Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)
Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 23:09   #2101
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)

On cable I suspect they'd average out at 2 SD channels / 1 HD channel. HD seems to average about 6-7 Mb/sec. The standard definition versions of Sky Sports channels are higher than this at one extreme at 8 Mb/sec, others go as low as 1.3 Mb/sec.

I agree each individual channel won't save much space, but 38 of them certainly adds up.

I would imagine that the numbers with SD sets are low - but I suspect the SD only STBs have been withdrawn and there's no technical reason the remaining STBs with scart couldn't downscale the HD variant if this restriction is still in place. There will probably be a point it's more cost effective to give away HDTVs than maintain an SD service if that's the reason!
Advertisement
Old 13-09-2018, 19:51   #2102
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/bundles/vip.html was the list I used - but I do know that packages change quite regularly and some people remain on old packages. And websites go out of date!

I've had a look into the Tivo/scart issue and can't see any posts about it - presumably something that can be resolved with a software update if it is still an issue? Anyone got a Tivo and a scart cable handy?
Have a TiVo and use both hdmi and scart lead .so the signal goes to two tv,s .No problems with it at all ,hd works on both TVs clearly only one is in hd but no problems with the picture l get.

---------- Post added at 18:51 ---------- Previous post was at 18:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Indie that a couple of weeks ago - no mention how long this free access lasts for either on the website or in the confirmation email.

Also no indication that you are signing up for x months or starting a new 12 month contract with Virgin.
I was told keep contract ,keep premier .but who knows. With regard to recording pro 14 I use manual and just look at kick off times readly available on the net.Having said that premier repeat the games so many times not really required
Old 13-09-2018, 20:28   #2103
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I've had a look into the Tivo/scart issue and can't see any posts about it - presumably something that can be resolved with a software update if it is still an issue? Anyone got a Tivo and a scart cable handy?
I can't think of any TiVo issue like that. Perhaps someone is thinking about the old Scientific-Atlanta V+?
Old 13-09-2018, 21:20   #2104
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Thanks itshim for testing, and spiderplant for giving your take on it.
Old 14-09-2018, 12:01   #2105
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

The HD signal works down the Scart cables.

It worked in the Tivo boxes pre V6 box. My son had a scart connecting his old TV to the Tivo and the HD channels worked fine through it. Can't see a reason for not getting rid of the SD channels (that don't have a HD variant) now.
Old 15-09-2018, 06:41   #2106
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

UHD channel 999 EPG is now there.
Old 15-09-2018, 12:23   #2107
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Virgin TV EPG Updated

The short / long titles are now:
100 Showcase / Virgin TV Highlights
300 Music / New Music On Demand
400 Movies / Virgin Movies & Store
700 Kids / Kids TV On Demand
968 For Parents / A Message For Parents
985 For Parents / A Message For Parents
997 Welcome / Virgin TV For Newbies
998 What's On / Virgin TV Highlights
999 Ultra HD / Virgin TV Ultra HD
Old 15-09-2018, 13:17   #2108
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMaster View Post
Virgin TV EPG Updated

On 999 repeats of shows start quickly, it’s good but underwhelming. What customers want like premier league and movies we can’t get till if all end of next year
Old 15-09-2018, 14:24   #2109
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 View Post
On 999 repeats of shows start quickly, it’s good but underwhelming. What customers want like premier league and movies we can’t get till if all end of next year
Might be a bit daft but I never get the whole need for ultra HD. HD alone is good enough. In fact i sometimes forget there is a HD channel and watch the SD stuff. I sound really old fashioned in a sense and i'm only at my early 30s. Its my birthday next month btw fans....

As someone who once watched a portable tv in my bedroom and had to adjust the aerial constantly to get a clear picture going from HD to UHD seems....rather pointless. I can view the tv. Its a crystal clear picture. Why do i want to see the sweat on someones brow? Again an utterly pointless opinion and i'm utterly in the minority i know.
Old 15-09-2018, 17:09   #2110
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMaster View Post
Virgin TV EPG Updated

The new channels names appeared early Friday at Media Boy HQ.

---------- Post added at 16:09 ---------- Previous post was at 16:03 ----------

a516Digital is reporting that Motorsport TV will soon close on all TV networks.

http://www.a516digital.com/2018/09/m...line-only.html
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 15-09-2018, 18:56   #2111
jfman
Architect of Ideas

I did some digging into the network upgrades - with some areas on 750mhz networks and others on 860mhz I decided to look for figures on this.

At year end 2015 only 13% of homes were on 860mhz capable networks, in 2016 this rose to 25% and at 31/12/2017 this figure was 78%.

I suppose the next question is whether the new kit is 1Ghz capable (approx 65% of the network upgraded since 31/12/2015).
Old 16-09-2018, 01:41   #2112
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
Might be a bit daft but I never get the whole need for ultra HD. HD alone is good enough. In fact i sometimes forget there is a HD channel and watch the SD stuff. I sound really old fashioned in a sense and i'm only at my early 30s. Its my birthday next month btw fans....

As someone who once watched a portable tv in my bedroom and had to adjust the aerial constantly to get a clear picture going from HD to UHD seems....rather pointless. I can view the tv. Its a crystal clear picture. Why do i want to see the sweat on someones brow? Again an utterly pointless opinion and i'm utterly in the minority i know.
Just one word in reply

Philistine

Actually 2 - Luddite
Old 16-09-2018, 13:17   #2113
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Just one word in reply

Philistine

Actually 2 - Luddite
Sorry for once I agree with Vince .think 3d TVs , laser disks ( I fell for that one) have 90" screen and then the details are very clear in hd .But would I waste good money for ultra HD
don't think so.sitting now looking at 2 42" screens side by side 1 hd and the other via scart in what is sd (but in fact Hd feed) I can not see any difference. I guess that in this case size does make a difference , many to the profit companies selling this to the gullable , emperor's New clothes comes to mind!
Old 16-09-2018, 13:40   #2114
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Long term though it's not just about the resolution.

HDR is a noticeable difference, so anyone with a 4K HDR compatible TV will get a quality bump over both SD and HD when HDR is standard across all 4K broadcasts.

But getting HDR to be included is the current technical challenge faced by all broadcasters. That's why the BBC trial during the summer wasn't just about 4K's bandwidth requirements, but also (and mainly) about how well HLG HDR would work.

It's not been completely settled how HDR will work in the DVB standard either - https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2017...adata-for-hdr/

Even if it has been sorted since the above was written, it will take time for all playout technology to be updated to copy with HDR standards.

Last edited by BenMcr; 16-09-2018 at 13:45.
Old 16-09-2018, 14:31   #2115
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Sorry for once I agree with Vince .think 3d TVs , laser disks ( I fell for that one) have 90" screen and then the details are very clear in hd .But would I waste good money for ultra HD
don't think so.sitting now looking at 2 42" screens side by side 1 hd and the other via scart in what is sd (but in fact Hd feed) I can not see any difference. I guess that in this case size does make a difference , many to the profit companies selling this to the gullable , emperor's New clothes comes to mind!
haha i like the "for once i agree" do i usually talk rubbish on here? Haha actually dont answer that! No doubt once UHD becomes the norm the television companies will create a new type of television to get us to invest further.
Closed Thread