Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] Promote your own website

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Internet Discussion

[Merged] Promote your own website

Old 24-08-2003, 23:16   #76
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star
Yes it was my first attempt Mal
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-08-2003, 23:23   #77
Stuart W
Inactive

Services: BroadBand 4M
Stuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to Stuart W
OK, the forums arn;t your fault in terms of pop-ups and overall design, but YOU are the one thatsigned up for such crud!

I'm not being nasty on a personal basis, but you did post it here knowing we would go take a look... you realy shouldn't have biged it up!

You should have gone for something like.....

I have set up my first website. The forum area is hosted by another company and uses pop-up adverts, does anyone know of a better free one?

now, take a look at some of the other sites on this thread and click on peoples "WWW" links to get an idea of the kind of standards you are being compared with before saying "mines pretty good".
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2003, 23:26   #78
grum1978
Inactive

grum1978 will become famous soon enoughgrum1978 will become famous soon enoughgrum1978 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to grum1978
ok...Chill out please people

i don't think it all that fair to say that anyones website is 'crap' or not very good. People should recognise that making a website is an achievement in itself and if you can give someone productive advice all the better.

Lets not forget life is one big learning curve

I am currently 'building' my first website so i will be looking for any useful tips when i post the link
grum1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2003, 23:31   #79
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Quote:
Originally posted by Stuart W
Might improve his web design tho

Or at least encourage him to get shot of that awfull "FREE" board which opens a whole new browser for an add with every click!
I doubt that constant criticisim does much good for any one's learning curve.It just makes them defensive.
Now if you had said that it was a good start for someone his/her age but then went on to offer suggestions it might have been a way to educate him/her and encourage them on to better things.

I have to say I've got rather tired of the jump on anyone attitude that is becoming prevelent at this site.How about giving folk the benefit of doubt EVERYONE,not just Stuart.

WNS-It was a good start at your first attempt.However if you ask nicely around the board I'm sure some kind person will give you some advice and help IF you want to improve it or do do an even better site.I can't help you I'm afraid as I just use Namo webeditor myself.

Incog.Getting off her teachers box.
Old 24-08-2003, 23:32   #80
Stuart W
Inactive

Stuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally posted by grum1978
<snip>I am currently 'building' my first website so i will be looking for any useful tips when i post the link
Bit of advice....

When you post the link here DON'T say "It's pretty good" just stick with it's my first attempt, what do you tjink?

Or, what kind of improvements could I make? etc.
Old 24-08-2003, 23:36   #81
grum1978
Inactive

grum1978 will become famous soon enoughgrum1978 will become famous soon enoughgrum1978 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to grum1978
Quote:
Bit of advice....

When you post the link here DON'T say "It's pretty good" just stick with it's my first attempt, what do you tjink?

Thats exactly what i would do as i know that a lot of people on this website do this kind of thing for a living or are very good at it.

I think i will need all the help i can get when you all get to see it
grum1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2003, 23:41   #82
Seb
Inactive

Seb is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Bit of advice....

Yeah, well put really. I dont want to get onto anybodys side (especially as i'm creating me first website too!!) but, i thought that WNA your approach was well... how do you put it... a little forthright.

Hey we all had/have to start from somewhere, but just thing about your approach. You'll receive a welcome response if you approach the people nicely on here

Seb
Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2003, 23:44   #83
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Quote:
Originally posted by grum1978
Thats exactly what i would do as i know that a lot of people on this website do this kind of thing for a living or are very good at it.

I think i will need all the help i can get when you all get to see it
Personally I wouldn't bother.I'm doing my website for me not anyone else.I hope people will like it because of the subject and will overlook any deficiencies of web design because I'm not really interested in web design or coding.It's the subject that matters to me.

Incog.
Old 25-08-2003, 00:02   #84
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
From the attitude I thought KA was back
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2003, 00:10   #85
ic14
Permanently Banned

ic14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to ic14
I admit it i know WNA, he lives near me.
ic14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2003, 00:30   #86
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

If anyones got any tips on how to improve my site let me know. Also i could do with some help. and im sorry about all the things i said. I will be more posotive from now on.
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2003, 00:38   #87
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Well said.

Now is anyone else going to say sorry?

Incog
Old 25-08-2003, 00:59   #88
Alan Waddington
Inactive

Alan Waddington has a spectacular aura about themAlan Waddington has a spectacular aura about themAlan Waddington has a spectacular aura about themAlan Waddington has a spectacular aura about them
For a first attempt I don't think WNA's webpage is the worst I've seen by a long chalk. Cheer yourself up with this When its done, don't forget to click on the link on the last page. If you miss it it's here . Feel any better

Alan
Alan Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2003, 00:59   #89
Stuart W
Inactive

I have nowt to appologise for.

Right, positive tips....

Consider dropping the script for the text to scroll round the mouse. It uses more bandwidth than the rest of the whole page.

Spruce up the front page with some pics and a background colour.

Have a look on Google for other 'free' forums with either no popups or limited to one popup per session.

Have a good look at other peoples personal homepages and get some design ideas that way. If you see something you like, take a look at the HTML source to see how it's done, then incorporate it into your own site. A bit like you would have for the script

HTH
Old 25-08-2003, 11:47   #90
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Does anyone know of a site where i can:
1. Sign up for a FREE forum
2. with no pop ups

if anyones got any suggestions let me know