume watching, if I have scheduled a recording to start on the same channel, as soon as that recording starts, the delayed TV that I am watching jumps to 'live' with no ability to rewind. So I miss what I was watching and pausing of live TV becomes a useless feature. This happens if there is only one recording scheduled - it is not because I have used up all three inputs.
Also, on Sunday I was watching a program whilst it was still recording. As soon as the recording stopped, the recording that I was watching reverted to live TV. I had to re-locate the recording where I found that the 'resume' function wasn't operative. I had to wind forward to try to find where I was when I was unceremoniously kicked out!
These are just a couple of examples of strange behavior that I have encountered since the latest update. Why can't they just leave things as they are when they are working!!?
Rant over....
Old 02-07-2018, 21:04   #26
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
This last update has caused all sorts of issues. Not only is the fast forward issue worse then ever (see my earlier post) but I am getting all other kinds of issues. For instance, if I pause live TV and then resume watching, if I have scheduled a recording to start on the same channel, as soon as that recording starts, the delayed TV that I am watching jumps to 'live' with no ability to rewind. So I miss what I was watching and pausing of live TV becomes a useless feature. This happens if there is only one recording scheduled - it is not because I have used up all three inputs.
Also, on Sunday I was watching a program whilst it was still recording. As soon as the recording stopped, the recording that I was watching reverted to live TV. I had to re-locate the recording where I found that the 'resume' function wasn't operative. I had to wind forward to try to find where I was when I was unceremoniously kicked out!
These are just a couple of examples of strange behavior that I have encountered since the latest update. Why can't they just leave things as they are when they are working!!?
Rant over....
Sounds as if it really is broke, then!

If a re-boot at the plug doesn't work, time to get a V6, I think!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote