Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | O2 having a few issues

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Telco Services Discussion

VOIP

Old 15-10-2018, 13:57   #1
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
VOIP

Will Virgin ever go down this route?

http://www.talktechdaily.com/new-pho...HktY2FibGUtc2M
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-10-2018, 14:07   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: VOIP

Virgin are already using it as posted here https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...5&postcount=48

This is provided through the dedicated phone ports on the Hub 3 and matches the phone service in other areas in pricing and features.
Old 15-10-2018, 14:39   #3
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Thx Ben, so do you know how much this costs as compared to the present line rental charges?

Thx
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 15:00   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Exactly the same - but it's not something you can choose.

Virgin Media use both methods of providing a phone service at the moment. It all depends on where you live as to which one you get.

But eventually they'll want to move everyone over to the new technology as the old copper network is expensive to run and is limited in what you can do with it for future improvements.
Old 15-10-2018, 19:44   #5
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I don't know if I like VOIP.

We have it at work, the Cat5 goes into the phone, and a cat5 comes from the phone to a hub I have on my desk.

The sound sometimes sounds rubbish, and in a power cut will we lose the phone?
Old 15-10-2018, 22:00   #6
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
The sound sometimes sounds rubbish, and in a power cut will we lose the phone?
Depends on the setup in your office, same as it depends on how each provider does their home service.

But OFCOM have published guidance this month as to what they expect a residential VoIP service to do:
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultatio...ions-power-cut
Old 16-10-2018, 11:35   #7
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all

Do you think VM would have line rental charges for VOIP?
JPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 12:48   #8
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Depends on the setup in your office, same as it depends on how each provider does their home service.

But OFCOM have published guidance this month as to what they expect a residential VoIP service to do:
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultatio...ions-power-cut
Good document - lots of detail.

I like the bits that say you can be "at risk" if you don't have a mobile phone in addition to the more obvious (disabled, infirm). I also like the fact that it is tech neutral - providers have to provide a means to contact the emergency services for at least 1 hour (too short) during a power cut and that should be "free" - but doesn't dictate what the solution is.

I don't like the idea that one solution is to offer a free emergency use mobile, that still needs to be kept charged and findable. My corded phone is near the front door so can get light from street and I know where it is.
Old 16-10-2018, 12:58   #9
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
I don't like the idea that one solution is to offer a free emergency use mobile, that still needs to be kept charged and findable. My corded phone is near the front door so can get light from street and I know where it is.
Virgin Media's current solution is a mobile signal connected base station that's charged from the mains and has a standard landline socket on it. It sits in-between the Hub and the a wired handset and kicks in if there is a power loss.

So pick up the handset normally and you'll use your landline - pick it up if there is no power and it's connect over a mobile signal.

Last edited by BenMcr; 16-10-2018 at 13:02.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 13:06   #10
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

If you can get a mobile signal - I have a pico station to route mobile over BB.
Old 16-10-2018, 13:18   #11
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
If you can get a mobile signal - I have a pico station to route mobile over BB.
Which wouldn't work if the power went out.

But Emergency calls work on any available network, no matter who a SIM is with.
Old 11-11-2018, 13:44   #12
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Isn't VOIP pointless if you can use Video call instead?
Old 11-11-2018, 14:08   #13
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Isn't VOIP pointless if you can use Video call instead?

I personally wouldn't want to look at the other person on the end of a call most of the time, but then i hate using the phone.
Old 11-11-2018, 17:58   #14
crowarth
cf.member

Services: Voom Fibre Option 3, 13 static IP addresses
crowarth is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to crowarth

i recently moved away from the old VM copper telephone line to a voip provider. costs me about 5 quid a month, and i ported my number over as well.

granted what i have is more complicated than what the average consumer wants/needs as i run my own PBX from home over my business broadband. but i also have a mobile phone as well for should i need it.

only gone this route due to the type of work i do and the fact that i save myself ~30 quid a month too from not having the phone line (and the TV, as i cancelled that too)
crowarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 21:17   #15
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPAC View Post
Do you think VM would have line rental charges for VOIP?
See post #2.
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote